Ubuntu Touch Port -> Work In Progress (Works but Read)

Search This thread

elgunvo

Dec 19, 2011
Lübeck
elbuntuprojects.com
Ubuntu Touch Port
Codename: P880

Pictures:

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3

This will become the Official Ubuntu Touch thread for the LG Optimus 4x HD and I will update on this first post all links and instructions needed to flash the system on your phone. At the moment it is not advised that you install this on your device as we have problems getting it to boot! If you do try and install it your phone will need to be put into recovery and you will need to install the CyanogenMod again,

Problems/Status

* Tablet View and not Phone
* Phone has to be started from command line
* Telephone, WIFI, Sound does not work
* Sidestage makes apps rediculously small
* Gallery crashes on load
* Close terminal, screen blank.

Files (will be updated soon)

- CM Nightly Build -> Download Daily Build Here (from today)
- Ubuntu Touch -> Download Here

To see the desktop, you must type following in a terminal:

adb root
adb shell
ubuntu_chroot shell
su phablet
ubuntu-session
export `dbus-launch`
qml-phone-shell

Then you will see the progress.

Once finished this will be updated with a link to installation instructions. If there are any devs out there please let me know if you find any solutions to the problems and your name on this forum will be added to contributors below:

Contributors

- elgunvo (Website)

Last edited:

zicoxx

Dec 26, 2010
hey thanks for your job..
i hope that someone can suggest what kind of problem there's to mount system..

i'm not a developer,but i think that probably in ramdisk maybe there's a problem,can you run adb logcat command?

elgunvo

Dec 19, 2011
Lübeck
elbuntuprojects.com
Thanks for all your responses.

I followed the Ubuntu Porting guide work for word.
I cant do adb logcat apart from in Recovery when I mount the system directory.

So thats all questions answered. I have an idea and will test it out in my Lunch Break which is to reflash the origanal system, unlock again and do the process again. I am hoping it will then work.

I will update you guys when I am done to tell you if it works or not.... Hope it does

elgunvo

Dec 19, 2011
Lübeck
elbuntuprojects.com
I have installed the origanal rom again and re-rooted
will now install custom recovery and try and install Ubuntu Touch again

My battery is low so cant activate USB debugging yet, please bear with me

Last edited:
Reactions: samaeg

elgunvo

Dec 19, 2011
Lübeck
elbuntuprojects.com
Okay, guys.

The problem lies with the custom CM that is built with the Ubuntu Porting Guide. I re-done all and it was still blank with no adb logcat/shell etc... then I uploaded just the normal CM stuff for p880 and it worked. This MUST mean I overlooked something. I will go through it again step for step soon and see what I did wrong... Maybe ill delete even the build environment and start from scratch. Thanks for your patience guys, I want this on my phone just as the next guy. I work too so this I am doing when the managers not looking :p

I will hopefully have more for you soon.

If any of you would like to donate for the time I am using to get this working just click on donate. if not I dont mind but you never know until you ask ;)

Regards

Ashley Johnson

elgunvo

Dec 19, 2011
Lübeck
elbuntuprojects.com
Update: Re-flashed CM & Ubuntu Touch.

Few issues found:

1. The phone turns itself off after LG Logo (Maybe a missing file?)
2. Ubuntu Touch installs to /data/ubuntu/filesystem.dir and should be /data/ubuntu (Built a fix for this)

I dont know whether its because I Unlocked BL & installed CWM only... maybe I also needed to flash unsecure boot? please advise?

I have also noticed that the custom mod does not install ubuntu-session, ubuntu_chroot or ubuntuappmanager

I cant access ADB on boot because the phone shuts down before its loaded and on recovery I can access shell, logcat etc but in my terminal I see:

-#:

instead of:

root@android-#:

and ubuntu_chroot says:

/bin/sh: ubuntu_chroot permission denied.

I alson cant use:

-#: su

because it cant be found... still working on these errors tho and have already fixed the ubuntu/ directory.

If any one has already got another phone ported to Ubuntu Touch... Please get in touch!

Also: If the creator of the CM10 for LG P880 is on these forums I believe we can work together to solve these issues quicker... just a thought?!?

Last edited:

JoinTheRealms

Apr 7, 2012
Update: Re-flashed CM & Ubuntu Touch.

Few issues found:

1. The phone turns itself off after LG Logo (Maybe a missing file?)
2. Ubuntu Touch installs to /data/ubuntu/filesystem.dir and should be /data/ubuntu (Built a fix for this)

I dont know whether its because I Unlocked BL & installed CWM only... maybe I also needed to flash unsecure boot? please advise?

I have also noticed that the custom mod does not install ubuntu-session, ubuntu_chroot or ubuntuappmanager

I cant access ADB on boot because the phone shuts down before its loaded and on recovery I can access shell, logcat etc but in my terminal I see:

-#:

instead of:

root@android-#:

and ubuntu_chroot says:

/bin/sh: ubuntu_chroot permission denied.

I alson cant use:

-#: su

because it cant be found... still working on these errors tho and have already fixed the ubuntu/ directory.

If any one has already got another phone ported to Ubuntu Touch... Please get in touch!

Also: If the creator of the CM10 for LG P880 is on these forums I believe we can work together to solve these issues quicker... just a thought?!?

