[Q] Apps2sd not working! Please help!

Search This thread

liranh

Nov 20, 2010
London
It's the second time I try to configure my phone for Apps2SD, and it just doesn't seem to work! I've got a HTC Desire GSM, running MIUI 2.4.13. This time i've configured my phone to Apps2SD following the guide in this thread: http://miuiandroid.com/community/th...tall-of-miui-with-enough-room-for-apps.15808/
I did everything just like he said, and with regards to the partitions, I allocated 1024MB to one partition, 0 to the next partition, and 512MB for the swap partition. Then I chose EXT3. But there is no diference in my storage... I still only have 29MB free (out of 105MB) after installing apps.

Please help! What am doing wrong? This is really frustrating me..!

paolo-red1

Jun 29, 2011
Somewhere in the middle of Italy
In order to work properly, the partitions must be created in this order: fat32, ext4, swap. Did you created them in this way? I suggest also to make partitions on your sd-card with gparted live or 4ext recovery (search this in the development section).

If you did it like that, in miui you have to enable a2sd:
download terminal emulator from market.
Type:
su
(enter)
a2sd reinstall
(enter)
(the phone after a while reboots)

if you want to move also dalvik to have more space (but less performance) type in emulator:
su
(enter)
a2sd cachesd

Last edited:
Reactions: Dino89 and liranh

liranh

Nov 20, 2010
London
In order to work properly, the partitions must be created in this order: fat32, ext4, swap. Did you created them in this way? I suggest also to make partitions on your sd-card with gparted live or 4ext recovery (search this in the development section).

Type:
su
(enter)
a2sd reinstall
(enter)

if you want to move also dalvik to have more space (but less performance) type in emulator:
su
(enter)
a2sd cachesd

I've tried both terminal codes. Something is definitely working, because I've installed all the apps I used to have before and a few more, without moving anything to the SD card, and I've still got 27MB out of ~150MB.
Question is: If all the apps are stored on the SD card, why does the internal memory keep running out as I install more apps?

paolo-red1

Jun 29, 2011
I've tried both terminal codes. Something is definitely working, because I've installed all the apps I used to have before and a few more, without moving anything to the SD card, and I've still got 27MB out of ~150MB.
Question is: If all the apps are stored on the SD card, why does the internal memory keep running out as I install more apps?

It's normal. A2sd move app (and dalvik if you type cachesd), but app's data remain in internal. If you need more space you have to choose data2sd script, it uses ext partition like internal, but affecting performance, overall if you have a low class SD-card. The best choice is to move app and, if you need more space, to move dalvik. Darktremor's a2sd is the first, most solid and stable script to do this, and it does very well.

liranh

Nov 20, 2010
London
It's normal. A2sd move app (and dalvik if you type cachesd), but app's data remain in internal. If you need more space you have to choose data2sd script, it uses ext partition like internal, but affecting performance, overall if you have a low class SD-card. The best choice is to move app and, if you need more space, to move dalvik. Darktremor's a2sd is the first, most solid and stable script to do this, and it does very well.

Okay that makes a lot of sense, thank you.
I've got a class 6 microSD card. Is that good enough for data2sd? And how do I go about doing it? Am I going to need to wipe and partition all over again, or is the current configuration I've got sufficient?

paolo-red1

Jun 29, 2011
Okay that makes a lot of sense, thank you.
I've got a class 6 microSD card. Is that good enough for data2sd? And how do I go about doing it? Am I going to need to wipe and partition all over again, or is the current configuration I've got sufficient?

Yes, class 6 is good. I have it too. But use data2sd only if you need more space. If you don't, don't use it, your phone may lag, have less responsiveness, etc..
You can find MIUI-XJ in developer section that has data2sd implemented.
Also you can try other script like m2sd by dk_zero-cool and xa2sdx by amarullz.
I never use install them separatly, so read instructions in their trhead.
Maybe you have only to wipe dalvik and cache but I am not sure.

liranh

Nov 20, 2010
London
Yes, class 6 is good. I have it too. But use data2sd only if you need more space. If you don't, don't use it, your phone may lag, have less responsiveness, etc..
You can find MIUI-XJ in developer section that has data2sd implemented.
Also you can try other script like m2sd by dk_zero-cool and xa2sdx by amarullz.
I never use install them separatly, so read instructions in their trhead.
Maybe you have only to wipe dalvik and cache but I am not sure.

Okay perfect. Thanks again for all your help :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Type:
    su
    (enter)
    a2sd reinstall
    (enter)

su
    (enter)
    a2sd cachesd