[GUIDE] How to Root & S-OFF HTC Sensation - HBOOT 1.27.0000 & Firmware 3.33!

Search This thread

Jon.W

Feb 12, 2012
Worcester
Hey Guys.
Due to the lack of simple NOOB Guides I've decided to make one for all the noobs out there.
(Including me. The amount of help I needed was unimaginable!)
This is the way I gained root and S-OFF. I thought I would help others by telling them my own method.
I HOLD NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR A BRICKED PHONE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

STEP 1 - Unlocking the Bootloader.

Visit - www.htcdev.com and pick the Sensation that YOU have.
Here's how you can find out which Sensation you have.
Sensation 4G (T-Mobile) will have a 'customised' T-Mobile case saying 'T-Mobile' in the corner.
Sensation - Vodafone - Will have come with 'branded' firmware. (Vodafone symbol comes up when booting up phone.) Another way of spotting is having random apps. e.g. Music Store.
Sensation (Normal) - Pretty self-explanatory. No symbol when starting up phone, no apps just plain and simple.
REMEMBER TO CHECK USB DEBUGGING

Once you have chosen your correct phone follow the steps for unlocking the bootloader.
When you have completed all the steps on www.htcdev.com you will notice that when you hold 'power' and 'volume down' it says:
***UNLOCKED***
Which obviously means you have unlocked the bootloader.

STEP 2 - Gaining 'S-OFF'

Follow juopunutbear's guide on gaining S-OFF here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1614617
I know - using a paperclip? Trust me, worth every bit of time. If it doesn't work then try and try again.

When you've gained 'S-OFF' you should notice that when you hold 'power' and 'volume down' it says:
***UNLOCKED***
PYRAMID PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
HBOOT: 1.27.0000 S-OFF

Which is great!

STEP 3 - Flashing a new recovery

The way I flashed a new recovery was extremely quick and easy:
Download this AMAZING Tool-Kit: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1497404
All credit goes to hansoon2000!

Power on your phone.
Check you have USB DEBUGGING Enabled.
Plug your phone into your computer.
Make sure you have drivers enabled. (Unlocking the bootloader should of made you download 'HTC SYNC' for the drivers.)
UN-INSTALL HTC SYNC.
Unplug your phone from the usb cable so it enables you to power off.
Hold 'power' and 'volume down' and press power on 'FASTBOOT'
You've entered FASTBOOT.
Plug the USB Cable back into the phone.
Do not touch anything on the phone.
Go onto your computer and open up the HTC ALL IN ONE KIT.
In the top right-hand corner you will see a list of recoveries.
Click 4-EXT.
I've done a picture to help in attachments.
Your phone will go through numerous screens etc. but don't worry! It's flashing your new recovery! So long stock recovery!
When it has finished remember to check if it has worked!
When it has then congrats! Now onto root...

STEP 4 - Gaining Root

Use the All-in-One-Kit that you downloaded earlier for flashing the recovery to gain root. Read the instructions below.

Assuming you're doing this straight after the last step then you will not need to enter fastboot again, etc.
If not read through the last step again until OPENING THE HTC ALL IN ONE KIT.
This time in the bottom right hand corner you should see perm-root.
SEE ATTACHMENTS FOR A PICTURE.
Click it and let the program install Superuser and gain root access.

You should see SuperUser installed!

If all goes well then Congrats! You have successfully rooted and S-OFF'd your phone.
Now! Who wants a nice new ROM!?

Check this thread by walidhazem for a list of every ROM being developed for the Sensation: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1613295

Hit thanks if I helped, this post took a lot of time and effort!