Have you been able to flash the official cm10.1 without issue? (im not sure on what unsecure boot does but i installed it and havnt had any issue with flashing). You could try kholk from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2123602.

Wish I could be of more help, i really appreciate your work!

elgunvo

Dec 19, 2011
Lübeck
elbuntuprojects.com
Have you been able to flash the official cm10.1 without issue? (im not sure on what unsecure boot does but i installed it and havnt had any issue with flashing). You could try kholk from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2123602.

Wish I could be of more help, i really appreciate your work!

I will check him out... This is proving to be a difficult task. Official CM 10.1 works... the NIGHTLY I install once tested and I can use it, thats why I have a feeling there is a missing file or a misconfiguration that is stopping Ubuntu from working. If I hold vol+ and vol- on boot the phone stays blank but still on and when I don't it just gets stuck in a boot loop :/ maybe vol+ and vol- stops the phone from rebooting?!? but I still cant get it to boot.

elgunvo

Dec 19, 2011
Lübeck
elbuntuprojects.com
This debug info is from a folder called dontpanic which is made on startup. it may be useful, anyone who knows what its refeering to please let me know :)

[70:01:01 00:00:00.000] Initializing cgroup subsys cpu
[70:01:01 00:00:00.000] Linux version 3.1.10-CM+ (hudson@koushik-lion) (gcc version 4.6.x-google 20120106 (prerelease) (GCC) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 16 15:33:03 PDT 2013
[70:01:01 00:00:00.000] CPU: ARMv7 Processor [412fc099] revision 9 (ARMv7), cr=10c5387d
[70:01:01 00:00:00.000] CPU: VIPT nonaliasing data cache, VIPT aliasing instruction cache
[70:01:01 00:00:00.000] Machine: x3
[70:01:01 00:00:00.000] Ignoring unrecognised tag 0x41000801
[70:01:01 00:00:00.000]`Ignoring unrecognised tac 0x41000801
[7p:01:01 00:00*00.000] Ignorifg unrecognisd tag 0x41000801
[70:01:01 00: 0:00.000\ Ignoring unrecognised tag 0x41000801
[70:01:01 00:00:00.000] Found tegra_fbmem: 00708b40@ace23000
[70:01:01 00:00:00.000] Tegra reserved memory:
[70:01:01 00:00:00.000] LP0: b6005000 - b6006fff
[70:01:01 00:00:00.000] Bootloader framebuffer: ace23000 - ad52bfff
[70:01:01 00:00:00.000] Framebuffer: bee00000 - bf5fffff
[70:01:01 00:00:00.000] 2nd Framebuffer: bf600000 - bfdfffff
[70:01:01 00:00:00.000] Carveout: 00000000 - 00000000
[70:01:01 00:00:00.000] Vpr: 00000000 - 00000000
[70:01:01 00:00:00.000] Memory policy: ECC disabled,

elgunvo

Dec 19, 2011
Lübeck
elbuntuprojects.com
Thats why I believe its something to do with the porting... maybe when it downloads the required files it misses some. Or when it compiles it compiles wrong?!?... no idea... I will do more tonight. I am currently working :/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ubuntu Touch Port
    Codename: P880

Pictures:

Picture 1
    Picture 2
    Picture 3

This will become the Official Ubuntu Touch thread for the LG Optimus 4x HD and I will update on this first post all links and instructions needed to flash the system on your phone. At the moment it is not advised that you install this on your device as we have problems getting it to boot! If you do try and install it your phone will need to be put into recovery and you will need to install the CyanogenMod again,

Problems/Status

* Tablet View and not Phone
    * Phone has to be started from command line
    * Telephone, WIFI, Sound does not work
    * Sidestage makes apps rediculously small
    * Gallery crashes on load
    * Close terminal, screen blank.

Files (will be updated soon)

- CM Nightly Build -> Download Daily Build Here (from today)
    - Ubuntu Touch -> Download Here

To see the desktop, you must type following in a terminal:

adb root
    adb shell
    ubuntu_chroot shell
    su phablet
    ubuntu-session
    export `dbus-launch`
    qml-phone-shell

Then you will see the progress.

Once finished this will be updated with a link to installation instructions. If there are any devs out there please let me know if you find any solutions to the problems and your name on this forum will be added to contributors below:

Contributors

- elgunvo (Website)
    Okay, update!!!!

I have finally got the Ubuntu Touch desktop showing however at the moment its showing the tablet interface and thats a problem because all is small. Also telepony dont work so I would give me a few more days before you try it out. Just wanted to give an update.
    Okay, guys.

The problem lies with the custom CM that is built with the Ubuntu Porting Guide. I re-done all and it was still blank with no adb logcat/shell etc... then I uploaded just the normal CM stuff for p880 and it worked. This MUST mean I overlooked something. I will go through it again step for step soon and see what I did wrong... Maybe ill delete even the build environment and start from scratch. Thanks for your patience guys, I want this on my phone just as the next guy. I work too so this I am doing when the managers not looking :p

I will hopefully have more for you soon.

If any of you would like to donate for the time I am using to get this working just click on donate. if not I dont mind but you never know until you ask ;)

Regards

Ashley Johnson
    Now rebuilding... wish me luck :)
    Fixed most problems but the desktop never shows, stays blank... after I have fixed this then Ubuntu Touch will finally be a reality for p880 users!