Plex now works with chromecast without plex pass

Search This thread

wvcadle

Dec 31, 2011
Cast from laptop to TV via Plex

Is it possible to cast from the media server/web app to my television without a PlexPass?

I think I understand it correctly to say that if I pay for the app I can cast from Plex on my N5 to Chromecast, but what about from my laptop to Chromecast (without PlexPass)?

DJames1

Oct 10, 2013
^ In theory yes, but a lot of people are having trouble getting the cast icon to appear in Plex Web according to the Plex Web forum. I have two Win7 computers running Plex Web side by side, and I can get the cast icon to appear on one, but not the other. So far Plex doesn't have an explanation except to say that it's experimental and blame the Google Cast plugin in Chrome.

wvcadle

Dec 31, 2011
^ In theory yes, but a lot of people are having trouble getting the cast icon to appear in Plex Web according to the Plex Web forum. I have two Win7 computers running Plex Web side by side, and I can get the cast icon to appear on one, but not the other. So far Plex doesn't have an explanation except to say that it's experimental and blame the Google Cast plugin in Chrome.

Is it their intention to allow this, or just something that can done?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yesterday Plex released an update to their app and it still sas that chromecast is only for plexpass members however I am not a plexpass member and now i can cast right to my chromecast from my phone or tablet. the only thing i had to do was uninstall plex and install it fresh on my device. for some reason if you just update the app the chromecast it will not work. let me know how it works for you guys!
    Ah ha!...downloading the update now, will let you know.

EDIT: Nope, still does not work, updated, then uninstalled plex for android and reinstalled and still tells me no.

Thanks for trying anyway. I guess I'm just not lucky.

Well, it's not working for me.

Maybe you need to update your media server version? I know there have been a few updates recently. Maybe you are on an older version?
    Maybe you need to update your media server version? I know there have been a few updates recently. Maybe you are on an older version?

Ah ha!...downloading the update now, will let you know.

EDIT: Nope, still does not work, updated, then uninstalled plex for android and reinstalled and still tells me no.

Thanks for trying anyway. I guess I'm just not lucky.
    For some reason I cannot find where the download tab is for this app....keeps taking me to the website....feeling like a total noob.....lol....any help would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

first download aptoide, then search for plex, it will take you to a website try downloading it from the site and the app will jump in to download plex