[Radios][mod][VZW] ALL the Verizon Galaxy Nexus Radios 3/5/2013

Search This thread

Damacles

Jul 2, 2010
I do have a question. My phone never shows the right signal it always seems two bars off or so. It's rather annoying to look and see no bars but yet I can still go online and make calls without issue.

What can I do to fix this?

mark manning

Sr. Mod / Mod Committee
Staff member
Apr 7, 2010
Nusquam et ubique
I do have a question. My phone never shows the right signal it always seems two bars off or so. It's rather annoying to look and see no bars but yet I can still go online and make calls without issue.

What can I do to fix this?

That sounds like it may be rom related. What rom are you using? Have you been on that one the whole time that this issue has persisted?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Last edited:

MrCapcom

May 14, 2009
Anyone having issues with the phone not staying on 4G unless you manually toggle it? My phone has full bars but 4G won't stay. I switched roms flash different radios and the same thing. Any ideas on how to fix this

Damacles

Jul 2, 2010
It's been like that since I have had the phone, they even sent me a 2nd one because of the issue but it had the same problem so I sent it back. I have put liquid smooth JB on since then and the issue persist.

Wasn't this the same issue the phone had when it came out? I though Verizon and Samsung were have suppose to fix this.

I am using the latest JB radio.

mark manning

Sr. Mod / Mod Committee
Staff member
Apr 7, 2010
Nusquam et ubique
It's been like that since I have had the phone, they even sent me a 2nd one because of the issue but it had the same problem so I sent it back. I have put liquid smooth JB on since then and the issue persist.

Wasn't this the same issue the phone had when it came out? I though Verizon and Samsung were have suppose to fix this.

I am using the latest JB radio.

Not quite, what Google "fixed" was the rom showing the accurate signal and everybody freaked out think they had low lte signal. They really didn't. In 4.0.4 Google changed the way bars show so ppl would stop freaking out. However, I don't remember anyone saying they had issues quite like yours. That's really weird. I'm assuming you have flashed the other radios to the same effect? Also have you tried anything besides the liquid rom? Maybe a good wipe and some CM10?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Lw00d

May 18, 2009
LA Baby!!!
i didnt see this ask, but how do i
2. Its is VERY important that you check and match the md5 sum before flashing.
how do i find MD5 on my phone?

Sleerts

Nov 27, 2007
Anyone confirm these radio match the official ones that are dropping today via the official release? I want to stay with CM10 but have the updated radios.

Thanks.

Reactions: Eschmacher

Eschmacher

Sep 22, 2010
Sterling
Anyone confirm these radio match the official ones that are dropping today via the official release? I want to stay with CM10 but have the updated radios.

Thanks.

This. Anyone checked to see if the radios in the official release are the same as the leaked ones? The leaked ones have been causing more trouble than the 4.0.4 ones did.

vicw

Apr 3, 2011
i didnt see this ask, but how do i
how do i find MD5 on my phone?

The Root Explorer app will also calculate & display the MD5 value. Just long press on the filename & select Properties. It may take a few seconds to calculate.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jss2

Feb 12, 2012
Greater Boston Area
This. Anyone checked to see if the radios in the official release are the same as the leaked ones? The leaked ones have been causing more trouble than the 4.0.4 ones did.

I checked the CDMA radio, and the bootloader. The update didn't have a complete LTE radio file, just an update file to patch the previous LTE radio.

The CDMA radio is identical to the one that was leaked a little while ago. The bootloader is identical to the leaked version (which is also identical to the official bootloader for maguro).

Eschmacher

Sep 22, 2010
Sterling
I checked the CDMA radio, and the bootloader. The update didn't have a complete LTE radio file, just an update file to patch the previous LTE radio.

The CDMA radio is identical to the one that was leaked a little while ago. The bootloader is identical to the leaked version (which is also identical to the official bootloader for maguro).

Nice, hopefully someone can find a way to get that LTE patch to us without having to flash the stock rom. LTE is the only thing I'm having trouble with.

jss2

Feb 12, 2012
Greater Boston Area
Nice, hopefully someone can find a way to get that LTE patch to us without having to flash the stock rom. LTE is the only thing I'm having trouble with.

Although I haven't yet confirmed it, I would be surprised if the LTE radio in the official update is any different from the LTE radio that was leaked a few weeks back. Are you already using those leaked radios?

Eschmacher

Sep 22, 2010
Sterling
Although I haven't yet confirmed it, I would be surprised if the LTE radio in the official update is any different from the LTE radio that was leaked a few weeks back. Are you already using those leaked radios?

