Flashing How To

Search This thread

jim256

Nov 26, 2007
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=17473

well im changing this because of a request that a lot of people supposedly dont know how to flash. but i dont think that the link was doing anyone much good. so here is what is at the link (right now at least).

THIS IS ONLY FOR THE HTC CDMA TOUCH (VOGUE) !!

i know this first post here is now real long, but READ IT ALL before posting/pm'ing anyone. trust me, you will get through it all...every last word.
(dont get all scared either, this cant ruin your phone. if you are stuck at the htc boot screen, your device is not bricked. if you are stuck at a rainbow/tricolor screen, your phone is not bricked. have faith and patience! )

this method is for a pc running Microsoft Windows XP. if this is not your situation, still continue reading as there are methods for virtually every case.

ive been told that imcokeman's vogue unlocker will not work from a partitioned drive, though im not sure if thats the case.

if you know what flashing/the benefits of flashing are, skip this paragraph; if not, read on. flashing could be likened to installing a different Operating System on your PC. keep in mind, however, that when flashing roms to phones/pdas, the roms ARE DEVICE SPECIFIC. if you find an awesome rom for the titan and LOVE it, but you yourself have a kaiser, forget it. only roms made specifically for your device (and no, even if you have a cdma device, and they make a gsm version of your device, it still will not work) will work for your device. the benefits/advantages of flashing a custom rom onto your device are speed enhancements, addition/removal of programs/settings/reg settings you want or dont want.
now for how to..

for some slight insight on using a Mac, have a look down to the bottom where it says "HERE IS THE BOTTOM" after reading everything else, and/or go here: http://xdaforums.com/show...ighlight=macos

for how to on Vista: look down to the bottom where it says "HERE IS THE BOTTOM" after reading everything else, and/or simply remove any sd cards you might have and follow below directions as normal, and/or go here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=292631

linux users: still read everything here, but have a look down at the bottom where it says "HERE IS THE BOTTOM"

for those who don't know this, flashing your phone also performs the same functions a hard reset would. all your previous apps, contacts, registry tweaks, etc will be gone. also, when you flash someone elses custom rom onto your device, keep in mind that they may have cooked in their own apps and registry tweaks.

ok, go ahead and go to this http://rapidshare.com/files/88767429/RUU.zip.html rapidshare link, and download the ruu.zip there. (if this does not work, navigate to \vogue\users on the ftp, and you should find "RUU.zip" there. if not, go to the folder there titled "jim256-jim2561" and you should find "RUU.zip" there.)

if for some reason you are unable to download the ruu from the above link/location, try my ftp dir here: ftp://up.ppcgeeks.com/Vogue/Users/jim256 - jim2561

download whatever rom image you want

if the rom you download is in nbh format (something.nbh), read on and skip step 7.
if the rom you dowloaded is an exe (something.exe), read on and skip steps 5 and 8 (or use winrar or a similar program to extract the .nbh from the .exe)

then, get imcokeman 's latest vogue unlocker tool.

for those who arent sure, you never have to have ActiveSync synchronized for this to work. you just have to have it connected, with ActiveSync recognizing that the device is there and plugged in.

1. backup all contacts/data/etc..
2. ensure your device is connected to your pc via activesync.
3. run imcokeman 's vogue unlocker and follow ALL instructions in the command prompt exactly .
4. once you have booted back up into wm and are connected to activesync again (dont worry about setting up your device again because you're just going to flash it again and erase all that in a second anyway) extract the ruu.zip to somewhere convenient.
5. (FOLLOW THIS STEP ONLY IF THE ROM YOU DOWNLOADED IS AND NBH) stick the rom you downloaded (should be something.nbh -- if the file extension is NOT NBH, stop; this will get you nowhere. as i stated above, roms are device specific, you cannot install another devices rom to your vogue.) into the RUU folder from the rapidshare/ftp link.
6a. (power-camera reset) press and hold both the camera button and the power button (top), and poke the stylus into the reset hole. you should then be presented with the tricolor screen and near the top you should see something like coke 0.4.0 ( if you do not see the coke 0.4.0, then dont bother trying to flash your device. if it does not say coke 0.4.0, the device is not unlocked, and you need to start at step 3 again).
7. (FOLLOW THIS STEP ONLY IF YHE ROM YOU DOWNLOADED IS AN EXECUTABLE). run the exe!
8. (FOLLOW THIS STEP ONLY IF THE ROM YOU DOWNLOADED IS AN NBH) run ROMUpdateUtility.exe in the ruu folder you downloaded and extracted.
9. follow the steps, be patient, be careful, and whala!
10. thank imcokeman and whoever you downloaded your rom image from.

