[Q] Rezound Gone Flaky

Search This thread

Ed Zachary

Oct 7, 2008
My wife's Rezound has gotten really flaky the last couple of weeks. People will call and the phone won't ring. Some apps will work only on occasion. The system date/time will go haywire (yesterday it was reporting a year of 1992). The camera stopped saving pictures two days ago. Today, the camera app will start, with a black screen, then immediately shut down.

Phone is bone stock. Has never been rooted. What looks really odd is that every app that I looked at this morning shows zero cache. Can't see anything untoward in the list of running apps.

And something on it is eating the battery like nobody's business. She put a hi-capacity battery in it a couple of months ago and things were happy until this flakiness started. Now she has to put it on the charger a couple of times a day.

Anyone have any ideas why the phone would start acting this way?

Last edited:

acejavelin

Inactive Recognized Contributor
My wife's Rezound has gotten really flaky the last couple of weeks. People will call and the phone won't ring. Some apps will work only on occasion. The system date/time will go haywire (yesterday it was reporting a year of 1992). The camera stopped saving pictures two days ago. Today, the camera app will start, with a black screen, then immediately shut down.

Phone is bone stock. Has never been rooted. What looks really odd is that every app that I looked at this morning shows zero cache. Can't see anything untoward in the list of running apps.

And something on it is eating the battery like nobody's business. She put a hi-capacity battery in it a couple of months ago and things were happy until this flakiness started. Now she has to put it on the charger a couple of times a day.

Anyone have any ideas why the phone would start acting this way?
Did you use an HTC branded battery and back cover? There are lots of reported issues with non-HTC batteries, this could be the issues with time (battery cover is the antenna, loss of signal perhaps)

Also, when is the last time you did a factory reset? It might be time...

Ed Zachary

Oct 7, 2008
Did you use an HTC branded battery and back cover? There are lots of reported issues with non-HTC batteries, this could be the issues with time (battery cover is the antenna, loss of signal perhaps)

Also, when is the last time you did a factory reset? It might be time...

Yes, HTC-branded battery and cover.
If I could get a "third-party" assurance that a factory reset would not get rid of her data...

(As if...)

She doesn't want to lose anything. Reset blows away apps and settings, so that will likely be a no-go.

Last edited:

acejavelin

Yes, HTC-branded battery and cover.
If I could get a "third-party" assurance that a factory reset would not get rid of her data...

(As if...)

She doesn't want to lose anything. Reset blows away apps and settings, so that will likely be a no-go.
Exactly, it will wipe everything... this should be done periodically in smart phones to clear out "junk" that accumulates over time. I wrote a guide a while back on how to do this with the least amount of disruption, I'll see if I can find it again and link it.

On another note, have you tried just booting into stock recovery and clearing cache?

Ed Zachary

Oct 7, 2008
Exactly, it will wipe everything... this should be done periodically in smart phones to clear out "junk" that accumulates over time. I wrote a guide a while back on how to do this with the least amount of disruption, I'll see if I can find it again and link it.

On another note, have you tried just booting into stock recovery and clearing cache?

No. Haven't tried that. I'll give it a go before doing the wash & wax.
I have a feeling it has something to do with all the stuff on the phone. She has tons of pics of the grandson (at least two a day) that have been accumulating.
We're going to offload them (ALL?) to an external drive this evening. Maybe that and a clear cache will take care of things.

A link to your guide would be appreciated as well...

Thanks

acejavelin

I have a feeling it has something to do with all the stuff on the phone. She has tons of pics of the grandson (at least two a day) that have been accumulating.
We're going to offload them (ALL?) to an external drive this evening. Maybe that and a clear cache will take care of things.

Thanks
I can't find the guide... it is buried in my hundreds and thousands of posts across half-dozen forums somewhere.

EDIT: FOUND IT!!! Hear ya go... It's a little outdated but it's close, make sure you have your Google account password

I am going to assume you are NOT rooted...

1. (Optional) Use a utility like MyBackup Pro to backup all data (this is a safeguard, do NOT restore from this unless absolutely necessary)
2. Go into Message app and press MENU and select Back up SMS, then save all messages to a file (note the filename)
3. Plug the USB into a PC, go into Storage mode, and copy everything from both drives that appear in Windows to a spare directory.
4. Backup contacts, if you are using any "Phone" contacts, use VZW Backup, if they are all Goggle contacts you can skip this step. (Facebook and Exchange contacts are held on the server, no need to backup)
-- Note in newer Rezound ICS firmwares, the People app has the ability to Move contacts, you can Move all Phone contacts to Google, this is preferred if your software supports it
5. Take screen shots of all home screens, and the application launcher screens
6. Make sure you have all usernames, password, WiFi codes, etc., for all accounts and WiFi networks you have in the device
7. Go into Settings-Apps-All and note which apps you have disabled

Once you have everything you think you need, do a Factory Reset via the menus, then once it completes and you are back at the setup screen, power off, remove and reinstall the battery, and power up holding VOL DOWN+POWER to go into HBOOT, then perform the Factory Reset from there as well. The phone will reboot to the setup screen, go through that.

