Search This thread

joellecool

Mar 28, 2011
Hey Guys,

I got an HTC Vivid a while ago. However, when I got , I looked into the software unlock method to unlock it. Doing so required for the phone to first be rooted. So I followed through some steps to root it. WORST DECISION EVER ! Since then, not only did the unlock not work, but the phone has gotten so slow and dysfunctional it is barely useful. I mean, everything else runs properly, except Calls and Text Message. i.e The phone isn't performing its right function.

Thus, I wanted to look into a way to 'unroot it' or at least just return COMPLETELY to factory settings. I want to be at least able to sell it and buy another. I've looked through and tried a couple of guides to remove the root. One seemed to work really well, until I restarted the phone, where the "Cleanup" window came back on, and the phone returned to its old rooted self.

Thanks in advance for your help !

joellecool

Mar 28, 2011
How did you root it...

What 'unlock' are you trying to accomplish?

Sent from my Vivid 4G using Tapatalk

I rooted using a method I saw here, which was supposed to be one of the steps to software unlock.

However, it is not already uncooked using the regular IMEI, which is completely different.

So, now I just want to unroot, and bring the phone back to factory, with those "Android is Upgrading...Optimizing applications" message at every boot up.

projectisaac

Jan 7, 2014
If you revert to stock ROM using ruu, you will be unroofed.

Sent from my Vivid 4G using xda app-developers app

projectisaac

Jan 7, 2014
I tried that once...It didn't seem to work for me. Is there a particular method I need to follow?

Also, it seems the "Deodex' method for my rom was supposed to work?

Thank you in advance.

In not familiar with the "deodex" method, but I did fish out a guide for the ruu:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=34617117

In the meantime, I'll look up the deodex method and come back to this post.

ph0n3n3rd

Oct 26, 2013
Brisbane
I have recently tried to revert my Velocity back to stock but ran into the same problem. Have relocked the device and tried to flash stock RUU but this didn't work. My device was s-on and I read in a post here that to be able to go back to stock RUU you need to be s-off. The part I haven't worked out yet is to be able to get s-off you have to be on stock RUU!

projectisaac

Jan 7, 2014
I have recently tried to revert my Velocity back to stock but ran into the same problem. Have relocked the device and tried to flash stock RUU but this didn't work. My device was s-on and I read in a post here that to be able to go back to stock RUU you need to be s-off. The part I haven't worked out yet is to be able to get s-off you have to be on stock RUU!

You DO NOT need to be s-off to be on stock ruu. Do you mind going through the steps you followed?

ph0n3n3rd

Oct 26, 2013
Brisbane
You DO NOT need to be s-off to be on stock ruu. Do you mind going through the steps you followed?

No, sorry ,I meant to say that you have to be on stock RUU to be able to achieve s-off. The guide that I followed was "The HTC Superguide " in the development section of this device. Firstly, I did a full wipe, as in Dalvic cache, Cache, System, Boot and Factory Data Reset, also SD card, then I relocked the device with "fastboot oem lock", after that I tried to run the stock RUU ( The one the phone was originally on ), which started the initial flash but stopped at about 10% and came up with " ERROR 140 ". I tried 4 or 5 times and even tried another computer with the same result.

projectisaac

Jan 7, 2014
No, sorry ,I meant to say that you have to be on stock RUU to be able to achieve s-off. The guide that I followed was "The HTC Superguide " in the development section of this device. Firstly, I did a full wipe, as in Dalvic cache, Cache, System, Boot and Factory Data Reset, also SD card, then I relocked the device with "fastboot oem lock", after that I tried to run the stock RUU ( The one the phone was originally on ), which started the initial flash but stopped at about 10% and came up with " ERROR 140 ". I tried 4 or 5 times and even tried another computer with the same result.

I found this thread with people that had the same problem, but I'm not sure if it will help you: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1828491&page=3

You could try flashing an old gingerbread ROM and then try the RUU, as it seems to have something to do with the rom on the phone being newer than the RUU or something.

Reactions: ph0n3n3rd

ph0n3n3rd

Oct 26, 2013
Brisbane
I found this thread with people that had the same problem, but I'm not sure if it will help you: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1828491&page=3

You could try flashing an old gingerbread ROM and then try the RUU, as it seems to have something to do with the rom on the phone being newer than the RUU or something.

I have tried flashing an old gingerbread rom ( 2.27.841.6 ) as well as the latest version I could find ( 3.25.841.4 ) but I keep getting "ERROR 140 WRONG BOOTLOADER" and it also says the current version is 3.44.841.3 which is why I can't upgrade because I'm really trying to downgrade. The update to 3.44.841.3 from 3.25.841.4 was only about 58Mb but I can't find that and I don't think it would be of much use.
I have also tried to s-off the device with a live Ubuntu 12.04 32bit CD using ControlBear instructions but hit a snag because the sudo ./ControlBear command does nothing. I think the permissions or password may be out of date. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
I made a PH39IMG.zip from the 3.25.841.4 and tried flashing that but got the Wrong Image message too.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.