Attachments

• allinonekitred.png
    allinonekitred.png
    132.3 KB · Views: 23,417
  • allinonekitroot.png
    allinonekitroot.png
    107.9 KB · Views: 18,383
Last edited:

ganeshp

Mar 15, 2012
Hyderabad
small corrections :)

When you've gained 'S-OFF' you should notice that when you hold 'power' and 'volume down' it says:
***UNLOCKED***

Which is great!

after SOFF ..either the person wll have LOCKED hboot or Juopunutbear HBOOT (if he said yes to eng-hboot after soff is done) but no way it stays UNLOCKED

also after doing HTC-DEV unlock and before doing SOFF ..the person should have ROOT too (actually juopunutbear requires root access only which then can be granted via HTC-DEV unlock only ;) )
ROOT is a per-requisite to SOFF

and to just root ..no need to have recovery (unless the guy wants to flash some custom roms) ..he/she can use my one click root tool ..link in my signature (works if the guys just have HTC-DEV unlock too :) )

and lastly ..there are enough guides already i think :) ..auggie2k soff guide (which you have linked ) covers the standard SOFF process which has HTC-DEV unlock ..and my guide covers NON HTC-DEV method of SOFF

and for root ..my guide covers it and there is a old guide by VIPERX i believe covers rooting by flashing su zip, also kgs aio tool and hansoons tool covers them too :)

just my 2 cents here

Jon.W

Feb 12, 2012
Worcester

after SOFF ..either the person wll have LOCKED hboot or Juopunutbear HBOOT (if he said yes to eng-hboot after soff is done) but no way it stays UNLOCKED

also after doing HTC-DEV unlock and before doing SOFF ..the person should have ROOT too (actually juopunutbear requires root access only which then can be granted via HTC-DEV unlock only ;) )

and to just root ..no need to have recovery (unless the guy wants to flash some custom roms) ..he/she can use my one click root tool ..link in my signature (works if the guys just have HTC-DEV unlock too :) )

and lastly ..there are enough guides already i think :) ..auggie2k soff guide (which you have linked ) covers the standard SOFF process which has HTC-DEV unlock ..and my guide covers NON HTC-DEV method of SOFF

and for root ..my guide covers it and there is a old guide by VIPERX i believe covers rooting by flashing su zip, also kgs aio tool and hansoons tool covers them too :)

just my 2 cents here

I flashed my recovery before root;)

anish.2010

Jan 3, 2012
noob here ..need help

i am havin htc sensation xe with hboot 1.29 and firmware 3.33.720.106.
i like to do s-off without htcdev.com unlock bootloader method but in my laptop only usb 3.0 ports are there.so will the s-off fail i use the usb 3.0 port.
for installing rom i need s-off only or requires rooting also?
can i flash elegancia rom with this firmware or do i need to do use 3.33 universal firmware given in the elegancia rom thread.

rzr86

May 21, 2012
Nafpaktos
i like to do s-off without htcdev.com unlock bootloader method but in my laptop only usb 3.0 ports are there.so will the s-off fail i use the usb 3.0 port.
can i flash elegancia rom with this firmware or do i need to do use 3.33 universal firmware given in the elegancia rom thread.

i think with usb 3.0 ports it won't work but i 'm not totally sure
for installing roms you can do it also with S-ON but requires root.see here
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1631861
about elegancia i don't know the answer but you can ask there(in my opinion it is not necessary)

Reactions: anish.2010

Fakhri 19

Apr 9, 2012
I was using a method which was in Bahasa (INA), its also similar to your guide, but for ROOT, thats the different. It looks like using old method. But the final result is SuperUser app. :)

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using xda premium

ShadowmanX5

Oct 12, 2012
On the verge of giving up...

Ok I have followed this guide, looked at multiple others and tried a variety of restarting, uninstalling, re-installing and a myriad of other methods to get this to work and now I really am starting to become frustrated. I wouldn't class myself as someone who is a complete noob, I did manage to root my HTC Desire so I have some understanding of the whole framework, however, I am a noob to these forums so be gentle please :)

I have a HTC Sensation, I have managed to unlock the bootloader using htcdev guide, I have also managed to flash the touch version of ClockworkMod. Now comes the problem of S-off, the guide that you link too says that you must be rooted before attempting, so I scrolled down and read your method on how to root. I can not find the 4-EXT in the recovery list so I got the touch ClockworkMod, now I don't know exactly what the difference is between these and nothing comes up in the "Attachment Thumbnail."