Yeah, about once a day or every other day my data freezes up and I have to cycle airplane mode or reboot.

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
Here you go. The attached CWM-flashable file patches the IMM76K LTE radio to the new version, and flashes the new CDMA radio.

Notes:
1) I haven't tested this out as I don't have a toro device... :)
2) This will only work if you have the IMM76K LTE radio flashed.

Attachments

• mysid-JRO03O-from-IMM76K.RadiosOnly.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 136

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    VERIZON GALAXY NEXUS RADIOS

Hey guys!!

Im am not sure why no one else has not done this yet but I felt it was about time we had our own dedicated radio thread. Some of you may wonder what a radio is and others may have misconceptions as to what radios do. So let me try to make this clear and simple for all of you. So in a nutshell a radio driver is what allows your phone to communicate with the cell tower, similar to how a printer driver lets the computer and printer communicate with each other. Keep in mind it's a lot more in depth than that but you should now have a basic idea as to what they do.

I would also like to take the time to clear up some common misconceptions as to what radios do and don't do. Now most of this is fact, it is not just an opinion so if you have an open mind you can learn something. However, if you try to argue with me you better come up with a valid argument explaining why you believe what you believe. Different radio firmwares will more than likely NOT give you a stronger signal. Before a phone is released it is excessively tested before being released to the public. During this time the carrier/s test how much power the radio antenna can safely transmit. The way they measure this is through the SAR (Specific absorption rate (SAR) is a measure of the rate at which energy is absorbed by the body when exposed to a radio frequency (RF) electromagnetic field) value and then it is submitted to the FCC. Verizon's fillings are listed as below, in order for these to be raised above this the phone would have to be resubmitted to the FCC.

SAR: Head: .63 W/kg ; Body .88 W/kg , Product Specific Use: 1.01 W/kg, Simultaneous Transmission: 1.39 W/kg - (max allowed by the FCC is 1.6 W/kg)

What they will do is control when the phone will switch from 4g to 3g to 2g. This will cause some of you to be able to hold on to a 4g or 3g signal in some place that you didn't used to have it.

Radio drivers can also change the way the phone displays a certain signal strength by changing the way the signal to noise ratio is sent to the android telephony file in the platform_frameworks_base ... EXAMPLE -89dBm 43asu used to give you 2 bars of service. If they want to service providers can manipulate this to where the phone now shows 4 bars of service. Apple has done this in the past and Verizon admittedly did this with the 4.0.4 OTA.

Default values of SNR will display like this...

The LTE signal strength level is the smaller one
    between lte rsrp level and lte snr level if both
    rsrp and snr are valid.

The lte snr mapping are

Four bars: SNR >= 45

Three bars: 10 <= SNR < 45
    Two bars: -30 <= SNR < 10
    One bars: SNR < -30
    No bars: No Service

One final misconception I would like to clear up is that a radio update, assuming everything I stated prior remains true, should not make your phone's download speed faster. There are numerous variables that will cause the speed of your network to fluctuate. If you flash a radio and notice an increase in speed, whether it be small or large, you are only experiencing a placebo effect. The only file in android associated with download speeds is the build.prop file. With the exception of user traffic what I quoted below will be the biggest cause in difference of network speeds.

Reference signal received power (RSRP), is defined as the linear average over the power contributions in Watts of the resource elements that carry cell-specific reference signals within the considered measurement frequency bandwidth. Used to measure the signal of your LTE (GSM/4g) connection. In short, it's what's used to determine the best cell tower your LTE device can connect to at the given time. Anything below say -80db is considered pretty good and you're pretty close to a tower. -80db to -90db is average what you should expect most of the time. -90db or above and you're probably in an "extended network" area for LTE and getting close to a likely handoff. -105db and above you would be likely to see a handoff to 3G if your signal does not get better.

Throughput for your connection measured with LTE is estimated to decline between 30-50% if your signal goes from -75db to -90db for RSRP. Above -95db and your throughput dramatically drops. At around -108db and worse, your throughput for download drops to nearly 3G rates or worse. Note that this doesn't exactly represent how strong your signal is, just the potential of how efficiently it will send that data.

"But why can I have a super awesome RSRP signal and still my download/upload speeds are not that good (or why is it still sometimes good when RSRP is low)?"

Because it's only measuring the efficiency between you and the tower, not the rest of the network or the end source (the website). There are many network hops along the way to the destination and some may also handle connections inefficiently. The more hops, the slower the connection generally is.

