Block BN OTA Updates the EASY way!!!

Search This thread

RootNewbie

Jan 20, 2011
First, I'm sorry if this is posted somewhere already. I spent numerous hours trying to block OTA updates following a post under Android Development... Link to post.

Having played with adb for hours and not being able to get sqlite working in cmd. I tried browsing to the file the script in the above post appeared to be editing with Root Explorer. To my surprise, when you click on the devicemanager.db file, Root Explorer gives you an option to buy SQLite Editor. Which I did.

Required Apps:
- Root Explorer (in market)
- SQLite Editor (in market)

Process:
1. Open Root Explorer
2. Open devicemanager.db from (/data/data/com.bn.devicemanager/databases/devicemanager.db)
3. Select "registry" - this should open up a spreadsheet looking file
4. Find row: com.bn.device.fota.mode
5. Drag over to the column labeled "value"
6. Press and hold "auto" until the "Actions" window pops up
7. Select "Edit Field"
8. Replace auto with manual
9. Select "Save"

Assuming this is what the scripts are doing, your nook color should now be blocking BN OTA updates. The best part is that you can do all of this from your nook color. :) Hope this helps!

RootNewbie

Jan 20, 2011
Really? Or push a modified build.prop, done... *shrug*

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still a beginner. I thought I read threads where people were still getting the OTA update after editing/replacing the build.prop ... Plus, what happens when BN decides to release a new update? You would then have to change the build.prop again? Editing the registry value should prevent the device from ever checking for new updates. Seems like a cleaner fix to me.

Reactions: MattZTexasu

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still a beginner. I thought I read threads where people were still getting the OTA update after editing/replacing the build.prop ... Plus, what happens when BN decides to release a new update? You would then have to change the build.prop again? Editing the registry value should prevent the device from ever checking for new updates. Seems like a cleaner fix to me.

Nobody I'm aware of, including my two NC's. Perhaps you're confusing updating the build.prop with renaming the otacerts file?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=930382

JF-WS6

Jan 25, 2011
First, I'm sorry if this is posted somewhere already. I spent numerous hours trying to block OTA updates following a post under Android Development... Link to post.

Having played with adb for hours and not being able to get sqlite working in cmd. I tried browsing to the file the script in the above post appeared to be editing with Root Explorer. To my surprise, when you click on the devicemanager.db file, Root Explorer gives you an option to buy SQLite Editor. Which I did.

Required Apps:

Process:
1. Open Root Explorer
2. Open devicemanager.db from (/data/data/com.bn.devicemanager/databases/devicemanager.db)
7. Select "Edit Field"
9. Select "Save"

Assuming this is what the scripts are doing, your nook color should now be blocking BN OTA updates. The best part is that you can do all of this from your nook color. :) Hope this helps!

Thanks for posting this. I'm sure it will help someone out. It would have been me a week or two ago. I was trying to figure out how to change this value to avoid the OTA and really didnt understand ADB, SDK, Sqlite or any of that then. when i first opened Root explorer i remember it asking me if i would like to purchase it and i declined, now if i only would have known how easy it could have been.

redking79

Oct 12, 2008

I agree. Changing the setting in devicemanager.db is A LOT cleaner than the build.prop fix.

Leumas63

Feb 15, 2011
Slightly off-topic: I made this change (in devicemanager.db) to disable B&N updates. Whilst in the database, I noticed a table called Tasks that has 5 entries with types 100, 101, 102, 3, 2. The types 100 & 2 are tagged as enabled, the others are disabled. They have a date_next_run column. I imagine this is some kind of scheduling. I haven't worked out the date format. Does anyone know what these tasks will do - I would imagine one of them forces a B&N update?

Last edited:

crispian

Jul 7, 2007
Process:
1. Open Root Explorer
7. Select "Edit Field"
9. Select "Save"

Thank you for this- It's nice to find a nice, easy, self-contained way to ensure my NC will stay the way I have set it up 'til I decide otherwise.

One question though- to make it stick shouldn't there be one more step-
10. Reboot?

DBS_FamilyDoc

Dec 26, 2010
Block OTA updates

Xboxexpert has posted a bat file for download in a zip file Block updates.zip. Has anyone used this?

I need instructions regarding running the bat file.

Do I load the contents of the zip file on my SD card or do I open a command prompt box?

What do I do to run this bat file?

Thank you.

Dec 2, 2010
Wow this is an awesome find. Can anyone verify that this did indeed work for them? I have my rooted NC running 1.1 smoothly with all apps running perfectly. My final task is to stop OTA's from triggering. I don't feel confident doing this via ADB but using this method on the NC seems easy. Does this sound the same thing as the bat file does from the other thread? Thank you all for your amazing help!

wrenchneck

Mar 7, 2011
I have been through this 4 times so far and have been unable to get it to stick. I have backed up the rom after installing sqllite and root explorer, modded the registry, rebooted and still getting the damn OTA. Anyone else having this issue or has figured out if there is another entry that needs to be edited to defeat this?

wrenchneck

Mar 7, 2011
Nm, I edited the url that the fota uses to check for updates so it is "dead"
backedup the rom again and have yet to see fota from BN. *fingers crossed as this is annoying*

****NM this didnt work either****

Last edited:

wrenchneck

Mar 7, 2011
Thanks khaytsus! I do believe that has done the trick. I went ahead and edited the build.prop versus pushing it but we will see how it fairs now that i have hit wifi back on

giedrys

Mar 12, 2006
Does this method still works to prevent 1.2 ota update? it surely looks the easiest method of all.

Yes or no?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Required Apps:

Process:
    1. Open Root Explorer
    7. Select "Edit Field"
    9. Select "Save"

Really? Or push a modified build.prop, done... *shrug*