[Q] Moto X GSM Unlocked T-Mobile works outside the US?

Search This thread

aricris

Sep 17, 2013
Hi!

I'm planning to buy a customized Moto X unlocked GSM edition but I'm wondering if it'll work outside the US.
At Moto they don't know as "they haven't tried it". And is confusing as it says on their website that is GSM unlocked but comes with a t-mobile sim card, so it's unlocked to work with t-mobile and at&t only or also open to other compatible GSM networks around the world? Has anyone had the chance to try it?

joemon871

Jan 14, 2014
Hi!

I'm planning to buy a customized Moto X unlocked GSM edition but I'm wondering if it'll work outside the US.
At Moto they don't know as "they haven't tried it". And is confusing as it says on their website that is GSM unlocked but comes with a t-mobile sim card, so it's unlocked to work with t-mobile and at&t only or also open to other compatible GSM networks around the world? Has anyone had the chance to try it?

Most phones shipped these days support most 2g/3g bands to support international roaming features. Say you're going to Europe, i wouldn't count on you getting anywhere near LTE speeds or even 4g speeds because there networks aren't that developed yet, put in simple terms, but there's a good chance that you can still get a supported 2g/3g connection, does that make sense? I would take it with me if i were you, no harm in that right?

Reactions: aricris

TheSaw

Dec 24, 2010
Cluj
Most phones shipped these days support most 2g/3g bands to support international roaming features. Say you're going to Europe, i wouldn't count on you getting anywhere near LTE speeds or even 4g speeds because there networks aren't that developed yet, put in simple terms, but there's a good chance that you can still get a supported 2g/3g connection, does that make sense? I would take it with me if i were you, no harm in that right?

We have 4G in our little East-European country, Romania (probably you never heard of it)

Reactions: aricris

joemon871

Jan 14, 2014
We have 4G in our little East-European country, Romania (probably you never heard of it)

I heard of it :) What you can do is find out what network bands your cellphone company back in Romania uses and see if your phone supports it. There's a good chance your phone will support one of their bands though

TheSaw

Dec 24, 2010
Cluj
I heard of it :) What you can do is find out what network bands your cellphone company back in Romania uses and see if your phone supports it. There's a good chance your phone will support one of their bands though

They support it for 2G/3G, but not above. The bands are different for LTE.

TheSaw

Dec 24, 2010
Cluj
Yup exactly as i predicted first post but hey good news is at least you'll be able to use the phone. Use WiFi for your internet needs

3G is fast enough. As the 4G network is not fully developed (no full country coverage), and the prices are still high, I don't think it's really worth stressing too much about it. I ordered myself a MotoX from the states with a non-compatible LTE hardware just now. I know that I won't use that technology in a comfortable way anyways for the next 2 years. For my personal needs, 3G+ is more than enough.

joemon871

Jan 14, 2014
3G is fast enough. As the 4G network is not fully developed (no full country coverage), and the prices are still high, I don't think it's really worth stressing too much about it. I ordered myself a MotoX from the states with a non-compatible LTE hardware just now. I know that I won't use that technology in a comfortable way anyways for the next 2 years. For my personal needs, 3G+ is more than enough.

Ya don't worry about it too much because it sounds like you're a casual user, mainly for emails and such I'm guessing? But anyways Lte speeds are really going to take off in the next couple years so you'll be in for a treat when you get back :) Happy Journey!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Reactions: TheSaw

TheSaw

Dec 24, 2010
Cluj
Ya don't worry about it too much because it sounds like you're a casual user, mainly for emails and such I'm guessing? But anyways Lte speeds are really going to take off in the next couple years so you'll be in for a treat when you get back :) Happy Journey!

Well I could say casual user, I guess, but I use mostly wifi wherever I spend more time. Home, work, friends place, all have good wifi, so when I'm out, I switch to 3G, and in that time I don't really need super fast speeds.

Thanks.

aricris

Sep 17, 2013

Romania?? of course I have!! have u heard about Ecuador? haha
At high school we studied most countries name around the world =) not as in...u may know where
And thanks!! means that it's really unlocked

aricris

Sep 17, 2013

Makes sense and the harm is like $430 haha and then the time n money to unlock it. But now anymore by knowing that some people had try it outside the US :D.
My worry was about if it's really unlocked as I'm buying it to use it in Ecuador most of the time. And when u buy it, it says that they give u a t-mobile sim card so that's confusing.
Bought it yesterday

joemon871

Jan 14, 2014
Makes sense and the harm is like $430 haha and then the time n money to unlock it. But now anymore by knowing that some people had try it outside the US :D.
My worry was about if it's really unlocked as I'm buying it to use it in Ecuador most of the time. And when u buy it, it says that they give u a t-mobile sim card so that's confusing.
Bought it yesterday

Haha guess you'll have to find out yourself eh? let us know if it works

aricris

Sep 17, 2013
Works outside the us!

If you want it...buy it because it works!! The NO CONTRACT MOTO X is fully unlocked!!

Comes with a t-mobile nano card but that's no problem...I guess if that I need it at the US someday, I will have to activate it.:D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi!

moto x in Belgium

I got my T-mobile Moto X shipped to Belgium, it works on the local GSM networks.