Axim X50 Rescue + WM5(AO2) Upgrade + 2003(AO5) Downgrade Guide

Search This thread

hussein_erol

Jan 30, 2007
Manisa, TR
liberispiritu.com
I have available for download some nb0 files that work. Also, how to give your X50(mid) life again after you have bricked it (for example, you mistakenly flashed the WM5 A03 rom or any of the WM6 roms designed for the X50v).

Before you do anything, make sure you have at least a 256mb SD card and a card reader (you can get one at a place like Radio Shack or Office Depot). You also need to install winrar (found at WinRAR download and support. WinRAR is a powerful Windows tool to compress and decompress zip, rar and many other formats: Make Download). Your SD card must be formated with the FAT32 file system.

To format your SD Card with the FAT32 file system

Step 1: To do this insert the SD Card into the reader and go to "My Computer".
Step 1a: BACKUP YOUR FILES before you start
Step 2: Right-click the drive letter of the SD Card reader (differs for each computer, probably either E:\ or F:\ or G:\) and click "Format".
Step 2a: Don't worry about any of the options except for file system, choose "FAT 32"
Step 3: Click "Start" and wait until it is done

If you bricked your X50(mid) with a WM2003 SE rom trying to flash the A05 rom (latest rom for WM2003 SE)

Step 1: Get (OS) rom image at http://randomosity4.us/files/rfiles/...2k3_A05_EN.rar
Step 2: Extract files to any folder using Winrar
Step 3: Go to the folder where you extrated the files in the RAR archive
Step 4: Find the 2 files that have X50 in the filename (should be 1 (has a filename like DiMa_K_A05_X50_WM2k3_ENG) .nb0 file and (same naming conventions) 1 .crc file) and transfer them to the SD Card
Step 5: Take SD Card out of SD Card reader and put it in the axim
Step 6: Hold the power button and the wireless button at the same time, and quickly tap the soft reset button (little hole on back of axim near DELL logo and press it with something like a pencil or pen) 2 or 3 times
Step 6a: Watch screen for SD Card loader (should see the hard reset screen, but wait a few seconds until it shows up)
Step 7: choose the A05 rom image and follow any on-screen directions
Step 8: watch your axim come back to life and enjoy your axim

If you bricked your X50(mid) with a WM2003 SE rom trying to upgrade to WM5 (VIA USB)

Step 1: If the bootloader didn't flash, you're screwed. I can't help you. I have not included the bootloader for certain reasons.
Step 1a:If the bootloader flashed successfully, download the OS file at http://www.drivehq.com/web/steven855/X50_WM5_A01.rar.
Step 4: Find the 2 files that have X50 in the filename (should be 1 (has a filename like WM50_K_A01_X50_WM5_ENG) .nb0 file and (same naming conventions) 1 .crc file) and transfer them to the SD Card
Step 6: Hold the power button and the wireless button at the same time, and quickly tap the soft reset button (little hole on back of axim near DELL logo and press it with something like a pencil or pen) 2 or 3 times
Step 6a: Watch screen for SD Card loader (should see the hard reset screen, but wait a few seconds until it shows up)
Step 7: choose the A01 rom image and follow any on-screen directions

If you bricked your X50(mid) with the WM5 A01 rom trying to update the rom to the WM5 A02 rom (or you bricked it trying to flash Maglite's WM5 A03 rom or any of his WM6 roms)

Step 1: A02 uses a different bootloader than A01, so that has to flash successfully before you can update to A02. I have included the bootloader just in case. If you don't need the bootloader, don't worry about it.
Step 1a:If the bootloader flashed successfully, download the OS file at http://www.drivehq.com/web/steven855/X50_WM5_A02.rar.
Step 4: Find the 4 files that have X50 in the filename (should be 1 (has a filename like WM50_K_A02_X50_WM5_ENG) .nb0 file and (same naming conventions) 1 .crc file) and transfer them to the SD Card
Step 4a: Take the bootloader file and it's crc file (should be 1 (has a filename like WM50_B_A02_X50_WM5_ENG) .nb0 file and (same naming conventions) 1 .crc file) and transfer them to the SD Card
Step 7: choose the file "WM50_B_A02_X50_WM5_ENG.nb0" and follow any on-screen directions
Step 7a: repeat steps 6 and 6a
Step 7b: choose the file "WM50_K_A02_X50_WM5_ENG.nb0" and follow any on-screen directions

If you bricked your X50(mid) with a WM5 rom trying to downgrade to WM2003 SE

Step 1: Your procedure is similiar to the updating 2003 SE rom one
Step 1a:Get os and bootloader rom image at http://randomosity4.us/files/rfiles/...2k3_A05_EN.rar
Step 4: Find the 4 files that have X50 in the filename (should be 1 (has a filename like DiMa_K_A05_X50_WM2k3_ENG) .nb0 file and (same naming conventions) 1 .crc file) and transfer them to the SD Card
Step 4a: Take the bootloader file and it's crc file (should be 1 (has a filename like DiMa_B_A05_X50_WM2k3_ENG) .nb0 file and (same naming conventions) 1 .crc file) and transfer them to the SD Card
Step 4b: Rename the bootloader file (on the SD card) from "DiMa_B_A05_X50_WM2k3_ENG.nb0" to "WM50_K_A05_X50_WM2k3_ENG.nb0"
Step 7: choose the file "WM50_B_A05_X50_WM2k3_ENG.nb0" and follow any on-screen directions
Step 7a: repeat steps 6 and 6a
Step 7b: choose the file "DiMa_K_A05_X50_WM2k3_ENG.nb0" and follow any on-screen directions

