[Q] Screen doesn't turn on

Search This thread

m3gz

Dec 31, 2010
I am having some screen issues with my doubleshot. Basically my screen would not turn on but I know everything still works. I am able to listen to music, pick up calls, unlock the phone, etc.

It seems to happen randomly. Pressing the middle button or the power button only makes the buttons glow but doesn't turn on the screen.

Pulling out the battery and forcing the phone to restart solves the problem. Is there a solution or a more graceful way of getting the screen to come back on?

Edit:
Forgot to mention that it happens to my on JellyBean DS and KitKat DS by Emmanuel U.
Was using CM 9.1 by scverhagen and the issue doesn't happen as often. Once a week where has the JB and KK happens atleast once a day.

Last edited:

daswerk

May 18, 2011
El Paso, TX
I have the same problem too. For awhile thought it was to an app I moved to sd card (walgreens). Wasn't as often moving app off sd card.

Sent from my MyTouch 4G Slide using Tapatalk

dilinger1111

Dec 23, 2013
I am having some screen issues with my doubleshot. Basically my screen would not turn on but I know everything still works. I am able to listen to music, pick up calls, unlock the phone, etc.

It seems to happen randomly. Pressing the middle button or the power button only makes the buttons glow but doesn't turn on the screen.

Pulling out the battery and forcing the phone to restart solves the problem. Is there a solution or a more graceful way of getting the screen to come back on?

Edit:
Forgot to mention that it happens to my on JellyBean DS and KitKat DS by Emmanuel U.
Was using CM 9.1 by scverhagen and the issue doesn't happen as often. Once a week where has the JB and KK happens atleast once a day.

I've seen this happen as well with various roms as well (including 9.1). I currently am using tbalden's 10.1, and haven't seen it in forever. I don't know if he fixed it, or I've just been lucky.

m3gz

Dec 31, 2010
I have a feeling that it might be the minimum frequency processor settings. The default settings that Emmanuel set seem pretty aggressive.

I am going to:
  • increase my minimum frequency to 540MHz (and incrementally lower it until it becomes unstable)
  • keep my maximum frequency at 1512 MHz
  • set CPU governor to ONDEMAND

Battery shouldn't be too much of a problem for me since I upgraded to 3500 mAh.

daswerk, have you tried playing around with your processor settings?

Reactions: OfficerJimLahey

Ziida

Jul 18, 2011
I have a feeling that it might be the minimum frequency processor settings. The default settings that Emmanuel set seem pretty aggressive.

I am going to:
  • increase my minimum frequency to 540MHz (and incrementally lower it until it becomes unstable)

540 minimum sounds a bit high to me unless your phone wasn't stable on stock ROM either. Maybe try 192? You could also try lowering your max to the stock 1.2ghz

daswerk

May 18, 2011
El Paso, TX
I keep mine at 1512 too. Low at 192, going to try 384 for a bit. I have not had the problem for awhile though.

Sent from my MyTouch 4G Slide using Tapatalk

m3gz

Dec 31, 2010
540 minimum sounds a bit high to me unless your phone wasn't stable on stock ROM either. Maybe try 192? You could also try lowering your max to the stock 1.2ghz

Thanks for the advice.
I remember having my max frequency at 1512 MHz before so I thought that wasn't a problem.
So far 540 MHz minimum has kept my phone from going blank. I'll try 192 Mhz next

m3gz

Dec 31, 2010
I've tried to set 192 Mhz as a minimum rate - and got black screen anyway.

192 MHz worked for me. You can try doing something extreme like what I did to see if it's the minimum frequency. It may decrease battery a bit but it's better than having the annoying black screen. I tried 540MHz as a test frequency.

Not all processors are the equal. So what may work for some may not work for others.

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
Same problem here. Black screen on Doubleshot with CM 10.1. Made me really concerned when it happened, as I was was reading the hardware maintenance thread earlier today (for fun) so I thought the LCD went.

This is the first time this has happened in the three weeks I had this phone, and I've been on 10.1 for almost a week now.

Because battery life[1] is an issue for me as well, I edged things up only slightly (from 96 MHz to 128), hopefully that will do to the trick. If not, I will try 192 MHz.

[1] Speaking of which, any tricks on keeping battery usage low? I use Deep Sleep Battery Saver which helps out a lot. And I'm selective about my apps (removed Songza because it was hanging around while closed, eating up battery life). GPS stays off, although I keep Wi-Fi and 3G on. It looks like the screen becomes the biggest draw at this point. Any advice would be appreciated.

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
Since the problem in March, I have upped the minimum frequency to 192mHz. For the longest while I haven't had any issues.

But since I installed my new Anker battery (was on a half-in-the-bag EZO Power 1900mAh), the problem came back, happened twice now, a week apart.

I'm trialing KitKatDS right now, but will probably go back in a week or less due to wakelock (Android OS) issues. Judging by above, when I do I will bump up the minimum even higher. Hard to see the correlation with how the battery will be causing it, but I see no other change.

m3gz

Dec 31, 2010
Upping the lower end frequency seemed to work for a bit but i'm still getting the screen issues. I'm using a 3500mAh battery from China but I'm just doubting that the battery affects the screen.

The correlation of frequency to screen issues could also be coincidental.

Reactions: OfficerJimLahey

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I am going to:

I am going to:

Upping the lower end frequency seemed to work for a bit but i'm still getting the screen issues. I'm using a 3500mAh battery from China but I'm just doubting that the battery affects the screen.

The correlation of frequency to screen issues could also be coincidental.