Best Keyboard for ics?

Search This thread

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
Been using swiftkey for over a year and I love it but its laggy in ics. This isn't just a vivid thing either a Google search revealed nexus owners are having lag with it too. It ran fine on my captivate and fine on the vivid before the ics update. Tried several popular android keyboards and most have lag. Any suggestions?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using XDA

slimslim

Oct 14, 2009
I use swiftkey once in a while, the paid ver doesn't seem to lag for me, but I just don't like the small letters/fonts on the keys, especially on our qhd screens are even smallaer, there's no opinion to increase them from settings. I now, use the Thumb keyboard, very flexible and many themes.

Sent from my HTC Vivid via Tapatalk

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
I have thumb courtesy of foatd from Amazon. Tried it, still kinda slow for my tastes. Found a port of the its keyboard on the market and its very fast. Bought the paid version of it and its noticeably slower so I refunded and went back to the free one

austin4913

Mar 30, 2012
College Station, TX
I have tried to use 3 different keyboards since upgrading to Dark Raider ROM with kernel by Kozmik...it will download and says installed but it won't come up..I have selected the keyboard in settings but when I bring up email, texts, etc...the standard keyboard comes up..I long pressed in a text area and it does nothing...I have used keyboards before flashing ROMS but this is the first time I have attempted it since flashing several different ROMS...probably something simple I am missing...thanks in advance if anyone has and guidance..

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium

Larz_Plummer

Aug 11, 2010
Boise, ID
I have tried to use 3 different keyboards since upgrading to Dark Raider ROM with kernel by Kozmik...it will download and says installed but it won't come up..I have selected the keyboard in settings but when I bring up email, texts, etc...the standard keyboard comes up..I long pressed in a text area and it does nothing...I have used keyboards before flashing ROMS but this is the first time I have attempted it since flashing several different ROMS...probably something simple I am missing...thanks in advance if anyone has and guidance..

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium

In ICS, pressing and holding the input area is not how you change keyboards. That is done using a notification setting that appears wherever you enter a text input field.

Sent from my ICS HTC Vivid using Tapatalk 2

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
I tried thumb keyboard for a whole day eventually just switched back to the ics keyboard I found in the market. Simply just too slow for my tastes. I have to say there has to be something different about the ics framework because all keyboards that were fast with gingerbread are slow on ics. I think right now the problem with ics is just not enough phones have it for developers to care

lamebmx

Mar 12, 2011
Stow
I stumbled across this looking for a keyboard with arrow keys. so far hacker's keyboard (for free in google play) is working good for me. quick, a bit smaller keys but it has arrows, control alt etc. supposed to work well with connectbot for ppl used to ssh etc.

Brand New

Dec 22, 2011
I stumbled across this looking for a keyboard with arrow keys. so far hacker's keyboard (for free in google play) is working good for me. quick, a bit smaller keys but it has arrows, control alt etc. supposed to work well with connectbot for ppl used to ssh etc.

You can change your keyboard size in settings.

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
The stock HTC one is very nice and fast but they left out one thing: auto space after prediction selection! Only android keyboard I've ever seen that doesnt auto space

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Oh wow.
    It looks like your carrier disabled the option. I'm running stock ATT and it looks like the attached picture. Also, AOSP 4.0.3 has it located there as well. (I was running it on my Inspire before upgrading to the Vivid)

Sent from my ICS HTC Vivid using Tapatalk 2
    You guys all should know ... the stock HTC keyboard "Touch Input" is already among one of the best keyboards in the world. If you really like "swiping", the HTC keyboard can do that too. Just turn on the Trace Keyboard function and you can start swiping just like Swype. When turned on, you can still use the HTC keyboard normally by tapping, or swipe across letters and let it predict your words. Amazingly good, fast, and accurate.

When you run a Sense ROM, you really shouldn't need any other 3rd party keyboards. Touch Input is a very nicely built IME (with or without arrows).
    You guys all should know ... the stock HTC keyboard "Touch Input" is already among one of the best keyboards in the world. If you really like "swiping", the HTC keyboard can do that too. Just turn on the Trace Keyboard function and you can start swiping just like Swype. When turned on, you can still use the HTC keyboard normally by tapping, or swipe across letters and let it predict your words. Amazingly good, fast, and accurate.

When you run a Sense ROM, you really shouldn't need any other 3rd party keyboards. Touch Input is a very nicely built IME (with or without arrows).

My main issue with touch input is it won't auto insert a space after a predict, and every other keyboard I've tried does so I can't get used to it based on that.

Sent from my HTC_Flyer_P512_NA using XDA