good luck.

also, for all those that keep asking about this and are worried about this, yes, the version discrepancy is completely normal in the ruu before updating. it just means v1 of the cookers rom, so even if it is a version lower than 1.12.651.1, that is ok.
whenever you flash a custom rom, it says whatever they want it so say in the ruu, so even if it doesnt say 1.12.651.1, that doesnt mean that it is downgraded, it is just the version of the custom rom builders rom.

HERE IS THE BOTTOM
ok, for those vista/mac/linux users, there is another method of flashing., courtesy of pnyce777 in post #42 and on. this method is via the sd card. it is not required that you do step one if your card is already fat32. i will update this post as we gain more knowledge

1. Format your MicroSD card to FAT32 (YES - FAT 32 32 32!! not just plain old FAT) (again, this is not required if your card is already fat32; it is ok to have other data on the card). I have read that the card needs to be 2gb or smaller, though I'm not sure how much truth, if any, there is to that...
2. Extract the .NBH you desire to flash from the exe or zip or w/e put it on the microsd card rename it from RUU_signed.nbh to VOGUIMG.NBH
3.Put the MicroSD card in your phone and Get To the BOOTLOADER screen (camer+power+reset) it should then start updating with the .NBH on the SD card and the procedure should begin automatically.

you can also use this procedure to unlock your phone by flashing the .nbh from Cokemans unlocker just extract it and rename it VOGUIMG.NBH or if your stuck at that HTC screen and cant sync because your phone wont boot up.

i will try to provide support on this as i can, but as i have never used this method myself, pnyce777 is probably a far better resource if he is available and willing.

sorry this is now so long, wasnt supposed to be in the first place. but if you're not already used to a lot of reading, this is a good first step, because you will need to be doing a LOT of reading.

----------------------------------
If I've helped you out, $1 would be more than appreciated! donate. thanks

Last edited:

insol

Aug 22, 2007
Jim, great how to. As a noob, I have a qstn about different carriers. I just got a VZ touch and want to know which roms are best to use with which carrier? Some roms seem carrier specific... others seem like they will work on anything. How do you tell whats wat? I have been waiting for someone to post a ROM specifically for VZW, but I haven't found it yet.

It might also be helpful to add a glossary. Like I have read how some folks have taken a sprint kitchen moved it to a new directory (?) and merged it to make a verizon kitchen. With that people have flashed their VZ phones but it doesn't seem like something a noob should try

jim256

Nov 26, 2007
thanks for the gudie dude ;)

no problem ;) :)

Jim, great how to. As a noob, I have a qstn about different carriers. I just got a VZ touch and want to know which roms are best to use with which carrier? Some roms seem carrier specific... others seem like they will work on anything. How do you tell whats wat? I have been waiting for someone to post a ROM specifically for VZW, but I haven't found it yet.

It might also be helpful to add a glossary. Like I have read how some folks have taken a sprint kitchen moved it to a new directory (?) and merged it to make a verizon kitchen. With that people have flashed their VZ phones but it doesn't seem like something a noob should try

ok. so as for different roms saying they are for different carriers, they are most likely just referring to having the different directories (/folders) for the carriers. so what that means is that a sprint rom would actually work just fine for you, but it may have things like sprint tv or on demand on the cube or other places. it will still function just fine and everything though. it would probably look a little different than the stock vzw rom (im not sure really how it looks) and such. the only way that you could get screwed having the wrong rom for your carrier is if you were flashing the radio as well. but since you're not (in most cases), it doesnt matter really. just be sure to check the roms threads about whether they include a radio or not.

