[GT-P6210][KERNEL][UV/OC]garyd9's GT-P6210 kernel (updated 2012-01-23)

Search This thread

mike216

Nov 12, 2010
cleveland
Well your kernel is light years ahead of what Samsung left us stock. I know you used there source to improve it but stock responsiveness sucked.After flashing your kernel the first thing I thought was, why couldn't they have it functioning like this?
The point being that I have a hunch you can get it even if Samsung is struggling

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Gazorninplat

Sep 8, 2009
Edmonton
LB2 is 2012, Feb (so it's later than LA3)

Thanks! Dang! Maybe I'll install an older firmware version like KL1 or KL3. Not sure if it's the firmware, but the battery life is definitely less than what I was expecting after reading the reviews for the 7+.

However, LB2 firmware isn't available on the Official Firmwares thread yet. Can I use ODIN tool to make my own flashable backup of LB2 before I try to install an older firmware?

I also have a 7+ that doesn't have the IR port.

Thanks!

Jason

ikeny

Feb 18, 2011
\
However, LB2 firmware isn't available on the Official Firmwares thread yet. Can I use ODIN tool to make my own flashable backup of LB2 before I try to install an older firmware?

I also have a 7+ that doesn't have the IR port.

Thanks!

Jason

I asked the same question here, and got no response. It doesn't seem like it can be done.

Don't you hate it when Samsung came up with all these different variants of the same model? I'm considering returning mine, and order one from the US (with IR blaster even though I'll never use the IR app).

garyd9

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Has anyone used this and also the OMGBBQROM Final Release? I wondered how the two compare...
They don't compare. What I've done is a kernel replacement, not a firmware replacement. The other is a firmware replacement, not a kernel replacement.

The kernel is mostly invisible, while the firmware is VERY visible:

Kernel: processor control, low level sound routines, low level networking, clocking, charging, etc..

Firmware: the entire user interface and built in applications

Put another way: If you buy a house with property, the land and house's foundation could be considered the kernel, while the house structure itself would be the firmware.

bittersound

Sep 7, 2011
Surrey, near London
sorry, could you dumb that down a bit more for me please?

Is special firmware required to sit on top of your new kernel? I assume that custom firmware should be able to sit on any kernel (with caveats for features added or missing)?

cheers!

bdds13

Aug 28, 2011
Mexico City
The problem is that my OMGBBQROM (Custom firmware) is based on LA3 firmware. This kernel was created with older firmware versions in mind (such as KL2). If you install this firmware with OMGBBQROM, it will disable wifi and you won't be able to use it. The good news is that I'm currently trying to create a rom (or custom firmware) that will be compatible with this kernel.

Reactions: bittersound

ColMustard

Jan 28, 2012
North of Boston, MA
Gary is there any way you could add Voodoo Sound support to the kernel? Supercurio has added support for the 7+ to the software but we need a kernel that supports it.

It appears to be working fine with Gary's Kernel. I just installed it this morning and the only thing I did noticed is the notification sound when triggered, resets the volume level. Not sure this is related to G's Kernel or is an overall issue with the app.

Ceelos09

Apr 18, 2011
Voodoo Louder is a paid app though... :confused:

I'm assuming that if Supercurio gives the ok, he will give us a free "slimmed down" version of it. Kind of how he did with Voodoo Control.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:

locerra

Aug 18, 2010
Seattle
Hey Gary,

Thanks for your work. I've included some of your changes in our cm9 kernel (hope you don't mind, I gave you proper credit). FYI, samsung released an update1 for the p6210, and 3 of your changes made there way into their kernel (verbatim, other than a typo in one your comments).

Q: Can you make a kernel for the GT-P6200, GT-P6200L, or SGH-T869?
A: I probably could if I had the hardware to test with. Without a sample of hardware, I can't even begin to guess if what I've done already will work, or what it might take to make it work. If you really want me to do one of those devices, please feel free to send me one. (Making a recovery kernel is quite a bit easier as it doesn't have to work with the ethernet, sound, modem or any other drivers.)

garyd9

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks for your work. I've included some of your changes in our cm9 kernel (hope you don't mind, I gave you proper credit). FYI, samsung released an update1 for the p6210, and 3 of your changes made there way into their kernel (verbatim, other than a typo in one your comments).
Unlike samsung, I'm happy to share my work with others. Actually, I'm flattered that others would use my efforts. Many of my changes are derived from others (who I've tried to give credit to.) That's what makes this a great platform: OPEN SOURCE.

