Automatic Closing of running programs

Search This thread

rontess

Aug 1, 2004
Correct me if I'm wrong. From the readings I have made , WM5 works by not closing the programs launched and keeps on working in the background even after closing the program (tapping the x button on the right upper hand). The only way to close this program completely and to free the memory is by stopping the program using the running program window. It is then that you free the memory. Unlike 2003SE once you close the program it also frees the memory.

This makes it a problem for WM5, because I notice that if you open a lot of program, eventually you loose memory and cannot run other program , not until closing all those previously opened programs using therunning program window.

I was wondering if there are any program/registry hack/patch to go around this problem.
Thanks

krale

Apr 12, 2006
There are many programs that turn the x into a permanent close, instead of just minimize. I use Wisbar Advance Desktop but that is a full Today Screen replacement program. If you press the x it minimizes, if you press x and hold, it closes.

There are tons of other programs... do some searching.

dannyoneill

Aug 16, 2006
It shouldnt be a problem. Too many people think of WM5 as Windows XP. When your memory is low you need to close thigns. This is not the case.

As you quite rightly say when memory gets low WM5 should close the oldest app to free up the required memory, the reason it leaves things open is to keep things fast. When you need memory, it just closes something.

I use mine for TomTom as well as memory hungry push email and my memoy always has at least 10mb free and I have never run out. If the device is running slow its normally down to a particualr app using all the processor. Skype for example which can be closed with the exit command in its menu.

Unless your having particular problems I say let it be. Closing apps each time is a pain and a waste of time.

J.Walker

Apr 24, 2006
Saint-Petersburg
Magic button lets you to define what to close and what to keep alive. I'm set to keep alive mesaging and some other applcations to get ot on faster and to closу other.

raduci

Aug 6, 2005
Ok button = close app

I have tried various app but none gave me what I want: when I press the hardware button ok or for example the red button (end call) to close the active window without the use of the touchscreen. Does anybody knows an app whick behaves like this ?

raymonds

Jul 24, 2006
spb pocketplus (not free) also has this capacity, and with it you can map the "close all" or "close" to a button. you may also define exceptions for this (applications that do not close even if you choose "close" or "close all").