ATT Forcing HSPA+/4G Data ???

Search This thread
http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...ls.jsp?q_package=sku5100371&_requestid=618639

DataPro 2GB for HSPA+/4G Smartphone includes 2GB. Once 2GB is exceeded, an additional 1GB is automatically provided at a rate of $10 for each additional 1GB provided. Unused data usage does not carry over. For HSPA+/4G SmartPhones ONLY.

ATT is selling this type of data plan with the new ATRIX, what kind of impact could this have on us UNLIMITED 'Grandfathered' users that were thinking about buying the phone outright?

if i put my 3G card in, am i gonna get hosed? is ATT going to automatically try and switch my data plan to the 'required' plan for the 4G phone? even though i bought it outright? am i possibly going to have to fight to get the 'GFD' plan back after?

i know its all speculation at this point because the actual phone isnt out yet, but my gut tells me we might not like the answer...

Last edited:

naturefreak85

Jun 18, 2007
Boca Raton
I was wondering about the same thing, but I don't think we have to worry right now, I intend to get it then use it and in a month check, should they mess with me, I'll pull the information straight from their website with a datestamp that I printed stating that Grandfathered in gets to keep their plan. It really would be as simple as letting me keep it or I'll take my company off AT&T.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...ls.jsp?q_package=sku5100371&_requestid=618639

DataPro 2GB for HSPA+/4G Smartphone includes 2GB. Once 2GB is exceeded, an additional 1GB is automatically provided at a rate of $10 for each additional 1GB provided. Unused data usage does not carry over. For HSPA+/4G SmartPhones ONLY.

ATT is selling this type of data plan with the new ATRIX, what kind of impact could this have on us UNLIMITED 'Grandfathered' users that were thinking about buying the phone outright?

if i put my 3G card in, am i gonna get hosed? is ATT going to automatically try and switch my data plan to the 'required' plan for the 4G phone? even though i bought it outright? am i possibly going to have to fight to get the 'GFD' plan back after?

i know its all speculation at this point because the actual phone isnt out yet, but my gut tells me we might not like the answer...

ecapox

Jun 22, 2010
rAtlanta
I was wondering about the same thing, but I don't think we have to worry right now, I intend to get it then use it and in a month check, should they mess with me, I'll pull the information straight from their website with a datestamp that I printed stating that Grandfathered in gets to keep their plan. It really would be as simple as letting me keep it or I'll take my company off AT&T.

I was able to "upgrade" to the Atrix and i checked the option that said "I do not want to make changes to my data plan" since i am grandfathered in as truly "unlimited".

I dont expect to see any changes once i put my SIM card in. They relaxed their "grandfather" clause a little recently and im guessing what i experienced is exactly that. before they FORCED you to change your plan. Now you have an option.

ApplCobbler

Oct 20, 2010
For people with unlimited plans, you can still keep it, it becomes an option on the data plan picker that only someone with an unlimited plan can see. And yes it is 4g ready. And no it doesn't cost any more money.

/thread

smitty1

Oct 11, 2007
It is not a problem at all.

All you have to do is swap the sim. cards and you are good to go. Your plan does not change at all and AT$T isn't going to penalize you.

They are losing 16% of their customers do to the iphone switch.

seanfinn

Jan 2, 2011
Augusta
Yeah it won't be a problem switching from 3g to 4g unlimited ...I recently purchased the inspire all they did was change the code for the plan in the system for me,vi popped my sim card in and have hspa+ unlimited

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

andydumi

Feb 7, 2011
Nashville
I have a tangential question.

I know going over 2GB adds 1GB for $10 on Data Pro. But what if you exceed the 150mb on the Data lite? Does it auto bump you to 2GB and Data Pro for the month?

rodimus_prime

Apr 18, 2010
If you have the unlimited data theres a new HSPA+ version of the unlimited plan that your moved to

in regards to the $15 plan its actually 200mB, not 150, if you go over your charged another 15 for another 200, if you go over that your billed another 15 for 200 more and so forth

Lastly if your buying a device like the Atrix your a moron to think 200MB for an entire month is going to cut it, in my opinion that plan shouldnt even be offered

andydumi

Feb 7, 2011
Nashville
Hehe, so they charge you another $15 for 200MB but on the other plan its $10 for 1GB? Terrible.

I agree with you a 200MB plan likely wont get you anywhere unless you are covered by wi-fi everywhere you go and otherwise don't use data almost at all.

