Look at the letter I got regarding Google Wallet

Search This thread

josh995

Oct 15, 2010
Stafford, VA
Not sure if this is something that has been posted in this forum before, but I got a letter from Verizon regarding my FCC complaint about Google Wallet.

Thought it was worth sharing...

Attachments

• vzwletter.jpg
    vzwletter.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 5,630
Last edited:

Shibby87

Mar 13, 2012
This is just utter bs.. Makes me sick to be a Verizon customer. So according to them they don't block Google Wallet, but then they go on to explain that any app that integrates with the secure element will be blocked.. So why diddnt they just say that in the first place? I'm sure this is just an excuse for them to force us to use their ****ty take on wallet, and you can be damn sure their app integrates with the secure element, hypocrits. How is it that every other carrier has it available and we don't? So it sounds like if we want official Google Wallet for our devices without editing the build prop, Google will have to release a device under Verizon with it preinstalled. Wow, just wow.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: brutusf

josh995

Oct 15, 2010
Stafford, VA
This is just utter bs.. Makes me sick to be a Verizon customer. So according to them they don't block Google Wallet, but then they go on to explain that any app that integrates with the secure element will be blocked.. So why diddnt they just say that in the first place? I'm sure this is just an excuse for them to force us to use their ****ty take on wallet, and you can be damn sure their app integrates with the secure element, hypocrits. How is it that every other carrier has it available and we don't? So it sounds like if we want official Google Wallet for our devices without editing the build prop, Google will have to release a device under Verizon with it preinstalled. Wow, just wow.

Exactly. Also, if it's such a limitation, then why does it work on Sprint? Doesn't the Sprint S3 have the same internals as the Verizon S3?

sbell7105

Jan 16, 2011
Denver

Wow I must be out of the loop but please tell me besides sprint what carriers officially support Google Wallet?

Reactions: xsteven77x

Pacifik

Jun 8, 2010
Pasadena
I believe Verizon has stated that they won't provide ISIS access to Nexus devices either as they are not certified for their BLAH BLAH security reasons BLAH. I do believe Google is tinkering on a work around for this stuff. At least they didn't go to the effort of disabling NFC entirely like other carriers have.

Hulk0069

Oct 25, 2010
You guys are crybabies. I just came from Sprint and if you think Verizon is so awful you should probably go tale a look elsewhere. We'll see ya when you come crawling back ;)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

Not about being a cry baby, just wrong, how we're restricted

Sent from my DROID X2 using xda premium

Chris123NT

Nov 12, 2012
Malabar, FL
Wow, this is kinda messed up. Hopefully google can find a way around this, the carriers definitely have too much control over android to be able to have limitations like this in place.

Would be nice if google had full control over the android ecosystem, especially for things like updates, but thankfully we can root and use custom roms to get around the updates issue (especially us VZ users since they're always last to push updates).

Imatoasta

Nov 18, 2011
Wow, this is kinda messed up. Hopefully google can find a way around this, the carriers definitely have too much control over android to be able to have limitations like this in place.

Would be nice if google had full control over the android ecosystem, especially for things like updates, but thankfully we can root and use custom roms to get around the updates issue (especially us VZ users since they're always last to push updates).

Yeah Google is finding a way around this. In about a year they'll have a big workaround with a little help from dish network hopefully ;) Make sure to start selling any stock you have in the big telcos right now.

droidstyle

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne
meh I dont need wallet anyways...im still quite capable of pulling cash or plastic out of my pocket to pay.

sRDennyCrane

Yeah Google is finding a way around this. In about a year they'll have a big workaround with a little help from dish network hopefully ;) Make sure to start selling any stock you have in the big telcos right now.

Dish Network? The red-headed stepchild of the content provider industry? Are you seriously looking for Dish to solve anything here? Dish helping Google makes as much sense as TomTom helping Apple with their maps... and we all know how smoothly THAT'S going.

Reactions: xsteven77x

Imatoasta

Nov 18, 2011

cbrehob

Jan 9, 2012
Send to Google

Send this letter to Google and see if they will respond to it in any way.

Greg Tolan

Dec 27, 2010
New York

I received a very similar letter from Verizon from a person named Fred Powell. I sent a letter directly to the FCC responding to his BS about the secure element. I haven't heard back yet.

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

I received a very similar letter from Verizon from a person named Fred Powell. I sent a letter directly to the FCC responding to his BS about the secure element. I haven't heard back yet.

this person who responded must have read my letter because I explicity destroyed them on the fact that other mcommerce apps can be used but not wallet so their argument is bunk. Google updated walled to be used not in the secure element in late July I believe. I'll find my letter when i go home. Eff Verizon.

Reactions: TheDiabolicaL1

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
FYI, I dropped the story to Droid-Life thanks to you guys (ItsASamsung is my alternate usertag). I like the way phonearena put it best.

So, the official reason why Verizon isn't allowing Google Wallet is because it requires interaction with a "secure element" (aka NFC-chip), and that secure element isn't available on all Verizon handsets. Following this logic, Verizon will have to be careful when Isis is launched on the network (currently it is only testing on T-Mobile), and not allow users who haven't purchased NFC-enabled SIM cards to download and install Isis, or else the company would look quite hypocritical.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You guys are crybabies. I just came from Sprint and if you think Verizon is so awful you should probably go tale a look elsewhere. We'll see ya when you come crawling back ;)

Not sure if this is something that has been posted in this forum before, but I got a letter from Verizon regarding my FCC complaint about Google Wallet.

Thought it was worth sharing...
    I'm taking them to court...filling lawsuit in federal court this week...

Well I feel this is illegal and I think I am willing to consult an attorney on the matter. They have to pay legal fees anyways...

Let us know how that works out...