[Q] Non-rooted Kindle HD 8.9 not found in device manager

Search This thread

ray8888888

Mar 3, 2014
Hello, I have a stock Kindle HD 8.9 from best buy that seems to have seized up. It's not rooted, I was hoping I might be able to root it to bring it back to life.

When I turn on the kindle it stops at the kindle fire logo and looks like the logo is being lit up by a light streak that scrolls across the logo. This repeats until the battery dies.

When I plug the kindle the computer via USB, the computer makes a single noise that sounds like it is trying to find the device and then Windows attempts to find drivers. Windows then errors out and says the device driver cannot be found.

If I look in the device manager I do not see any Kindle devices. If I show hidden devices I can see JEM-PVT-Prod-04 in a faint gray color with a grey question mark next to it. Through downloading and installing USB drivers found on this site I was able at one time to get this to change to Android USB device. It never changed from the faint gray color. I uninstalled the drivers and restarted since updating the drivers did not seem to address the issue. I have seen mentions in many threads about yellow triangles but I have never seen that.

I believe read on the FAQ that if there is some indication of power or booting, then the device might be able to be recovered. I'm just not seeming to have any luck with getting it to respond to the PC.

The computer is Windows 7 64bit.

I read on amazon's developer site that ADB must be enabled on the kindle before rooting. Since the kindle will not boot, I can not confirm whether it is enabled or not. I presume this is a crucial step, but I felt I should double check with others who are more knowledgeable.

Thank you for any help that may be provided.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Hello, I have a stock Kindle HD 8.9 from best buy that seems to have seized up. It's not rooted, I was hoping I might be able to root it to bring it back to life.

When I turn on the kindle it stops at the kindle fire logo and looks like the logo is being lit up by a light streak that scrolls across the logo. This repeats until the battery dies.

When I plug the kindle the computer via USB, the computer makes a single noise that sounds like it is trying to find the device and then Windows attempts to find drivers. Windows then errors out and says the device driver cannot be found.

If I look in the device manager I do not see any Kindle devices. If I show hidden devices I can see JEM-PVT-Prod-04 in a faint gray color with a grey question mark next to it. Through downloading and installing USB drivers found on this site I was able at one time to get this to change to Android USB device. It never changed from the faint gray color. I uninstalled the drivers and restarted since updating the drivers did not seem to address the issue. I have seen mentions in many threads about yellow triangles but I have never seen that.

I believe read on the FAQ that if there is some indication of power or booting, then the device might be able to be recovered. I'm just not seeming to have any luck with getting it to respond to the PC.

The computer is Windows 7 64bit.

I read on amazon's developer site that ADB must be enabled on the kindle before rooting. Since the kindle will not boot, I can not confirm whether it is enabled or not. I presume this is a crucial step, but I felt I should double check with others who are more knowledgeable.

Thank you for any help that may be provided.

Ah good you are able to install the drivers, that's good, leave those installed, in your case you are not wanting adb access you are wanting fastboot access to fix it, that adb interface that briefly appears is actually fastboot, so with the drivers installed you will need a copy of a utility that comes with fastboot, i recommend kindle fire first aid, open a command prompt and cd to the directory where the fastboot program is, and with is and with the device off and unpluggedt run
Code:
fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product
once the command prompt says "waiting for device", plug the kindle in, it should now go into fastboot mode and say fastboot on the screen. Now use kindle fire first aid to restore the kindle.

ray8888888

Mar 3, 2014
Ah good you are able to install the drivers, that's good, leave those installed, in your case you are not wanting adb access you are wanting fastboot access to fix it, that adb interface that briefly appears is actually fastboot, so with the drivers installed you will need a copy of a utility that comes with fastboot, i recommend kindle fire first aid, open a command prompt and cd to the directory where the fastboot program is, and with is and with the device off and unpluggedt run
Code:
fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product
once the command prompt says "waiting for device", plug the kindle in, it should now go into fastboot mode and say fastboot on the screen. Now use kindle fire first aid to restore the kindle.

Stunts, thank you for the help. I had thought in my reading that the fastboot command above was only used after the android device was visible in the device driver. It appears that the fastboot command "forces" the device to become visible, if I understand correctly. The device was listed in the device manger in full color rather than the faint gray that it was before.

I found the Kindle Fire First Aid and ran that, there was a helpful link in the FAQ. When I ran the First Aid, I choose the Kindle 8.9 and the first version as I do not know what version number was on the device to begin with. The First Aid ran through its procedures and the Kindle rebooted. I seem to have a working device now.

I can't remember where, but I thought I saw something In one thread about a patch that should be applied after rebuilding the Kindle but before connecting to the Internet with it.

Under About, it says I am on system version 8.1.2_user_1211420

Am I ok to continue with the device or should I be doing some cleanup/final fixing before using it normally?

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Stunts, thank you for the help. I had thought in my reading that the fastboot command above was only used after the android device was visible in the device driver. It appears that the fastboot command "forces" the device to become visible, if I understand correctly. The device was listed in the device manger in full color rather than the faint gray that it was before.

I found the Kindle Fire First Aid and ran that, there was a helpful link in the FAQ. When I ran the First Aid, I choose the Kindle 8.9 and the first version as I do not know what version number was on the device to begin with. The First Aid ran through its procedures and the Kindle rebooted. I seem to have a working device now.

I can't remember where, but I thought I saw something In one thread about a patch that should be applied after rebuilding the Kindle but before connecting to the Internet with it.

Under About, it says I am on system version 8.1.2_user_1211420

Am I ok to continue with the device or should I be doing some cleanup/final fixing before using it normally?

it should be fine to use now, that's just stock rooted, you might wanna consider disabling ota's or flashing another rom onto it but its fine how it is.