Google contacts should restore automatically, or use VZW Backup to restore contacts, then once all contacts are back you can restore the Message backup (might have to copy the backup file back to it's original location). If you want to disable apps, best to do them at this step. Setup you local WiFi and any additional accounts if you need to. Then start Play Store twice, pausing about a minute or two between, on the second start load all updates. Now go to Google and the Play Store your computer and select "My Android Apps", and click on the "Verizon HTC ADR6425LVW" icon, from that point you can see the apps you have for that device and other apps in your library, select Install for the ones you want and they will be pushed out to the phone and install. Once that is all done run each app at least once to finish it's setup (this is important, some apps will hold the WakeLock until their setup is complete, draining the battery quickly if you don't finish the setup). Now just change home screens and such as needed and tweak.

With a little practice, this entire procedure can be done in under 30 minutes, depending on your connection speed, number of apps to install, and amount of tweaking needed.

If you are doing anything "weird", like POP3 mail accounts, you might have to back those up separately if they are not stored on the server.
Note that if you have backup/restore turned on for settings to Google account, many settings and most apps will automatically restore.

Reactions: Ed Zachary

mjones73

Apr 5, 2010
North East, MD
For photos, I'd recommend turning on Google+ photo upload or taking advantage of Dropbox's photo upload feature built into their app. You can toggle it to upload over data/wifi or just wifi, it gives you the peace of mind that your pics are backed up in the event something happens to your phone.

Reactions: acejavelin

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks
    I can't find the guide... it is buried in my hundreds and thousands of posts across half-dozen forums somewhere.

EDIT: FOUND IT!!! Hear ya go... It's a little outdated but it's close, make sure you have your Google account password

I am going to assume you are NOT rooted...

1. (Optional) Use a utility like MyBackup Pro to backup all data (this is a safeguard, do NOT restore from this unless absolutely necessary)
    2. Go into Message app and press MENU and select Back up SMS, then save all messages to a file (note the filename)
    3. Plug the USB into a PC, go into Storage mode, and copy everything from both drives that appear in Windows to a spare directory.
    4. Backup contacts, if you are using any "Phone" contacts, use VZW Backup, if they are all Goggle contacts you can skip this step. (Facebook and Exchange contacts are held on the server, no need to backup)
    -- Note in newer Rezound ICS firmwares, the People app has the ability to Move contacts, you can Move all Phone contacts to Google, this is preferred if your software supports it
    5. Take screen shots of all home screens, and the application launcher screens
    6. Make sure you have all usernames, password, WiFi codes, etc., for all accounts and WiFi networks you have in the device
    7. Go into Settings-Apps-All and note which apps you have disabled

Once you have everything you think you need, do a Factory Reset via the menus, then once it completes and you are back at the setup screen, power off, remove and reinstall the battery, and power up holding VOL DOWN+POWER to go into HBOOT, then perform the Factory Reset from there as well. The phone will reboot to the setup screen, go through that.

Google contacts should restore automatically, or use VZW Backup to restore contacts, then once all contacts are back you can restore the Message backup (might have to copy the backup file back to it's original location). If you want to disable apps, best to do them at this step. Setup you local WiFi and any additional accounts if you need to. Then start Play Store twice, pausing about a minute or two between, on the second start load all updates. Now go to Google and the Play Store your computer and select "My Android Apps", and click on the "Verizon HTC ADR6425LVW" icon, from that point you can see the apps you have for that device and other apps in your library, select Install for the ones you want and they will be pushed out to the phone and install. Once that is all done run each app at least once to finish it's setup (this is important, some apps will hold the WakeLock until their setup is complete, draining the battery quickly if you don't finish the setup). Now just change home screens and such as needed and tweak.

With a little practice, this entire procedure can be done in under 30 minutes, depending on your connection speed, number of apps to install, and amount of tweaking needed.

If you are doing anything "weird", like POP3 mail accounts, you might have to back those up separately if they are not stored on the server.
    Note that if you have backup/restore turned on for settings to Google account, many settings and most apps will automatically restore.
    For photos, I'd recommend turning on Google+ photo upload or taking advantage of Dropbox's photo upload feature built into their app. You can toggle it to upload over data/wifi or just wifi, it gives you the peace of mind that your pics are backed up in the event something happens to your phone.