I wonder if it would be compatible with the GPL if I added a condition to my changes: May not be used in closed-source platforms.

Gary

Reactions: mike216

nrage23

Last edited:

jancilo

Nov 5, 2008
Taranto
Q: Can you make a kernel for the GT-P6200, GT-P6200L, or SGH-T869?
A: I probably could if I had the hardware to test with. Without a sample of hardware, I can't even begin to guess if what I've done already will work, or what it might take to make it work. If you really want me to do one of those devices, please feel free to send me one. (Making a recovery kernel is quite a bit easier as it doesn't have to work with the ethernet, sound, modem or any other drivers.)

thanks a lot
can you explain me how can i do this?
or if you have a guide...
Sorry for my english :eek:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I am not installing this kernel on your device. I've even gone out of my way to not give clear directions on how to install it yourself. If you decide to install this kernel, you are assuming all risks involved with it.

WARNING: THIS KERNEL IS NOT FULLY COMPATIBLE WITH THE LA3 FIRMWARE UPDATE. USING THIS KERNEL WITH THE UPDATED VERSION WILL RESULT IN WIRELESS ETHERNET BEING DISABLED.

Welcome to my custom compiled kernel for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 (wifi only.) This kernel will ONLY work for the GT-P6210 model.

The kernel should be compatible with any stock firmware or anything custom that's derived from the stock firmware. (I refuse to call it a ROM. It's not Read Only.)

First, proper credit should go to Entropy512 and his SGH-i777 kernels. It's from that work I was inspired to do this, and from that work where I'm pulling ideas and changes (when compatible.) I'd give some credit to Samsung, but they only bothered to post partial source code, and didn't even bother to post it with the proper config flags.

The idea behind this kernel is and will be to make the device more efficient. Longer battery life while running more smoothly is a Good Thing. I don't care about benchmark scores. In case someone missed that, I DO NOT CARE ABOUT BENCHMARK SCORES. Anyone can tweak a system to get a better benchmark, but that doesn't mean it'll actually work better. Concern #1 is and should always be stability. While some tweaks will be added that allow a user to make the system unstable, they won't be the default.

Differences from stock currently include:
    • Very slight speed increase in bootup, possibly in other areas
    • Support for init.d script parsing on bootup
    • A real busybox (with proper links) installed to /sbin (and therefore available to the system)
    • Undervolting and minor overclocking support (via SetCPU)
    • android ram_console support (useful for post-mortem of crashes.)
    • standard boot animation support
    • quicker charging with iphone chargers
    Voltage and Clock Adjustments:
    If you choose to tinker with the processor voltages and/or clock speeds, there will be no support in this thread. None. Yes, I'm using it myself, but I won't even support myself if I screw things up. If you find an issue with this kernel, BEFORE you post about it here, re-test after reverting all the voltage and clock speeds back to default. If it works with the default clocks/voltages, then don't waste your time or mine by posting about it to this thread. It's not supported. You can destroy your tablet by messing with the voltages and clocks.

You'll need a separate tool for voltage and clock adjustments. The one I see most frequently used is "SetCPU" (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=505419.) I'm in no way affiliated with the author of that tool. You should be warned that SetCPU does not seem to be fully compatible with our tablets: There seems to be no way to bring up the menu in the program. If the program is "honeycomb compatible", this is likely due to the author making assumptions about screen dimensions on tablet devices (fairly common error.) Don't tell me about it. It's not my program.

ToDo:
    • Find source for the ethernet module and replace it (which will also allow adding more generic optimizations to the kernel.)
    • ethernet adhoc support (not really kernel specific, but not possible without the ethernet module...)
    • Figure out what samsung changed in the LA3 kernel (and didn't publish) so I can get the kernel working with the firmware update.
    Known Issues:
    • Probably not compatible with stock firmware updates. (won't fix.)
    • NOT COMPATIBLE WITH LA3 FIRMWARE UPDATE!!
    Flashing Instructions:
    This is being released as an installable "update.zip" style installer. Stick the .zip file on your device, reboot into recovery, and install it from there. If this isn't enough information, please search and read the forums before changing your device kernel. (Flashing a .zip in recovery is a very basic skill that should be mastered early.)

