Noisy keyboard?

Search This thread

unxconformed

Apr 19, 2007
San Jose
Does anyone else have a noisy keyboard?

I just picked up my G2 and the keyboard keys sound like they have a thin plastic sheet under them or something and makes sort of crinkly plastic sounds if I touch them but don't push them down. It is a little bit annoying, makes the phone feel cheap.

I peeled off the protective plastic cover already from the keyboard so I am sure that isn't it.

kurtis.austin2

Aug 21, 2009
Mine doesn't do this. I saw what you are talking about in some video review of the phone though.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

unxconformed

Apr 19, 2007
San Jose
Hmm, I might go back and exchange the phone. It isn't a huge deal, but it is driving me nuts right now.

xile6

Dec 2, 2008
Dallas
Same problem here it kinda makes a noise but its not worst then typing on a pc with the keyboard clicking so it doesnt bother me. Also i dont use the hard keyboard much, I think i only use it like 4times since i had my g2(got it 9/30) and i type on it everything day post/sms/email/websites.
The vk is way better then the g1 probably due to screen size

unxconformed

Apr 19, 2007
San Jose
So I was just at radio shack and the other phones they had there also had crackly keyboards. Just for comparison I went to the t-mobile store nearby and their g2's keyboards sound solid and have no crackling when you touch the keys.

Also, the t-mobile store was $50 cheaper than radio shack for an off contract phone. I am gonna return the radio shack one for sure.

xile6

Dec 2, 2008
Dallas
Maybe the sound goes away the more you use it? and how much is it @ tmobile and radio shack? said done and out the door?
I paid $317.63 pre-order with upgrade. but i lucked out i got till nov 19 to paid it in full :p

unxconformed

Apr 19, 2007
San Jose
I was wondering if the sound would go away, but I am unsure. The sound really sounds like a thin plastic sheet or membrane behind the keys that maybe isn't glued down or isn't supposed to be in there. The noise has been getting slightly worse over the last day or so. The floor model at the t-mobile store sounded perfect and had a nice click to the keys when pressed with no crunchy plastic sounds when you touched it.

I can't speak for the upgrade cost difference, but the full price I paid at radio shack was $600.86 out the door ($550 + tax). At T-mobile they have the contract free version for $499 so it will likely be $550 out the door (there might be a rebate involved in that price). This was in the San Jose area in CA.

xile6

Dec 2, 2008
Dallas
then it could very well be something wrong with your phone mines jsut makes a click but from what your saying yours sounds like the off sidekicks were the keyboard would come apart and you get that nasty paper crunch sound. If so i would return it and get another one. You should still be within 30days returne so they shouldnt fuse about anything

unxconformed

Apr 19, 2007
San Jose
Just returned the radio shack one and picked up a different one from t-mobile. The new one definitely doesn't have the nasty keyboard sounds the first one had. Oh and out the door it was $546.24 so it was over $50 bucks cheaper than buying from radio shack.

The only slightly lame thing was the one I got from radio shack had a really snug and crisp hinge. The new one from t-mobile is sort of loose and floppy. Oh well...

recharged95

Oct 1, 2010
Are you sure it's not the back metal plate? I can feel the metal plate spring moving on the back when lightly pressing the keys.

I'm not a fan of the metal plate (mounts poorly!) And Z hinge as they are not an improvement over a G1 (loose and creaky too).

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 with slight loose hinge using XDA App

unxconformed

Apr 19, 2007
San Jose
Are you sure it's not the back metal plate? I can feel the metal plate spring moving on the back when lightly pressing the keys.

Yeah, I am sure it wasn't the metal back plate. You didn't even have to press the keys to hear the noise. You could just brush your fingers against the keys and you would hear all sorts of crumbly plastic sounds, sorta like the inside of the keyboard had a bunch of thin plastic sheet crumbled up inside it.

Tommebaas

Jan 2, 2010
My I and O buttons sound like there is a plastic sheet beneath it.
And my phone is the Desire Z just got it today but im returning it.
I like the phone very much but the sound is just driving me crazy!
(Sorry for my english)

KiNG OMaR

Sep 20, 2010
Chicago
Noisy keyboard? There's also a 3.5mm hole on the top!! When I bought this phone I expected a complete device. Not one with a hole in it!!! Oh the insanity :mad:

LGS1231

Dec 27, 2010
I have this problem with only my www/.com key. It does make me go a little crazy sometimes when my finger grazes it when I'm typing.

Tommebaas

Jan 2, 2010
Also, when i open my keyboard you hear a some sort of click.
I think that is the contact cable that "opens" up.
It's just weird and the phone is on it's way back now so i'm expecting a new one very soon.