as for the glossary thing, that is probably a great idea. thanks for the tip i will get working on that.

so what you will need to do is:

1) download a kitchen: set of tools for creating/editing roms. dcd just finished his vogue kitchen; available here on xda in this vogue upgrading subforum. there is also lattisimo's older vogue kitchen available on the ftp site over at ppc geeks ("qlinks" at top of page, ftp upload/download, vogue -> users -> lattisimo? (i think?)).
2) download a verizon titan/mogul/ppc 6800 kitchen from somewhere, look in the "sys" folder contained therein, and copy the "carrier vzw" or "verizon" or "carrier customizations - verizon" folder (it will be something like that) into the "sys" folder of the vogue kitchen you have downloaded.
3) delete whichever other carrier customization was already in that folder (such as alltell or sprint or bell etc..)
4) run "buldit.bat" or "buildnb.bat" (or something similar) and flash your new rom that will be located in the "ruu" folder after the batch file (xxx.bat) is finished!

feel free to ask any more questions if that wasnt too clear (sorry :S) .

good luck!

insol

Aug 22, 2007
ok. so as for different roms saying they are for different carriers, they are most likely just referring to having the different directories (/folders) for the carriers. so what that means is that a sprint rom would actually work just fine for you, but it may have things like sprint tv or on demand on the cube or other places. it will still function just fine and everything though. it would probably look a little different than the stock vzw rom (im not sure really how it looks) and such. the only way that you could get screwed having the wrong rom for your carrier is if you were flashing the radio as well. but since you're not (in most cases), it doesnt matter really. just be sure to check the roms threads about whether they include a radio or not.

so what you will need to do [for verizon] is:

1) download a kitchen: set of tools for creating/editing roms. dcd just finished his vogue kitchen; available here on xda in this vogue upgrading subforum. there is also lattisimo's older vogue kitchen available on the ftp site over at ppc geeks ("qlinks" at top of page, ftp upload/download, vogue -> users -> lattisimo? (i think?)).
2) download a verizon titan/mogul/ppc 6800 kitchen from somewhere, look in the "sys" folder contained therein, and copy the "carrier vzw" or "verizon" or "carrier customizations - verizon" folder (it will be something like that) into the "sys" folder of the vogue kitchen you have downloaded.
3) delete whichever other carrier customization was already in that folder (such as alltell or sprint or bell etc..)
4) run "buldit.bat" or "buildnb.bat" (or something similar) and flash your new rom that will be located in the "ruu" folder after the batch file (xxx.bat) is finished!

feel free to ask any more questions if that wasnt too clear (sorry :S) .

good luck!

This is great! I will also post it over on PPCgeeks. Huge help for me to get started and hits right at the real bricking fear... if the radio is not in the user-made custom ROM it seems safe... and avoid OEM carrier ROM unless it is for your carrier.

jim256

Nov 26, 2007
This is great! I will also post it over on PPCgeeks. Huge help for me to get started and hits right at the real bricking fear... if the radio is not in the user-made custom ROM it seems safe... and avoid OEM carrier ROM unless it is for your carrier.

yep exactly good deal :)

Grondinm

Feb 18, 2008
Moncton
Thank you for the great guide. flashed my rom for the first(and probably not the last) time last night.

Last edited:
May 7, 2007
i have a sprint vogue and want to use it for verizon, can someone make me a rom that i can just flash and have it working for verizon? if so thanks, if not can you please tell me what i need to do, thanks!

jim256

Nov 26, 2007
well it is over at ppcgeeks...

but this isnt the most updated copy though..

thx tho, glad it could help ya

TheChampJT

Feb 7, 2008
i have a sprint vogue and want to use it for verizon, can someone make me a rom that i can just flash and have it working for verizon? if so thanks, if not can you please tell me what i need to do, thanks!

You can't just "make" a ROM for a different carrier. The phone itself won't work because it's registered for one comapny.