Hardware compass support [UPD 28 Dec: Working in *all* GPS navigation software]

Search This thread

barty22

Jan 4, 2008
Probably going to buy a HD2 within a few months, and I am wondering whether there is any information available about the support for the hardware compass in any navigation software like iGO8, iGO Amigo, Google Maps (which are my personal favorites).

Google Maps Update:

The new 3.3.1 update for Google Maps (permanent link to most recent Google Maps, at the time of writing 3.3.1) adds hardware compass support for the HD2! When in the 'my location' mode, it will show you the direction you are facing by means of the blue my location dot changing into a blue arrow. You may have to walk and turn around a little bit to somewhat trigger the use of the compass. Note that this doesn't work when 'my location' is off (which makes sense). What makes less sense is that it won't work in combination with GPS either. With GPS, the arrow will still be there but will always face north. Maybe a bug?

I didn't find a way to let Google Maps rotate the map on the screen, depending on the direction you are facing.

I've double checked, and this feature is not available in the stock 3.2.1 (#16) Google Maps on the HD2.

Google Maps Update (13 Dec 2009):

This can work when using GPS as well. In Google Maps, apparently it works when you set your GPS settings to manual.
For example, set your baud rate to 57600 (Options -> GPS Settings -> Set Manually: COM4, Baud 57600).

Get compass navigation support in your GPS navigation software! (28 Dec 2009):

Have been working with Mach2003 to enable support for the compass in potentially *all* GPS navigation software!
Get GpsModDriver 1.50beta: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=5233994&postcount=583

Last edited:

Dark Fire

Aug 30, 2007
www.g400.co.uk
There are three possibilities:
1. Yes, some apps such as those listed will (perhaps not immediately, but eventually) be able to access the compass.
2. Yes, but the compass is mainly there for WM7 compatibility so until a WM7 upgrade comes, most apps won't be able to access the compass.
3. No, the compass is there just for the HTC Compass app, which would be really pointless and stupid.

clubtech

Jun 26, 2007
USA
Not unless HTC releases SDK for HD2

This is something I really don't understand about windows mobile devices.
The OEM's make such powerful phones with excellent hardware but they don't release the SDK to that developers can use these hardware feature and create good apps for the devices.
What's the point then?

I know Samsung recently starting releasing SDK's for their devices, I think HTC should follow if they want to keep people buying their devices.

kersh

Oct 28, 2007
i think that the compass will be used by some programs like igo and yes, google map, but not much more.

we will see in 2 weeks

vangrieg

Jul 30, 2007
Moscow
As far as I know HTC hasn't released SDKs for their current sensors but it doesn't prevent programs from using them they were reverse engineered very quickly.

kb0n

Oct 24, 2009
There are three possibilities:
1. Yes, some apps such as those listed will (perhaps not immediately, but eventually) be able to access the compass.
2. Yes, but the compass is mainly there for WM7 compatibility so until a WM7 upgrade comes, most apps won't be able to access the compass.
Hm, don't know which one I'd prefer =)

I don't think they'd just put a simple compass app on the device and NOT release a SDK just to get people excited for WM7. So I'm pretty sure the compass will be used in some way, either on preinstalled apps or via SDK.

bym007

Apr 17, 2006
Melbourne
i think that the compass will be used by some programs like igo and yes, google map, but not much more.

I, for one being a Muslim, would want an application telling directions to Mecca for prayer purposes... This "would" be definitely a big plus for Muslim HD2 adopters. I know some people have similar app on iPhone, but it takes direction from internet and as a result is highly inaccurate ...

barty22

Jan 4, 2008
Wooohoo, some new development.

An API has been developed by MilaCzeque. Check here!!

Next step is for some developer to somehow let Google Maps and our favourite navigation software use the API.

czbird

Feb 9, 2006
can't get the arrow to respond to phone turns when standing still, which I would expect. But the location is incredibly more precise in the new version 3.3.1

yngvebn

May 13, 2008
Oslo
Sorry, guys, but it's just the GPS tracking the direction it thinks you're moving.... No Compass-support in Google Maps I'm afraid.

Compass-support would be for instance rotating the map according to the direction the compass is pointing...

barty22

Jan 4, 2008
Sorry, guys, but it's just the GPS tracking the direction it thinks you're moving.... No Compass-support in Google Maps I'm afraid.

Compass-support would be for instance rotating the map according to the direction the compass is pointing...

You're wrong. It (only) works when GPS is disabled. And it does rotate according to the direction you are facing. It just doesn't rotate the map, but the arrow. It works when you rotate the phone (or when you rotate yourself while you're holding the phone :p) when sitting down/standing still/not using gps...

Last edited:

Shasarak

Aug 7, 2009
London
You're wrong. It (only) works when GPS is disabled. And it does rotate according to the direction you are facing. It just doesn't rotate the map, but the arrow. It works when you rotate the phone (or when you rotate yourself while you're holding the phone :p) when sitting down/standing still/not using gps...
On my Touch Pro2 I get this arrow on Google Maps version 3.2.1, and that phone doesn't even have a compass :) so I think it's safe to say that the arrow is not compass-based. The fact that it doesn't work unless you're moving is also a dead give-away.

DMAND

Dec 6, 2006
Only works with GPS over here, and doesnt rotate, doesnt look like it supports the compass yet.

bayowar

Nov 15, 2009
It worked indoor for me, without GPS, and very accurately.

I disabled GPS, hit the blue dot in the corner and waited for
a minute before it started.