Transformer Prime touch screen sensitivity issues

Search This thread

transceiver

Apr 1, 2011
Does anyone else have touch screen sensitivity issues with the Prime? I'm using a capacitive stylus with it and it seems to be not registering half of the touch inputs. I know that the Samsung galaxy tab had a similar issue and there was a fix for it (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1336464) . Maybe if we can get a fix for the Prime it would actually be useful for writing and drawing.

Here's the writing samples (first is from the original Transformer, using the same stylus).

http://imgur.com/a/olhMe

The "touch counter" shows how many touch events was registered by the app. The Prime saw less than 2/3 of the points.

On the last screenshot you can see how wavy and distorted the diagonal lines get.

Spidey01

Sep 16, 2011
Duluth
When I first setup mine, it seemed to be a lot less sensitive than my TF101's screen but mine has been finebsincenthe ICS 4.0.3 update.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

BongoBong

Apr 10, 2011
I have noticed the same thing. Handwriting is hard to do unless its huge, and been getting some wavy lines as well.

Spidey01

Sep 16, 2011
Duluth
Finger touch, it was bad eniugh before the update that I was really concerned about general use. After posting, I also tried my Adonit Jot in Sketchbook Pro and had no problem.

transceiver

Apr 1, 2011
Finger touch, it was bad eniugh before the update that I was really concerned about general use. After posting, I also tried my Adonit Jot in Sketchbook Pro and had no problem.

Hm, I updated to 4.03 but the problem is still there. I've tried it in the Supernotes app that came pre-loaded too. Seems that it isn't as serious as on the Samsung but I'm still unhappy that it's not as good as the TF1. I can deal with the bluetooth / GPS issues but this is one I can't live without :(

The numbers are from the debug mode of my app.

I'll wait till I can test it on some store models before I buy again.

indyrev

Jan 16, 2012
Touch sensitivity

Hey I'd just like to come out and say I've noticed the same sensitivity issues on my Prime. It sucks. I bought this thing for school, so naturally I'd like to be able to take notes on it, but alas I cannot. :(

ownzordage

Jan 20, 2011
Hey I'd just like to come out and say I've noticed the same sensitivity issues on my Prime. It sucks. I bought this thing for school, so naturally I'd like to be able to take notes on it, but alas I cannot. :(

I'm in the same boat. I'm considering returning and getting a Thinkpad Tablet. Has anyone had luck with a Jot Pro and taking quick notes on the Transformer Prime? I want to make sure this isn't just an isolated issue with a few devices.

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 AM ----------

Transceiver, can you run your test on the Prime at different power levels to see if you get the same results?

I receive the same issue at each power level. Certain letters like "e" are especially difficult to write, and most of the time words don't appear at all if I'm writing at my normal pace.

Spidey01

Sep 16, 2011
Duluth
I have no problems, including sketchbook pro and my jot, on ICS. I'm pretty sure it is isolated. Probably the bloody FFC ribbon cables inside or issues with the screen.

BongoBong

Apr 10, 2011
I have no problems, including sketchbook pro and my jot, on ICS. I'm pretty sure it is isolated. Probably the bloody FFC ribbon cables inside or issues with the screen.

"no problems" is fairly relative in this case. Everything works for us, its just how well does it work.

From what I can tell there is 3 problems.

First is the minimum distance travelled before a writing touch event is registered seems much to large. Presumably this is a software thing since speed you try to write doesn't effect this.

Second is that straight lines are wavy, mostly on diagonal lines.

Third is that the prime may not be registering as many points per second as others. To test this I have been using the writepad app in debug mode. I time 10 seconds and scribble at a constant speed (and tried different speeds). for 10 seconds I am getting ~800 touches no matter the speed i scribble, so the prime seems to be able to register 80 touches/second. If we could compare this to other devices that would be interesting to see.

ownzordage

Jan 20, 2011
I just went to Best Buy and tested a bunch of other tablets. The original Transformer was much much better than the Prime. It recorded almost everything I wanted to write, regardless of the speed. There is definitely an issue, and I believe its a software issue.

BongoBong

Apr 10, 2011
I just went to Best Buy and tested a bunch of other tablets. The original Transformer was much much better than the Prime. It recorded almost everything I wanted to write, regardless of the speed. There is definitely an issue, and I believe its a software issue.

Hopefully that does mean the prime can be made better. Because it is definitely quite poor right now.

aahz123

Aug 17, 2010
Toronto
Happy to hear that. I have been using touchscreen tune on a tab 10.1 and it made a world of difference. And the recently added palm rejection works nicely as well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CELEBRATE EVERYONE!! I've been working with the developer of TouchScreenTune to port his app to the Transformer Prime. I've just tested it and it works wonderfully! The Prime version is not on the market yet, but it should be out very soon.

TouchScreenTune at Android Market
    TouchScreen is not the cure.

TouchScreenTune is not fixing what is the real problem - drawing diagonal lines. Sensitivity is improved, but that's it. Prime is simply broken. I am very very disappointed with Asus for tricking me like that. Hope for yet another software update to make freehand sketching/ notes taking possible. Because right now it is not.

Once again, draw four lines: two across the screen, two diagonal. You will see.
    "no problems" is fairly relative in this case. Everything works for us, its just how well does it work.

From what I can tell there is 3 problems.

First is the minimum distance travelled before a writing touch event is registered seems much to large. Presumably this is a software thing since speed you try to write doesn't effect this.

Second is that straight lines are wavy, mostly on diagonal lines.

Third is that the prime may not be registering as many points per second as others. To test this I have been using the writepad app in debug mode. I time 10 seconds and scribble at a constant speed (and tried different speeds). for 10 seconds I am getting ~800 touches no matter the speed i scribble, so the prime seems to be able to register 80 touches/second. If we could compare this to other devices that would be interesting to see.

I can confirm these problems precisely. I'm glad it's not just me. Well, it sucks to hear that people have this problem, but im glad that I just didn't get a broken one. How can we all just band together and report these issues to Asus? Surely there is a way. So far, I'm impressed by this tablet. However this problem is a serious let down.

Should not have to depend on third party apps to tune the device.
    Concerning the diagonal lines issue, check this out:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1516716