[Q] Ignorant Kernel Questions

Search This thread
Nov 29, 2012
Lincoln, NE
So I've tried a bunch of different ROMs (CleanROM, Alliance, Beans, CM, OMNI, "Stock", probably more), but I've never really understood kernels. It seems some custom ROMs have a kernel built in (or several to choose from via Aroma), while others do not. Right now I'm running AOKP (4.4.2) with the kernel from OMNI (3.0.64-OMNI-g5f47648), presumably because that was the previous ROM I flashed with a kernel. I'm not too concerned with customization, more with stability.

I've been having a few minor bugs and crashes and I'd like to try perhaps the stock kernel to see if that might help, but I have some questions:

1) Does it matter when flashing a kernel whether the ROM is TW or AOSP?
2) Are there multiple versions of kernels that correspond with the Android version of the ROM?
3) What's the best/easiest way to flash a kernel, presumably through the custom recovery like a ROM?
4) Where can I find the stock kernel? I found this thread (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2610870) with the stock MJ9 kernel, but going back to my first two questions I'm not sure if it would work with my current ROM.

Thanks ahead of time for any insight anyone can provide. :)

lacoursiere18

Jan 9, 2013
LbTs
So I've tried a bunch of different ROMs (CleanROM, Alliance, Beans, CM, OMNI, "Stock", probably more), but I've never really understood kernels. It seems some custom ROMs have a kernel built in (or several to choose from via Aroma), while others do not. Right now I'm running AOKP (4.4.2) with the kernel from OMNI (3.0.64-OMNI-g5f47648), presumably because that was the previous ROM I flashed with a kernel. I'm not too concerned with customization, more with stability.

I've been having a few minor bugs and crashes and I'd like to try perhaps the stock kernel to see if that might help, but I have some questions:

2) Are there multiple versions of kernels that correspond with the Android version of the ROM?
3) What's the best/easiest way to flash a kernel, presumably through the custom recovery like a ROM?
4) Where can I find the stock kernel? I found this thread (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2610870) with the stock MJ9 kernel, but going back to my first two questions I'm not sure if it would work with my current ROM.

Yes. TW and AOSP kernels are different.. The only one, that I believe, that can be used with both is Devil kernel for Dual Booting

Yes. Usually every version of android that gets updated.. the kernel does as well

Yes you can flash kernels through a custom recovery. Most of the time they are included with the Rom that you flash. A lot of the custom ones out have flashable zip for you to flash them through a recovery.

No this will NOT work with a AOSP rom.. The kernel will be specific to that ROM and every other TW 4.3 ROM, but NOT AOSP;)

Nov 29, 2012
Lincoln, NE
Yes. TW and AOSP kernels are different.. The only one, that I believe, that can be used with both is Devil kernel for Dual Booting

Thanks for the explanations, that helps tremendously. I'm confused now, however, because several people on the AOKP thread (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2453566) claim to be on "stock kernel". Is there a stock kernel for AOSP that I'm missing?

lacoursiere18

Jan 9, 2013
LbTs
Well that's what I thought, but why then would I be using an OMNI kernel (3.0.64-OMNI-g5f47648) when I have flashed the last three AOKP nightly ROMs that have come out? Or am I missing something here?

Maybe he uses that kernel.. AOSP kernels, I believe are pretty similar.. I may be wrong, I am by NO MEANS a kernel guru..I would open you zip of your ROM (AOKP) and take a peak.. if there is a boot.img than it flashes a kernel.. and if your says OMNI then thats the kernel the dev has used..

nealman

Dec 13, 2010
Stock

If I'm on the stock rom and want to go back to the original kernel can I just restore the boot img in recovery?

yazalsaidi

Feb 3, 2014
Birmingham
I have a noob question, I'm currently using n3bula 3.9 custom rom and it's been running fine for a while. I noticed that users chose the agni kernel whereas I chose the stock one. So my question is, is it possible to flash just the kernel from recovery without losing my data? I've spent so much time and effort customizing my phone, therefore, I just want to change the kernel. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Nov 29, 2012
Lincoln, NE
I have a noob question, I'm currently using n3bula 3.9 custom rom and it's been running fine for a while. I noticed that users chose the agni kernel whereas I chose the stock one. So my question is, is it possible to flash just the kernel from recovery without losing my data? I've spent so much time and effort customizing my phone, therefore, I just want to change the kernel. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

I would think that as long as it doesn't break anything you should be fine. Probably do a backup first if you're worried about it.

yazalsaidi

Feb 3, 2014
Birmingham
Thanks for the response Michael, however, that was the response I was dreading! I'm actually worried I'll lose my WhatsApp and Viber accounts because even if I backed up my data, I'd still have to register my old WhatsApp and Viber numbers all over again which I don't have anymore.. ??

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yes. Usually every version of android that gets updated.. the kernel does as well

Yes you can flash kernels through a custom recovery. Most of the time they are included with the Rom that you flash. A lot of the custom ones out have flashable zip for you to flash them through a recovery.

No this will NOT work with a AOSP rom.. The kernel will be specific to that ROM and every other TW 4.3 ROM, but NOT AOSP;)