[Q] got it wet

Search This thread

aanti

Feb 8, 2012
hi community,

i went on a trip with my bike, after an hour it started to rain, really heavy rain. as soon as it started i closed the flap for the headphone-jack, and put the device in my trousers pocket. when i arrived at home my trousers were soaking wet. the device turned itself of (short circuit?). every water-indicator turned red, even with closed flaps. i removed SD and SIM, opened all flaps. my device suffers the backplate lifting problem you all propably know about. its still wet on the inside after one night as i can tell from the steamy front and backcamera lenses. some questions:

what can i do in order to get it fully dry ?
when can i try to turn it on ?
in case it is really damaged, is there any way to get some money out of it ?

thanks in advance

Darren_J

May 10, 2014
put it in a bag of rice for about 24/48 hours to see if it fully drys out

Exactly right. Actually I also took off the back plate and put it at the back of my pc... used the fans to blow my Z for a few days cuz I don't usually shut off my pc.
Try turn it on when you feel it's dry inside. Maybe after 24hr if you don't take off the back plate.
If it's eventually dead, sell it for parts. I could use a rear camera ;)

aanti

Feb 8, 2012
it was in a bag of rice for a few days now. tried to turn it on today, nothing. no vibration, no led or any sign of life. connected it to the charger, to the pc, nothing. im pretty sure the water came in to the loose backpanel, so is there a chance they will replace/repair it? or do the red water indicators void all warranty ?

Dsteppa

May 7, 2012
it was in a bag of rice for a few days now. tried to turn it on today, nothing. no vibration, no led or any sign of life. connected it to the charger, to the pc, nothing. im pretty sure the water came in to the loose backpanel, so is there a chance they will replace/repair it? or do the red water indicators void all warranty ?

Oh they might be wanting to repair it, but it will probably cost you the same as a new phone.

aanti

Feb 8, 2012
It's been a while, but i wanted to let you know what happened.
The phone was irreparably damaged and i took it to the vendor where i bought it.
They sent it to sony. In the form i had to fill out i mentioned that the water damage
is a result of the loose backpanel. In the end sony gave a replacement device for free,
i think it took two weeks or so..guess im lucky :)