Any questions, just post or PM me. I plan on having X50(low) rom images available soon (WM5 images at first and WM2003 SE images if I can find some, if you want to experiment and use the X50(mid) WM2003SE images in the meantime,I don't reccommend it unless you're desperate. If anyone wants me to have the X51 rom tutorial, let me know.

Credits Steven855

Last edited:

pedro.miguel

Jul 31, 2007
I need the original rom for the x51 (not V). I've tried to upgrade to wm6 and (of course) it didn't worked. Now I can't reverse.
Thank's

Steven855

Hmmmmmm.. Looks very familiar, wait, I posted this on aximsite. Hussein_erol took my work and posted it here. Oh well, I was going to eventually post it here too, but it seems my work has already been done.

p.s. Hussein_erol, did you know I am active on Xda-developers as well as aximsite?

Edit: Don't use the links posted here, and please use the links posted on aximsite on this same topic

Last edited:

londere

Nov 27, 2006
could you explainme how can i update my axim dell plz x50v in spanish to wm5 english

hussein_erol

Jan 30, 2007
Manisa, TR
liberispiritu.com
Hmmmmmm.. Looks very familiar, wait, I posted this on aximsite. Hussein_erol took my work and posted it here. Oh well, I was going to eventually post it here too, but it seems my work has already been done.
p.s. Hussein_erol, did you know I am active on Xda-developers as well as aximsite?

upgrade my axim this way. many thanks but this is only info sharing! i know you on aximsite but i don't know on xda-dev. sorry if problem with your own topic sharing.. :)

gabriel_39

Mar 8, 2008
Axim with alredy A01

I successfully upgrade my axim to A01 version and want to update to A02, DELL update not work for me and my question is if I can use the update method above for A01 to A02 bricked axim to do it?

alienx424

May 19, 2008
Harbin China
Bricked my axim again ! totally desperate! rescue me please!

Hi! Steven ! would you mind giving me some SD images , i `m totally desperate !! i sent a private msg . thanks for replying !
i need WM2003SE and WM5 A01 for x50Low .
Thank you verymuch !
Thank you Hussein bey ,too !

alienx424

May 19, 2008
Harbin China
Anyone can help with SD updating ?

Is it ok to flash X50 Low with X50 Mid `s ROM?
I used X50_K_WM50 A01 ROM to flash my 416cpu x50 low device then it did not boot ,black screen ,nothing happend,afterward , i flashed again with X50_K_WM50 A02 ,it did boot but stuck at 80%. I`m sooooooo bored of flashing my god damn PDA everyday ,and end up with failure ,and this is taking my whole lot of time ,totally breaking my mind .
I need to downgrade to 2003 ,so i thought i would need to upgade to wm5 a01 first ,then load 2003se image via SD ,but i totally screwed up .
Mr Erol told me that i needed to integrate bootloader, but i frankly ,don`t understand that . HOW TO I INTEGRATE BOOTLOADER ? sorry ,Hussein bey ,i`m not a CE geek,forgive me ,please!

Anyone can help ? Thank you !

Last edited:

alienx424

May 19, 2008
Harbin China
Thanks,Everyone !for guiding me how to do it !

Thank you Hussein bey ! Thank you Steven! For giving us all those support and technical knowledge . YEAHHHHHHHH! I finally made it!!!!!!
I bricked my axim x50low when i attempted to update ROM to WM6 (i knew that wm6 needs 128 ROM ,however, i was damn curious,concequently gave my dear pda death penalty:D, I searched whole xda site and almost every corner of related sites, no answer ,,,, ,damn it , wasted my 2 weeks on searching internet ,asking people ,... fortunately, there tons of fragments of tricks and things i needed to know. Thanks you Hussein bey , you told me to integrate bootloader ,i didn`t get it at frist ,so, spent my time on blindly flashing my device every night ,ended up with endless failure.
My history of failure:
WM2003SE A05 -> USB -> wm5 A01 successful
wm5 A01->SD-> WM6 failure (it booted but stuck at 80%)
Tried to roll back to wm5 A02 via SD update -> stuck at 80% again
Tried to roll back to 2003SE (DiMA`s ROM) via SD ,but appeared "no suitable update" -> failure again
aftet some days ,found IMG2NB0F.exe ,but didn`t work ,produced 0mb image file .
Tonight , got some DELL`s official update`s pack ,found another one IMG2NB0F(2).exe at an Italian site ,it truly generated some 40mb of nb0 file ,and i generated CRC through CRC calculater, renamed nb0 and put em all in FAT32 SD card , flashed -> NO RESULT - Black screen , nothing,but SD update mode works ,self diagonis works .
Successful History of rescuing :
1. downgraded Bootloader from A02 to A01
2.put those DiMA`s A05_X50_WM2k3 images (4files including bootloader nb0 file,nb0 ROM image and correspondent SRC files) into the FAT32 formatted SD card
3. insert SD card into the AXIM ,press Power+wireless then tap softreset once while you`re still holding P and W button ,then SD image update appears
4.install DiMa_B_A05_X50_WM2k3_ENG.nb0 ,untill it finishes and asks hardreset . repeat P+W+softreset to preform SD update again ,then install DiMa_K_A05_X50_WM2k3_ENG.nb0
5. It really takes a long time ,about 30 minutes later , it says " image update successful ,plz hard reset ,then do it , --> Blue DELL logo appears , boots uppppppppp !