So my problem here, running Windows Vista 32 bit, I plug in my Sensation, USB debugging enables, open the HTC One X All-In-One Kit and highlight "Perm Root (GB/ICS)". Click Run and so my phone boots up into ClockworkMod, now this is where the problem begins, my laptop then starts looking for "MTP Device" driver and just keeps searching, never finds it and never stops until I unplug it. When I unplug it or restart the phone, the little pop up states "MTP Device installed" however it hasn't because it stills says "Searching preconfigured driver folders". Now the problem with this is that when I start the rooting process on the Command Prompt it just tells me there is an error and it can't find the device.

Now I have tried uninstalling the htc drivers, unistalling other drivers, restarting the laptop, the phone, factory reset the phone, all sorts. So if someone could please shine some light on this for me because I can't see where I'm going wrong with this. Just to add some factors in case they matter, my phone is UK branded from the company "3" it has the 3 logo when it boots up an various 3 apps on the phone. Much appreciated from anyone who can help me with this, I will use the "Thank" button to all those who answer with a valid point so please, any ideas would be grateful.

ganeshp

Mar 15, 2012
Hyderabad
Ok I have followed this guide, looked at multiple others and tried a variety of restarting, uninstalling, re-installing and a myriad of other methods to get this to work and now I really am starting to become frustrated. I wouldn't class myself as someone who is a complete noob, I did manage to root my HTC Desire so I have some understanding of the whole framework, however, I am a noob to these forums so be gentle please :)

I have a HTC Sensation, I have managed to unlock the bootloader using htcdev guide, I have also managed to flash the touch version of ClockworkMod. Now comes the problem of S-off, the guide that you link too says that you must be rooted before attempting, so I scrolled down and read your method on how to root. I can not find the 4-EXT in the recovery list so I got the touch ClockworkMod, now I don't know exactly what the difference is between these and nothing comes up in the "Attachment Thumbnail."

So my problem here, running Windows Vista 32 bit, I plug in my Sensation, USB debugging enables, open the HTC One X All-In-One Kit and highlight "Perm Root (GB/ICS)". Click Run and so my phone boots up into ClockworkMod, now this is where the problem begins, my laptop then starts looking for "MTP Device" driver and just keeps searching, never finds it and never stops until I unplug it. When I unplug it or restart the phone, the little pop up states "MTP Device installed" however it hasn't because it stills says "Searching preconfigured driver folders". Now the problem with this is that when I start the rooting process on the Command Prompt it just tells me there is an error and it can't find the device.

Now I have tried uninstalling the htc drivers, unistalling other drivers, restarting the laptop, the phone, factory reset the phone, all sorts. So if someone could please shine some light on this for me because I can't see where I'm going wrong with this. Just to add some factors in case they matter, my phone is UK branded from the company "3" it has the 3 logo when it boots up an various 3 apps on the phone. Much appreciated from anyone who can help me with this, I will use the "Thank" button to all those who answer with a valid point so please, any ideas would be grateful.

i totally lolled at the bold sentence of your post
anyways you just want root right

ditch the HTC-ONE-X-TOOL completely its for ONE-X
the same dev made a sensation all in one tool kit too ..its one of sticky thread in sensation development section

anyways as you just need root
use my one click root ...link in my signature (you just need to have drivers installed ..if you dont have drivers check in per-requisites section )

thats all

also you can use kgs super utility for root too ..its a sticky in sensation development section too :)

Reactions: ShadowmanX5

LBH021

Nov 29, 2012
Problems with Step 2 - HELP!

Hi Guys,

Im having significant trouble getting through the below instructions - im completely new to this so apologies if i have missed something obvious!#

I have completed step 1 of this without any issues and can see my HTC Sensation is *** UNLOCKED ***. However, i dont seem to be able to complete step 2 point 2 successfully.

Id appreciate an idiots guide to completing step 2.2 onwards if someone could oblige? With special focus on 2 - Restore to Stock 3.32 Rooted ROM & 3 - Flash boot.img from Stock 3.32 Rooted ROM in Fastboot.

Cheers!

Hey Guys.
Due to the lack of simple NOOB Guides I've decided to make one for all the noobs out there.
This is the way that I found out just by pure luck.

Sensation 4G (T-Mobile) will have a 'customised' T-Mobile case saying 'T-Mobile' in the corner.
Sensation - Vodafone - Will have come with 'branded' firmware. (Vodafone symbol comes up when booting up phone.) Another way of spotting is having random apps. e.g. Music Store.
Sensation (Normal) - Pretty self-explanatory. No symbol when starting up phone, no apps just plain and simple.