Also, how does tehthering work if you have a grandfathered unlimited plan? And could you not just root and use thethering without having the tetherming plan? Say if you were on the 2GB plan.

rodimus_prime

Apr 18, 2010
Ive never quite understood the covered everywhere by wifi don't have wifi driving or everywhere that you travel, unless you never leave the house

If you want tethering, officially through ATT you have to get the 45 dollar 4gb plan, and lose the unlimited

An app like PDAnet would be a solution for tethering to keep the unlim plan and you dont even need to be rooted to run it

hotleadsingerguy

Jan 12, 2010
It is not a problem at all.

All you have to do is swap the sim. cards and you are good to go. Your plan does not change at all and AT$T isn't going to penalize you.

They are losing 16% of their customers do to the iphone switch.

lol you're absolutely insane if you believe that to be true. Every business analyst website worth its money on the internet is saying Verizon didn't make much of an impact with the release of the iPhone4. They sold a lot of iPhones...but an estimated 90% of them were to people that were already Verizon subscribers. The 1 million iPhones that they keep quoting was *ONLY* to pre-orders made by Verizon customers.

Also, it has absolutely nothing to do with this topic. AT&T already said before the phone was announced they would move grandfathered unlimited plans ahead with new contracts (same thing happened with their last launch).

biggins1870

Jan 3, 2011
Orlando, FL
I'm glad to hear that AT&T is allowing us to keep our grandfathered unlimited plans. I've been planning on moving up to Android with the Atrix but was dreading losing my unlimited data plan that I've got on my current iPhone 3G.

If everything works out like everyone here is saying then it looks like I'll get to have my cake and eat it too.

weirdboy09

Aug 25, 2010
I plan on switching to this phone from my

Data Pro 2gb 3g - $25

And I am wondering if any fees will be applied if I swapped my sim into the Atrix.
Also I am switching my Captivate with someone that is upgrading and wonder if their 4g data be switched out with a 3g data plan because of the 3g Captivate

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

Athailias

Aug 21, 2010
McKinney
I plan on switching to this phone from my

Data Pro 2gb 3g - $25

And I am wondering if any fees will be applied if I swapped my sim into the Atrix.
Also I am switching my Captivate with someone that is upgrading and wonder if their 4g data be switched out with a 3g data plan because of the 3g Captivate

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

I asked ATT about a "4g plan", and to their knowledge it does not exist. There is a 25/month (or 15/mo if you are on the 200 mb) data plan. period. It doesnt matter if you are 3g or 4g or justin beiber 6g. Its all the same price and the same plan... for now.

magnumrt562

Aug 20, 2010
FALSE. I got my wife the inspire 4g, and yes, the rep changed her from unlimited data(captivate) to unlimited 4G data(inspire, atrix etc.). So yes, you do have to make a switch to "4G." Try taking your sim card straight from your captivate, or any other 3g phone and put it in the atrix, you can make calls and text, but no data connection.

Last edited:

ecapox

Jun 22, 2010
rAtlanta
FALSE. I got my wife the inspire 4g, and yes, the rep changed her from unlimited data(captivate) to unlimited 4G data(inspire, atrix etc.). So yes, you do have to make a switch to "4G." Try taking your sim card straight from your captivate, or any other 3g phone and put it in the atrix, you can make calls and text, but no data connection.

Did you get the Inspire 4G before AT&T relaxed their "Unlimited Grandfather in clause"? If o, that may have been your problem. Recently (2 months or so) they have said that if you have real unlimited plan and upgrade, you can keep your plan. You dont have to change. This is different to what they were saying when the iPHone 4 came out. Get iPhone 4 and you NEED to change your plan.

Also in regards to just putting in your SIM card into an Atrix, Do you have one? Did you try this? Or are you basing this on your Inspire experience?

Feb 21, 2011
No dice on keeping "unlimited" plan!

My current ATT Blackberry Data plan is "unlimited" and shows up like this on the Premiere site:

GPRS WAP/BBRY UNLTD DOM - BBUB

I called to confirm that I would be able to keep my n=unlimited plan and they told me that it would be changed to the 2gb-$25 4G plan immediately upon power up of the Atrix... AND that I could not go back to the unlimited plan even if I return the Atrix within 30 days!

Is the above one of the "grandfathered" plans? And if so, how is everyone else here managing to keep their plan?