Thank you ! Hussein !for giving me the download link of 2003SE image and the bootloader trick . You have a pretty good turkish website ,i love it! I`ll visit often .
Thank you Steven! for teaching us all those things !

kokting

Aug 24, 2009
My bricked Axim X50 can't detect "WM50_B_A05_X50_WM2k3_ENG.nb0"

hi
I got X50 ME and when i try the methods above I can only pass DIMA files. I can't detect WM50_B_A05_X50_WM2k3_ENG.nb0. need help....:(
thanks
Rgds,
kokting

Zikan

Mar 17, 2010
Thank you Hussein bey ! Thank you Steven! For giving us all those support and technical knowledge . YEAHHHHHHHH! I finally made it!!!!!!
I bricked my axim x50low when i attempted to update ROM to WM6 (i knew that wm6 needs 128 ROM ,however, i was damn curious,concequently gave my dear pda death penalty:D, I searched whole xda site and almost every corner of related sites, no answer ,,,, ,damn it , wasted my 2 weeks on searching internet ,asking people ,... fortunately, there tons of fragments of tricks and things i needed to know. Thanks you Hussein bey , you told me to integrate bootloader ,i didn`t get it at frist ,so, spent my time on blindly flashing my device every night ,ended up with endless failure.
My history of failure:
WM2003SE A05 -> USB -> wm5 A01 successful
wm5 A01->SD-> WM6 failure (it booted but stuck at 80%)
Tried to roll back to wm5 A02 via SD update -> stuck at 80% again
Tried to roll back to 2003SE (DiMA`s ROM) via SD ,but appeared "no suitable update" -> failure again
aftet some days ,found IMG2NB0F.exe ,but didn`t work ,produced 0mb image file .
Tonight , got some DELL`s official update`s pack ,found another one IMG2NB0F(2).exe at an Italian site ,it truly generated some 40mb of nb0 file ,and i generated CRC through CRC calculater, renamed nb0 and put em all in FAT32 SD card , flashed -> NO RESULT - Black screen , nothing,but SD update mode works ,self diagonis works .
Successful History of rescuing :
1. downgraded Bootloader from A02 to A01
2.put those DiMA`s A05_X50_WM2k3 images (4files including bootloader nb0 file,nb0 ROM image and correspondent SRC files) into the FAT32 formatted SD card
3. insert SD card into the AXIM ,press Power+wireless then tap softreset once while you`re still holding P and W button ,then SD image update appears
4.install DiMa_B_A05_X50_WM2k3_ENG.nb0 ,untill it finishes and asks hardreset . repeat P+W+softreset to preform SD update again ,then install DiMa_K_A05_X50_WM2k3_ENG.nb0
5. It really takes a long time ,about 30 minutes later , it says " image update successful ,plz hard reset ,then do it , --> Blue DELL logo appears , boots uppppppppp !

Thank you ! Hussein !for giving me the download link of 2003SE image and the bootloader trick . You have a pretty good turkish website ,i love it! I`ll visit often .
Thank you Steven! for teaching us all those things !

Please tell me how you do it x50low upgrade to wm5

ekimbadger

Apr 23, 2012
nairobi
Help pleeeeeease!!

hi. i bricked my axim low trying to upgrade to WM5 would you mind giving me some ideas on how to unbrick my dell axim x50 low SD please, i `m totally desperate !! i need some help, please give me the links for downloading the files and the how to guide to go about it .thanks for replying !

Vachon

Feb 22, 2018
ROM Availability

Are any of these Axim x50, x50v, x51, x51v ROMs still available anywhere? Dell WM5 A02+, Lenny, Steven, or any of the ROMs mentioned in the Dell Forums of several years ago? All links mentioned in the forums are long since inactive.

I have an application that would really benefit from being able to use these devices with some older measuring equipment, and I have 2 dozen of the Axims and some HP HX4700s.

Any insight would really be appreciated. I know these units are well past prime, but could still be very useful to some of us if we could obtain better ROMs, particularly the Bluetooth stack versions.

Thanks!

tb110188

Jan 19, 2012
Campo Grande
This device is anything but abandoned, i'm looking for the upgrade from 2003 to WM 5 and anywhere to find it, no one has the files or if they have, don't wamt to share...

I'm so sad right now...