USB devices not being recognized by tablet

Search This thread

elsamuraiguapo

Nov 1, 2013
California
Hello everyone, I just recently got this the 2014 note 10.1 tablet as my first Android device/tablet after much research. I've been liking the device so far and everything it can do compared to my iPhone, but I'm having difficulties getting USB devices to work.

I purchased an OTG adapter from Amazon, and when I connect it to the tablet I get a message on my tablet that reads "USB Connector detected," however, any USB device that I've tried to plug in so far won't be detected by the tablet. I first tried my 32GB flash drive and the moment I connect it the flash drive's indicator light would light up for an instant and then disappear. The next thing I tried was a USB mouse and nothing happened. Then I tried a large external HDD I have (USB powered) and when I plugged it in to the OTG adapter it would actually power the device on, but the tablet wouldn't recognize it. Lastly I tried a USB xbox 360 controller (which is actually the most important thing I want to get working on the tablet, so that I can play emulators) and just like the flash drive, the indicator light on the controller lights up for a split-second and then disappears the moment I plug it in.

Do you know if this is just some kind of a software problem with these new tablets? Are you all able to get your USB devices to work fine out of the box on your 2014 10.1? Or perhaps do you think I have some kind of defected hardware (e.g. the OTG cable or even the tablet itself).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

wildcard30

Jan 5, 2012
Racine, WI
I used an OTG with a 32GB flash drive with mine the other day and watched some videos without issue but the drive is formatted fat32.

elsamuraiguapo

Nov 1, 2013
California
call edgepsh

I've of course tried restarting the tablet many times, plugging the OTG cable and the USB device in first before restarting, etc. but to no avail.

I'm not sure how the flash drive I tried to use is formatted, but I also tried a USB mouse and a Xbox 360 controller. Those devices should just work out of the box am I right?

Arun01

Feb 6, 2011
Wow I used to restart my old 10.1 & it would work. The new 10.1 seems to be plagued with problems.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

nrage23

Wow I used to restart my old 10.1 & it would work. The new 10.1 seems to be plagued with problems.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

Not sure what you mean by plagued with problems. Out of the box it was bit laggy but after the updates it is a very good tablet. I have been lucky as I do not have any build quality issues but all tablets seem to have those at first.

elsamuraiguapo

Nov 1, 2013
California

Attachments

• 2013-11-11-12-56-05.jpg
    2013-11-11-12-56-05.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 1,038

Vol4Ever

Jan 22, 2012
Piperton, TN
I have been pulling my hair out with this. The OTG works fine with my S3, but I cannot get it to work correctly with the Note 10.1. Do you have last year's model or the new 2014? My S3 is rooted but my tablet is not. Does that matter? FYI I'm wanting to use a wired X360 (Microsoft version, not third party) controller to play games on the epsxe Playstation emulator. I also have the pay version of USB/BT Joystick Pro from the app store. It correctly identifies the controller model and it can be enabled as an input device. Then it does NOT show up as selectable inside the game itself. I thought it might be the emulator software, but again the same setup works fine on the phone. I'm stuck. :(

Last edited:

rodrix

Dec 16, 2008
Chapinlandia
I have been pulling my hair out with this. The OTG works fine with my S3, but I cannot get it to work correctly with the Note 10.1. Do you have last year's model or the new 2014? My S3 is rooted but my tablet is not. Does that matter? FYI I'm wanting to use a wired X360 (Microsoft version, not third party) controller to play games on the epsxe Playstation emulator. I also have the pay version of USB/BT Joystick Pro from the app store. It correctly identifies the controller model and it can be enabled as an input device. Then it does NOT show up as selectable inside the game itself. I thought it might be the emulator software, but again the same setup works fine on the phone. I'm stuck. :(

Did you get it to work? I have the exact same problem.