[Q] Safestrap questions

Search This thread
I just purchased a new S4 this week. My last 2 phones were HTC phones which I rooted and flashed TWRP. HTC provides a method to unlock the bootloader. I only didn't go with a HTC One because of the lack of a removable battery and no SD card capability. Apparently rooting, installing recoveries and custom ROM's is a more involved process with the S4 because of locked bootloader. My understanding at this point is that I need to use the Safestrap method for recoveries and ROMs. My question is what if any is the downside of using Safestrap opposed to the normal method of flashing recoveries and ROMs? My S4 is MK2 with Android 4.3. Thanks.

pwned3

Jul 23, 2011
Cullman
Well with the way the s4 is locked down and safe strap being the only way for now to run a custom ROM... There are limitations to what you can do. No aosp roms or custom kernels. You can only run roms that use the stock kernel. After flashing a ROM you have to flash the modules for the bootloader you have.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur
I just purchased a new S4 this week. My last 2 phones were HTC phones which I rooted and flashed TWRP. HTC provides a method to unlock the bootloader. I only didn't go with a HTC One because of the lack of a removable battery and no SD card capability. Apparently rooting, installing recoveries and custom ROM's is a more involved process with the S4 because of locked bootloader. My understanding at this point is that I need to use the Safestrap method for recoveries and ROMs. My question is what if any is the downside of using Safestrap opposed to the normal method of flashing recoveries and ROMs? My S4 is MK2 with Android 4.3. Thanks.

A thread in general section that's a sticky that will help u.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Well with the way the s4 is locked down and safe strap being the only way for now to run a custom ROM... There are limitations to what you can do. No aosp roms or custom kernels. You can only run roms that use the stock kernel. After flashing a ROM you have to flash the modules for the bootloader you have.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Thank you very much. That answers my question partly. I guess I should have said do apps and system files work without issues on a safestrap rom? Is there a difference that you can tell.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

A thread in general section that's a sticky that will help u.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Thanks. I did read loads of info in the stickies. There are some great tutorials on how to root, etc. I may have missed where it mentions the difference in how a phone works with a safestrap flashed rom opposed to one flashed by other recoveries. One of the reasons I ask is that from some comments apparently people are not happy about having to use safestrap. I now get the issue with being limited to the type of rom because of locked bootloader. I wanted to know if there were other concerns.

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur
Thanks. I did read loads of info in the stickies. There are some great tutorials on how to root, etc. I may have missed where it mentions the difference in how a phone works with a safestrap flashed rom opposed to one flashed by other recoveries. One of the reasons I ask is that from some comments apparently people are not happy about having to use safestrap. I now get the issue with being limited to the type of rom because of locked bootloader. I wanted to know if there were other concerns.

the only option available for non-MDK firmware phones is safstrap and it works with compatible roms which have grown in number. I have been using it since its initial release for the S4 and have zero complaints or concerns...

the only option available for non-MDK firmware phones is safstrap and it works with compatible roms which have grown in number. I have been using it since its initial release for the S4 and have zero complaints or concerns...

Great that's what I wanted to hear. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.