Nexus 4 Bumper Issue

Search This thread

rmkilc

Nov 12, 2011
Vancouver, WA
www.rmkilc.com
I received my bumper from the Play Store a few days ago. I really like the feel and shape of it, but there is a weak spot in the design of the plastic. Mine has a crack right below the USB port. I don't recall it being there when I received it, but it could have been. And now because of this crack, the plastic on each side of the USB port is angling up towards the middle. If or when the crack spreads all the way through the plastic, then it will be only the rubber part holding it together. Anyone else experiencing this?

7bvazl.jpg

kpjimmy

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio TX
Nothing Phone 1
Google Pixel 7
I received my bumper from the Play Store a few days ago. I really like the feel and shape of it, but there is a weak spot in the design of the plastic. Mine has a crack right below the USB port. I don't recall it being there when I received it, but it could have been. And now because of this crack, the plastic on each side of the USB port is angling up towards the middle. If or when the crack spreads all the way through the plastic, then it will be only the rubber part holding it together. Anyone else experiencing this?

7bvazl.jpg

Nothing wrong on my end. It kind of looks like the result of the usb cord you may be using. Are you using the usb cable that was supplied with the phone or are you using a third party micro usb cord? Looks like the plastic part of the usb cord is pressing against the plastic where under enough pressure.

rmkilc

Nov 12, 2011
Vancouver, WA
www.rmkilc.com
Nothing wrong on my end. It kind of looks like the result of the usb cord you may be using. Are you using the usb cable that was supplied with the phone or are you using a third party micro usb cord? Looks like the plastic part of the usb cord is pressing against the plastic where under enough pressure.

That would be pressure in the opposite direction. What you are describing is downward pressure on the plastic, which would close the crack, not pry it apart. I think the crack is a weak spot in the design and happens when installing the bumper. The U-shape of the plastic is akin to pulling apart a Turkey wishbone until it breaks.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

nbell13

Aug 10, 2011
No issues here. I've had mine since mid-November and taken it off and put it back on several times.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    rmkilc, I really hope you'll get your replacement soon (hopefully you got it already :))

I just want to ask, the crack was only in the bumper, right? It didn't cause a crack in the device as well?

That is akin to asking whether tearing your sleeve will also tear your arm off. Besides, the black rim around the Nexus 4 is a rubbery material. It won't crack.
    My black OEM bumper cracked on the middle bottom on the silver piece by the USB Port opening. I am sending it back for a refund and my question is does anybody know how long it takes them to refund me the monies? Thanks guys cheers

Sent by my Kitteh he chews on muffins on my Sexy Nexi 4 using Tapatalk

I had to call maybe four times over a couple weeks to get a damn refund. In the end, I got a refund without sending it in the day after I talked to the fourth rep. I got an email confirming the refund in my wallet. If you don't get it, keep calling till you do!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
    I just made a post about this happening to my bumper in the official Nexus community on Google+. Looks like I'll be contacting Google about my defect as well because for this bumper to cost me almost $30 after tax & shipping it needs to be of at least half way decent quality. What's crazy is my crack is in the exact same place as the one in the pics in this post. Clearly the plastic is weak in that location due to a manufacture line in the plastic.
    After contacting Google Play Store support they told me that I have to contact LG since they manufactured the bumper case... SMH this is turning into the worst almost $30 I've spent on an item. They number they gave me for them was 1(800)243-0000 for those interested.

***UPDATE***
    After another call I was issued a refund. I placed a second call after the crack split completely. I'll either wait and see what the replica bumpers look like or get something from T-Mobile when they get their Nexus 4 accessories in next week.
    It is a poorly designed case if taking the bottom out first instead of the top causes it to fall apart.

Agreed. Been using the poetic bumper that I bought a while back. Loving it, less bulky than the the Google one

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium