[Q]Smooth the edges

Search This thread

jakeneal22

Jul 12, 2010
Ok so I love android and all of it's openness and mods. I like to modify all electronics that I have. But the only problem I have with it is that it isn't smooth. I have had an iPhone in the past and it was smooth. It just confuses me how 1ghz can lag on a mobile os. I guess this rant is to ask how do I smooth the edges. I've tried many roms and some were better than others. One major thing I want is when I unlock it, when I slide homescreen, and when I open the app drawer to be smooth. Any ideas settings roms?

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
Read through a lot of threads, and understand that there isn't what you're looking for. You might try MIUI, people report it as smooth - never tried it personally. Also, for launcher use LauncherPro, it's smooth.
About the gigahertz stuff: CPU speed doesn't matter as much as SW does. And there is no "smoothness support" yet.
Android isn't smooth. It's powerful, though. Personally, I like the trade off.

ohgood

Aug 8, 2009
Birmingham
Ok so I love android and all of it's openness and mods. I like to modify all electronics that I have. But the only problem I have with it is that it isn't smooth. I have had an iPhone in the past and it was smooth. It just confuses me how 1ghz can lag on a mobile os. I guess this rant is to ask how do I smooth the edges. I've tried many roms and some were better than others. One major thing I want is when I unlock it, when I slide homescreen, and when I open the app drawer to be smooth. Any ideas settings roms?

delete all your apps, turn off all services, and it will run just like the iphone. kill every app after you use it. - that's what the iphone does.

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
You can tweak the internal task killer to speed up your phone. It takes some work and testing. This thread has the directions and explanations.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=622666

Geo411m's ROM has these tweaks built in and they work really well.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=7008637&highlight=internal+task+killer#post7008637

This has been useless since Froyo. As I once researched and posted, Froyo kills the processes much earlier than Eclair (OOM=12 instead of 16) and considering the amount of memory on Nexus - you never get anywhere below 100MB free unless you run a super-heavy app, and those never stay in background.
Now these tweaks don't do a thing.

jakeneal22

Jul 12, 2010
does power mean smoothness? I just don't get the concept of having a fast processor and not being smooth. I mean it is almost the same speed as my netbook... on a phone. It seems like that should be smooth. Maybe I'm asking for to much. But another thing I have seen videos of people on cyanogen and it is running smoothly with a live wallpaper. I have never got cyanogen to run smoothly for me even with a still wallpaper. Is there some magical setting everyone but me knows about?
Read through a lot of threads, and understand that there isn't what you're looking for. You might try MIUI, people report it as smooth - never tried it personally. Also, for launcher use LauncherPro, it's smooth.
About the gigahertz stuff: CPU speed doesn't matter as much as SW does. And there is no "smoothness support" yet.
Android isn't smooth. It's powerful, though. Personally, I like the trade off.

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
Power = ability to do things. Not CPU power, OS power.
Smoothness = frame rate of transitions between screens in UI. By most part, it's a result of heavy GPU utilization (which Android doesn't do stock) and programming that puts graphics as top priority (which isn't the case with Android). When CPU is made busy making beautiful graphics, it makes beautiful graphics. When it's not the main concern - it makes what it makes.

Again, you seem to be complaining about the launcher - otherwise you wouldn't bring this live wallpaper thing. So go download LauncherPro.

tameracingdriver

Jul 5, 2010
Newcastle
Folks go on about miui being smooth but personally I found it quite choppy at times, and this was most evident using the miui default launcher and comparing to say an iPhone 4, it looks very stuttery. Its better with launcherpro, but then you've lost half the reason for using it.

I am using cm6 and a theme (minimal matte fwiw ) and its very smooth and nice looking (and believe me I am very sensitive to, and loathe slow performance on a latest Gen phone).

Best compromise I've found yet on android.

SBS_

Jul 13, 2007
Bergen
I use the latest CM6 nightlies with Launcher Pro Plus and have a lot of widgets on my homescreen, smooth as butter.

I do remember the homescreen being a bit choppy when I ran 2.1 on my N1 though...

jakeneal22

Jul 12, 2010
Have you messed with the performance settings? I hear that switching the performance setting to 24 instead of 34 helps. I'm not on cyanogen right now so I don't remember the exact setting but it is cyan settings then performance.
I use the latest CM6 nightlies with Launcher Pro Plus and have a lot of widgets on my homescreen, smooth as butter.

I do remember the homescreen being a bit choppy when I ran 2.1 on my N1 though...

Dai323

Nov 28, 2009
Cologne Germany
www.couporando.co.uk
Truth of the matter is, is that Android running as SMOOTH as an iPhone would be difficult, simply because the IOS operating system doesnt allow any applications to run in the background. Android has TONS of apps that run in the background, and its still smooth as hell if your running the right ROM.

In all honestly, as much as I LOVE enomther and cyan ROMS, MIUI is hands down the smoothest and fastest ROM I have ever used. Give it a shot. I promise that if you can get past the iPhonish look, you will LOVE the speed and fluidness of the ROM. I cant recommend it enough.

jakeneal22

Jul 12, 2010
I have used the miui roms and they are awesome. But honestly I just feel like a sell out while running them.

jakeneal22

Jul 12, 2010
Possibly I don't know. Do you suggest a bundle or do you suggest the original with langauge packs

Forge94

Dec 19, 2009
The reason why even iPhone 3G's can feel "smoother" than Android phones at most times: hardware acceleration.
Ever since the 2G they've had a dedicated GPU which was used to its fullest in basic UI interactions. We see phones like the SGS with freak GPUs but Android doesn't allow full use of them.

Phandroid made that article on a supposed "Gingerbread" leak. They claim it will introduce hardware acceleration. Hopefully thats true and we'll never hear complaints about a laggy UI again!

mjm128

Jun 9, 2010
The reason why even iPhone 3G's can feel "smoother" than Android phones at most times: hardware acceleration.
Ever since the 2G they've had a dedicated GPU which was used to its fullest in basic UI interactions. We see phones like the SGS with freak GPUs but Android doesn't allow full use of them.

Phandroid made that article on a supposed "Gingerbread" leak. They claim it will introduce hardware acceleration. Hopefully thats true and we'll never hear complaints about a laggy UI again!

Yup, most of the smoothness complaints is just hardware acceleration complaints. After gingerbread if it has hardware acceleration, we won't hear the laggy UI issue, we'll just hear the bandwagon "Fragmentation!"

jakeneal22

Jul 12, 2010
I've finally got a smooth handset. I'm on latest cyanogen with intersect raven kernel overclocked to 1333. I'm very impressed and I'm finally enjoying this phone. Btw I'm using launcher pro to