[UPG]Hard-SPL Unlocker or how I learned to stop worrying and love the MPU

Search This thread

OliNex

Apr 23, 2008
[size=+1]Greetings From the Diamond Elite Project Team (currently only Olipro and Cmonex, so, any other skilled devs wanted - please PM Olipro and/or Cmonex, don't PM this account, we rarely check it)[/size]

We are proud to announce the release of Hard-SPL for *ALL* Diamond devices, overcoming the new MPU protection on the device.

[size=+2]NOTE: This is NOT a SIM unlocker - it also doesn't unlock Security for other radios. if you need that, GO HERE[/size]

As an added feature, the Hard-SPL requires signed code even after flashing... we chose to do this for several reasons.

1) safety... we will begin releasing all available Diamond resources re-signed with our certificate, this means you don't need to worry about flashing something incompatible, if it's something bad, we won't sign it.

2) reliability; If you want something signed, just ask, we will be able to verify that it's not going to be something that breaks the device, as has been the case with the Elf ROM disaster.

We'll be releasing a developer edition in the future; we will continue to maintain the signed SPL as this is quite nice for total and utter noobs afraid of bricking their device.

Flash this now, [size=+2]Go to our separate thread listing Supported ROMs for ROMs you can flash[/size] ;)

[size=+2]Installation Instructions:[/size]

1) Download, extract to an empty folder.
2) Run RomUpdateUtility.exe, Have Phone Synced with PC in Windows Mobile
3) follow steps, check device for prompts after PC shows loading bar.
4) SPL flashes, job done.

Anyone having problems with the device entering SSPL automatically, please copy SSPLManual.exe to the device and run it. then once the screen is black, run RUU manually.

IMPORTANT NOTES:
1. do not try to use this SSPL to flash anything else other than an SPL file. it explicitly blocks other flashes anyway. SSPL is *never* a good way to flash OS images
2. INSTALLING THIS WILL HARD-RESET THE DEVICE

Thanks to Walshieau for a **** load of testing!

All Project Donations gratefully accepted

INSTALLING THIS WILL HARD-RESET THE DEVICE

TROUBLESHOOTING TIPS:
- read the instructions.
- read the instructions.
- read the instructions.
- Anyone having problems with the device entering SSPL automatically (your device doesn't even go to black screen), please copy SSPLManual.exe to the device and run it. then once the screen is black, run RUU manually (you run the RUU on the PC, if it isn't obvious).
- if you get connection error in RUU after the device goes to black screen, then try a different USB port, also do not use USB hub, you can also try rebooting your PC, and can try using another PC. read the thread for even more tips that I don't remember now. also you can try unticking advanced network functionality in start menu / settings / connections / usbtopc applet.
- if SSPL-Manual.exe or enterbootloader.exe fails to run (says missing component or similar), try a hard reset of the device.
- CDMA (Sprint or Telus) diamonds need my other hardspl:, head over to: CDMA (not GSM) diamond hardspl - ONLY use this if your diamond does not use GSM protocol for radio!!! otherwise you will brick the device!!!

UPDATE: 1.37 Hard-SPL
for those who need 1.37 due to some screen fuzziness issues on some newer diamonds, here it is with hardspl patches:
- Developer Edition: can flash unsigned code. Version: 1.37.OliNex
- Signed Edition: can only flash preapproved signed code. Version: 1.38.OliNex (of course still based on 1.37).
please see Attachment below for Signed Edition!!
for Developer Edition, see the developer hardspl thread of course.
(use attachment Hard-SPL-Diamond-OliNex.zip to get the RUU package to flash the 1.38 NBH from HardSPL_OliNex138_Signed.zip. just overwrite the NBH file with 1.38 NBH)

I recommend you flash the original HardSPL, as that one is MFG. only flash the 1.37/1.38 if you experience the fuzzy display issue.

UPDATE 2: 1.93 Hard-SPL
(placeholder for now, but you can already download unsigned version in the Developer HardSPL thread!)
if someone's diamond came with 1.93 SPL originally, maybe this HardSPL based on 1.93 will work better than the olders. I have a report that someone has black screen with older SPL's.
but even if your diamond didn't come with 1.93 stock, but 1.37/1.38 doesn't fix screen problems (fuzzy screen, flickering, etc.), it is recommended to try this 1.93 HardSPL.
if your diamond works fine with original HardSPL, no need to flash this one.

IMPORTANT: all in all, I recommend you flash the original HardSPL, as that one is MFG and easier to deal with if there is some problem. only flash the 1.37/1.38 or 1.93 if you have screen issues.
if it was some other version and you still have issues after trying 1.37/1.38 and 1.93, then please let us know.

Stock SPL's for warranty reasons:
visit the http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=400411 (Signed ROMs) thread, see post #20.
(or visit Developer HardSPL thread post #39, same thing.)