Firmware Developers:
    If you want to use it, please link to this thread and give clear indication of which version of the kernel you are including.

Legal:
    This is based on the linux kernel, and therefore I'm including links to the modified source for the kernel (https://github.com/garyd9/linux_kernel_GT-P6210) and contents of initramfs (https://github.com/garyd9/initramfs_normal_GT-P6210)

PLEASE DO NOT MIRROR THE DOWNLOADS. IF YOU WANT TO REFERENCE THE KERNELS, PLEASE ONLY LINK TO THIS THREAD.
    Change Log

20120128:

• Support for iphone charger detection - pull up to 750mA from detected iphone chargers (1500mA from the samsung charger, and 500mA from everything else including a computer USB port.)
    • Testing USB "high current" charging. This is currently not enabled by default (and until I'm happy that it's stable and safe, I won't be documenting it.)
    20120123: (actually posted on the 24th)

• Minor adjustments related to the MMC and SD card interfaces (which includes the wifi interface)
    • Starting to pull in mainline kernel fixes (including fixes for some kernel panics/reboots.)
    20120107:

• disable mali state tracking. Doesn't seem to have any actual impact, but should reduce a small amount of overhead
    • add support for "reboot bootloader." Actually, the support was already there if the command sent to reboot was "download", but several android tools (such as "Quick Boot") want to send the command as "bootloader." This is only useful if you have a desire to reboot your device into "Download Mode" (aka "ODIN mode")
    • Replaced samsung j4fs.ko binary module with one built from sources. No impact other than easier to maintain.
    20120105:
    • added standard bootanimation support (if bootanimation.zip is found in /system/media, it's used. Otherwise, the default samsung animation is used. Standard samsung music is played either way.)
    • It's now possible to tweak the conservative governor sampling rate down to 50,000 (default is still 100,000.) If done, this may make the tablet more responsive in some situations (however, there may also be a negative impact to battery life - everything is a trade-off.)
    20120102:
    • added android ram_console support. After installing this kernel, if you reboot/crash, it should leave a file in /proc called "last_kmsg" that will show the last several kernel messages from before the reboot/crash.
    20120101:
    • undervolting and overclocking support (only up to 1.4GHz)
    If you decide that you want to overclock or undervolt your tablet, you are 100% on your own. You can easily fry your tablet's processor by messing with voltages and clock speeds. If you have issues with this kernel, remove all overclocking and voltage adjustments before you even bother posting on this thread.
    • Use "SetCPU" to change voltages, clocks, and governors. SetCPU can be found on the market and on XDA at the following link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=505419 (I am in no way affiliated with the author of that program.)
    20111231 (initial release):
    • build compatible with stock ar6000.ko module
    • init.d script support
    • busybox in /sbin
    • cleanup of kernel config to remove excess debugging (when possible)
    Weekend update. There might not be any more kernel updates for a week (unless there's something critical to do) as I want to spend time time trying to completely replace samsung's ethernet module...

20120107:

• disable mali state tracking. Doesn't seem to have any actual impact, but should reduce a small amount of overhead
    • add support for "reboot bootloader." Actually, the support was already there if the command sent to reboot was "download", but several android tools (such as "Quick Boot") want to send the command as "bootloader." This is only useful if you have a desire to reboot your device into "Download Mode" (aka "ODIN mode")
    • Replaced samsung j4fs.ko binary module with one built from sources. No impact other than easier to maintain.
    updated...

20120105:
    • added standard bootanimation support (if bootanimation.zip is found in /system/media, it's used. Otherwise, the default samsung animation is used. Standard samsung music is played either way.)
    • It's now possible to tweak the conservative governor sampling rate down to 50,000 (default is still 100,000.) If done, this may make the tablet more responsive in some situations (however, there may also be a negative impact to battery life - everything is a trade-off.)
    (I'll be posting a sample boot animation in another post.)
    new version:

20120101:

• undervolting and overclocking support (only up to 1.4GHz)
    If you decide that you want to overclock or undervolt your tablet, you are 100% on your own. You can easily fry your tablet's processor by messing with voltages and clock speeds. If you have issues with this kernel, remove all overclocking and voltage adjustments before you even bother posting on this thread.
    • Use "SetCPU" to change voltages, clocks, and governors. SetCPU can be found on the market and on XDA at the following link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=505419 (I am in no way affiliated with the author of that program.)