However, it does also represent the greater likelihood that your connection will drop more packets of data that need to be retransmitted and thus not only slowing your connection but also causing it to have to work harder and draining more battery when it's actively downloading/uploading. That's why having it hand off is for the best than fighting it to stay on LTE. This is most likely why people always complained about the Thunderbolt having such poor battery life as no one ever saw what their RSRP was on it, only their RSSI like all other Gingerbread devices.

Now that all of that is cleared up here are your downloads :highfive:

INSTRUCTIONS:

All of these files are flashable through a custom recovery. If you would rather use fastboot just unzip the file a move the radios to your fastboot folder,

1. Download
    3. Wipe cache and dalvik cache (optional)
    4. Flash
    5. Reboot

AS ALWAYS FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK. IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG ONLY YOU ARE TO BLAME

FAQ:

1. Nandoids do not back up your radio and no you don't need to back up a radio.
    2. There is no need to wipe yet I suggest wiping your cache and dalvik cache anytime you flash anything.
    3. Yes you can go back radio versions if you don't like the one you are on. Just download and flash the desired radio.

4.0.1 (ITL41D)
    LTE-EK02 / CDMA-EK01

http://d-h.st/GuU

MD5 Sum: 3302017119dd24eaf99b2a6540ea3697

4.0.2 (ICL53F)
    LTE-EK02 / CDMA-EK05

http://d-h.st/70H

MD5 Sum: a12743e6d3b80734831f69502bdae29b

4.0.3 (IML74K)
    LTE-EK04 / CDMA-EK06

http://d-h.st/vXY

MD5 Sum: c07f43102346b7e88ac30fe981dbbf2b

4.0.4 (IMM30B)
    LTE-FA02 / CDMA-FA02

http://d-h.st/204

MD5 Sum: bd63961006aa65e88100017bab2c7fbb

4.0.4 (IMM76K)
    LTE-FC05 / CDMA-FC04

http://d-h.st/5X5

MD5 Sum: 498a0596e23a155e80676dbbd6ac426f

4.1.1 (JRO03O)
    LTE-FG02 / CDMA-FF02

http://d-h.st/Hr8

MD5 Sum: 576354b2d830daa8961847042ef90918

4.2.2 (JDQ39) Thanks Mwalt his thread here
    LTE FK01/CDMA FK02 Radios

http://d-h.st/uQx

MD5 Sum: 9d9841c7ee3d1e46ba30c013adf50d2a
    Three bars: 10
    [Radios][VZW] ALL the Verizon Galaxy Nexus Radios

reserved
    looks like i got beat but here they are lol

http://d-h.st/uQx
    Hey guys, been experimenting some more with improving connectivity and speed of the data connection. I've found that there are actually some tcp congestion algorithm tunables in /sys/module/tcp_*/parameters directories. There are none for westwood but a handful for cubic. I've found so far that changing hystart_low_window value to a lower number seems to have improved my connection speed and connectivity (less timeouts), as tested with Network Tester and browsing.

I've only really tested this with some significance on tcp_cubic so far, but I'm sure optimal values could be found for other tcp congestion algorithms that have tunables in /sys/module/tcp*. To change the values, just run "echo value > path_to_value" in terminal; e.g.:
    Code:
    echo 4 > /sys/module/tcp_cubic/parameters/hystart_low_window

This cubic tweak plus the previous tweaks I posted has made my data very usable with 1-2 bars. I encourage people to check out tcp tunables, especially if your kernel has a bunch of tcp's to chose from like Dirty V. Almost all kernels will have cubic to try this tweak though.
    Thank you for the information you provided - One question that I had that I didnt seem to notice an answer for.

When a carrier updates the Radio's firmware what are they actually changing / adding / removing that we would need an update. If its just the values to show us bars why so many radio updates.... if it has no effect on speed or signal what is happening when they update radio's.
    The thing is, the radio firmware is closed source, so unless someone works for Samsung, no one knows what changes they've made.

And while mark is correct that no firmware can change any hardware limitations (eg, max power output, antenna limitations, etc.), who knows what software limits (below maximum) are coded into that firmware, and how those are changed with each revision? I certainly don't know, and unless someone comes up with the sauce, I doubt they would know either. So while a new radio image may not do anything for performance, it may also do something and not just a placebo. No source, no real proof - - there are just too many other factors that affect signal strength and data ping/throughput.

So a new radio is really just an updated driver for the hardware radio?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
    Not really. The radio firmware that you are flashing is just that: firmware for the modem chip. It is not the "driver" that interfaces between Android and the modem.