Attachments

• Hard-SPL-Diamond-OliNex.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 129,241
  • HardSPL_OliNex138_Signed.zip
    137.4 KB · Views: 47,150
Last edited:

cmonex

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 23, 2006
Budapest
Thank you. I am going to flash.. :)

enjoy! you won't imagine how much work it was for me to get this ****er (SSPL) working :D

anyway, this has been tested on radio versions 0.91 and 0.93, I don't think it is radio specific, but if you have some newer radio version (haven't seen any yet) and have trouble with running SSPL or flashing it, let us know.

also, the SSPL screen is black, not tricolour, that's just the way it is. only preproduction diamond had it tricolour.

last note: do not try to use this SSPL to flash anything else other than an SPL file. it explicitly blocks other flashes anyway. SSPL is *never* a good way to flash OS images.

leofungwai

Aug 16, 2003
Thanks Olinex ;)

i agree to the idea of olipro, it is good to the community ...especially for new comer who had not muc experience in rom flashing

but i think for developer and some experienced user , a unsigned version is neccessary for daily testing like :

1) if i am cooking a rom and wanna flash into the device to had a real test , i need to wait u guys to sign..u guys may busy and wasting unneccessary time for signing some "beta" rom ...example I made a hermes rom before ..which had chinese build in support, i had made more than 5 nbh for my own testing ....:S .. u can imagine if need signed .. i need to bother "olinex" tooo many time

look forward for a developer unsigned ver :)

SecureGSM

Sep 27, 2006
Melbourne
www.securegsm.com
@leofungwai.

can't you just sign this HSSPL code with you own certificate before getting this thing on of course if that's the case? should be straight forwar, really..

also, it should allow for flasing genuine firmwares signed by vendors, meaning hardware vendor's certificate is still must be valid.

And if it doesn't then, what happens if device is stucked in bootloader or doesn't boot into OS anymore? that would make difficult for reverting back to original SPL.

rvbcrs

Retired Moderator
Jan 28, 2005
Zutphen
una.ramonvanbruggen.nl
First of all great work guys!

I am trying to flash my Diamond from a Windows XP machine. I start the RUU and when the progress bar appears it halts at 0% and after some time starts about a connection problem, my diamond is not going in bootloader mode. So I started my Diamond mannualy in 3 color mode and started the RUU again. Again it halts at 0% and is there now for about 5 mins. Can you help me out guys?

RvBCrS

Nadavi

Mar 14, 2005
Great!

And thanks for the TEAM!!!

Just installed it.

Worked.
this makes a Hard Reset on the Device.

Now will try to update with a different rom.

Nadavi.

SecureGSM

Sep 27, 2006
Melbourne
www.securegsm.com
what is that suppposed to mean? calling someone stupid is already bad but that was my question.

The way I understood, if your SPL code is checking for presence of your certificate "attached" to the NBH, then if the certificate in your SPL code is patched to different certificate, then SPL will not complain about code is not being signed by your certificate anymore. call this stupidity, but I am not going to put something on my device I would not be able to remove with out third party *permission* to do so.

again, I can be wrong. I am not a programmer, but then your explanation is confusing.

rvbcrs

Retired Moderator
Jan 28, 2005
Zutphen
una.ramonvanbruggen.nl
just reset the device and try again. it MUST be done from windows

Thanks olipro for you response, I rebooted my device and did it again with windows mobile booted, waited for device center connection, and again got the exception on "Enterbootloader.exe" very strange it looks like a .NET exception window.. I have a Dutch Mobile edition, don't know if that matters..

Olipro

Sep 22, 2005
Your SPL
what is that suppposed to mean? calling someone stupid is already bad but that was my question.

The way I understood, if your SPL code is checking for presence of your certificate "attached" to the NBH, then if the certificate in your SPL code is patched to different certificate, then SPL will not complain about code is not being signed by your certificate anymore. call this stupidity, but I am not going to put something on my device I would not be able to remove with out third party *permission* to do so.

again, I can be wrong. I am not a programmer, but then your explanation is confusing.

yes... patched to a different certificate, therefore, requiring files that you flash to be signed with it.

If you want to get rid of it, you can have a stock HTC SPL signed with it.

Personally I like this because our released ROMs have no SPL in and a dedicated rollback desired for warranty purposes can be used with no chance of mistake

cmonex

Jul 23, 2006
Budapest
@leofungwai.

can't you just sign this HSSPL code with you own certificate before getting this thing on of course if that's the case? should be straight forwar, really..

also, it should allow for flasing genuine firmwares signed by vendors, meaning hardware vendor's certificate is still must be valid.

And if it doesn't then, what happens if device is stucked in bootloader or doesn't boot into OS anymore? that would make difficult for reverting back to original SPL.

you can't, because the SSPL also requires this custom signing to flash the HSPL...

your point is very good about allowing for stock ROMs.

we actually can have a way to do that

though hopefully this won't last long and the unsigned "developer version" will be available to everyone soon. I strongly disagree with the original idea anyway.

motin

Sep 18, 2005
when you run the new rom from europe then it will boot to the 3 bootolader mode you can see your spl installed and then not mov any more from 0%