Once you have chosen your correct phone follow the steps for unlocking the bootloader.
When you have completed all the steps on www.htcdev.com you will notice that when you hold 'power' and 'volume down' it says:
***UNLOCKED***

STEP 2 - Gaining 'S-OFF'

Follow juopunutbear's guide on gaining S-OFF here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1614617
I know - using a paperclip? Trust me, worth every bit of time. If it doesn't work then try and try again.

***UNLOCKED***

Which is great!

The way I gained perm-root was pretty amazing.

Power on your phone.
Make sure you have drivers enabled. (Unlocking the bootloader should of made you download 'HTC SYNC' for the drivers. UN-INSTALL HTC SYNC.)
Unplug your phone from the cable so it enables you to power off.
You've entered FASTBOOT.
Do not touch anything.
Click 4-EXT.
Your phone will go through numerous screens etc. but don't worry! It's flashing your new recovery! So long stock recovery!

STEP 4 - Gaining Root

The way I gained perm-root was pretty amazing.

Assuming you're doing this straight after the last step then you will not need to enter fastboot again, etc.

If all goes well then Congrats! You have successfully rooted and S-OFF'd your phone.

Sense 4 - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1671547&page=430

Best ROM (In my opinion): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1098849

Last edited:
Reactions: ganeshp

Whiplashh

Jun 29, 2012
Wont unlock

Hello, my friends sensation will not unlock with the Unlock_Code.Bin. everytime i do this, it says "sending 'unlocktoken' (0 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.156s]
writing 'unlocktoken'...
FAILED (remote: unlock token check failed)
finished. total time: 0.187s"

Any clue how to fix it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey Guys.
    This is the way I gained root and S-OFF. I thought I would help others by telling them my own method.

***UNLOCKED***

STEP 2 - Gaining 'S-OFF'

***UNLOCKED***

Which is great!

The way I flashed a new recovery was extremely quick and easy:

Power on your phone.
    Make sure you have drivers enabled. (Unlocking the bootloader should of made you download 'HTC SYNC' for the drivers.)
    UN-INSTALL HTC SYNC.
    Unplug your phone from the usb cable so it enables you to power off.
    You've entered FASTBOOT.
    Plug the USB Cable back into the phone.
    Do not touch anything on the phone.
    Click 4-EXT.

STEP 4 - Gaining Root

Use the All-in-One-Kit that you downloaded earlier for flashing the recovery to gain root. Read the instructions below.

Check this thread by walidhazem for a list of every ROM being developed for the Sensation: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1613295

***UNLOCKED***

Which is great!

just my 2 cents here
    Hi - after nearly having a brain meltdown after reading so many pages, I realised I could simply (after previous htcdev unlock):

- flash 4ext recovery touch v.1.0.0.5 RC9
    - get root with superSU 1.51 zip
    - setup recovery from 4ext app
    - check root achieved with app from market

Now I know I want to have to choice of many 4.2.2 or later roms - and I'm still not clear whether s-off is necessary for anything later than the stock 4.03. I understand that with s-on I need a rom that's compatible with my 3.33.401.53 firmware, but is that actually loads of them?

Many thanks for your patience - even though I'm an IT professional and have done some rooting with a HTC Desire, it gets overwhelming with so much information and different sequences of tasks or different prerequisites in some posts. Guess we're all doing our best to understand.

Thanks again, Geoff

No s-off is not necesary for anything above 4.0.3 you can flash almost every rom with s-on ( enable smartflash from recovery before flashing), and almost every rom is compatible with 3.33 firmware :) so dont worry and happy flashing :)

i think with usb 3.0 ports it won't work but i 'm not totally sure
    for installing roms you can do it also with S-ON but requires root.see here
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1631861
    about elegancia i don't know the answer but you can ask there(in my opinion it is not necessary)
    I must be retarded because this is impossible for me to accomplish

if you didn't unlock the bootloader try this guide
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1661631

or see this one
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2751187

by the way what problem are you facing?