[Q] Unlocking the Bootloader

Search This thread

King Cole

Jun 26, 2012
Boston, MA
So, a lot of people are posting that unlocking will cause tons of issues, among which are X-Reality not working, X-Reality not working only in Album, DRM Keys being lost (only true one that I know of), and (most serious one I've heard of) the Camera no longer working.

What's the deal? I unlocked my bootloader, and things seem to be fine. Anyone who has unlocked their bootloaders, are things fine for you?

prazvt

Aug 9, 2011
SF Bay Area
So, a lot of people are posting that unlocking will cause tons of issues, among which are X-Reality not working, X-Reality not working only in Album, DRM Keys being lost (only true one that I know of), and (most serious one I've heard of) the Camera no longer working.

What's the deal? I unlocked my bootloader, and things seem to be fine. Anyone who has unlocked their bootloaders, are things fine for you?

I think the consensus in other threads is that everything seems to be working (outside of DRM keys), which is good news. My Z2 is being delivered today; so I'll update as well once I unlock mine.

robt772000

Mar 21, 2010
Please keep us informed. I'm not really interested in DRM keys but x-reality is cool. I would hate too lose that.

ksekhar

Aug 14, 2008
Stockholm
Please keep us informed. I'm not really interested in DRM keys but x-reality is cool. I would hate too lose that.

As far as I can see, X Realty is not lost after unlock. I actually can see some difference with enabling and disabling X Realty. Again, it could be placebo but I don't think so :)

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: robt772000

Jackos

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 26, 2008
Warsaw
leidel.pl
OnePlus Open
How so? I would like to root but the warranty status is the only thing stopping me.

From developer.sonymobile.com:
Please note that you may void the warranty of your device and/or any warranty from your operator if you unlock the boot loader. See your device's warranty statement for details. Additionally, due to the modified device software, Sony’s repair network will likely have to replace key components before it can properly test, repair and verify your device using our repair tools and software. Consequently, if Sony performs a warranty repair, Sony will likely charge you a significant service fee for the additional costs caused by your modification of the software.

So basically it depends on the repair center. And if you relock the bootloader (without) restoring the TA partition this also may look like you never unlocked the device... Unless someone is going to check for the DRM keys. That's why I wrote "may or may not".

It's highly unlikely someone will release an root exploit for 4.4.2, so if you want root just unlock the bootloader. I did - no regrets.

robt772000

Mar 21, 2010
X-reality is gone I think. I opened album and looked at a photo with it off and on. Nothing.

prazvt

Aug 9, 2011
SF Bay Area
If you're so inclined, I hear you can easily reflash stock and lock the bootloader to get it back. You can go see if you get it back when you do.

TBH, root was a bigger deal for me, lol.

EDIT:

So, I flashed the stock firmware ftf with flashtool and the bootloader is still unlocked.

From what I can tell, X-Reality is working...

1. Video:

Screenshot_2014-05-14-00-21-10.jpg

Screenshot_2014-05-14-00-21-32.jpg

2. Photo:

Screenshot_2014-05-14-00-43-16.jpg
Screenshot_2014-05-14-00-43-48.jpg

I'm haven't rooted the phone again yet, but presumably if these things are working now, they would be working after root right?

Last edited:

prazvt

Aug 9, 2011
SF Bay Area
I haven't seen any options specifying bionz so someone with a locked bootloader would have to chime in

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

TheTrooper

Nov 5, 2008
Warsaw
I will have my Z2 tomorrow so I will check, but on Z1 on 4.4.2 unlocking bootloader didn't wipe DRM keys. A lot of people still sustain legends that unlocking bootloader will always wipe DRM keys forever...
a7ujuzyp.jpg

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

As far as I can see, X Realty is not lost after unlock. I actually can see some difference with enabling and disabling X Realty. Again, it could be placebo but I don't think so :)

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app