KitKat battery drain fix

Search This thread

swrajjoshi

Oct 14, 2010
Sydney
fix that worked for me

I read it on one of the posts in XDA but can't seem to find it now. The solution I am listing here was recommended by someone else. It did work for me but not sure if it work on all users. So, please try at your own risk.

Warning - Although these changes did not brick or affect OS performance for me but I can't guaranty its impact on other users esp. as it would depend on the steps you took. You will loose GMail, Play Store and Google Search by following steps below. However, all of these services would be back when you re-install new versions.

I ran my phone without Google Play Services, Search and Framework for a week just to see the effect on battery. The battery gain was over 30%. After re-installing the Google apps and services, the battery drain by them stayed under 5% with location turned off. Previously, Google Play Service would take between 20-40% battery even when the location was turned off. Only solution was to "Forcefully Stop" them each time.

I think this is still worth giving a try esp. if your battery drain by Google services is too big-
1. Launch Settings -> Apps -> All
-------------You will loose GMail app, Play Store app etc.-------------
2. Google Play Services -> Force Stop, Clear Cache and then disable the app. When you try and disable it, the OS will ask if you want to revert back to original app by uninstalling current version. Say yes to it and then try disabling again.
3. Google Search -> Force Stop, Clear Cache and then disable the app. When you try and disable it, the OS will ask if you want to revert back to original app by uninstalling current version. Say yes to it and then try disabling again.
4. Google Services Framework -> Force Stop, Clear Cache and then disable the app. When you try and disable it, the OS will ask if you want to revert back to original app by uninstalling current version. Say yes to it and then try disabling again.
5. Google+ -> Force Stop, Clear Cache and then disable the app. When you try and disable it, the OS will ask if you want to revert back to original app by uninstalling current version. Say yes to it and then try disabling again.
6. Google Backup Transport -> Force Stop, Clear Cache and then disable the app. When you try and disable it, the OS will ask if you want to revert back to original app by uninstalling current version. Say yes to it and then try disabling again.
7. Restart the phone.
8. You will get continuous notifications indicating some OS services need to access Google Play Services etc. You can safely ignore these notifications.
9. Wait for phone to boot up completely first.
10. Re-enabling the above services will bring GMail and Google Play Store. You will need to create a new shortcut.
11. Launch Google Play Store and look for updates on your apps. It will automatically give you Play store, Gmail etc updates
12. Download and install them.
13. Reboot the phone.

The Google Play Services should not take more than 5% of your battery in a day now i.e. with Location Services turned off.

Hope this helps! :cowboy:

demonicangell™

Aug 5, 2011
Bombay
I read it on one of the posts in XDA but can't seem to find it now. The solution I am listing here was recommended by someone else. It did work for me but not sure if it work on all users. So, please try at your own risk.

etc

Hope this helps! :cowboy:

okay, but with location services turned off it anyways does not suck battery without doing any of the above steps .

fernando823

Jun 8, 2012
Guys, I went back yesterday to 10.4.1.B.0.101 Android 4.3 and all my pain has gone, my phone is the same as it was before this 2 months of no sense.
-No drain of battery even with Google Play Services v5 (and no heating without reason)
-Much faster, no lags
-No missing features from 4.4 except sony keyboard and camera apps. ¿Could someone upload?

I will definitelly skip 10.5.A.0.230 even with a fix for the drain, 101 is so much faster...

Sossa_A4

Jun 17, 2014
The only working solution (1 month+ now already for me) was after rooting , disable the services from google play services with "disable service" from playstore, i.e. Disabling every service with location, wearables, and some more in gps. (screenshots i posted in this thread) overnight, that is on standby, no more then 1% overall Batteryuse (100% around 00.00 and when i disconnect phone from charger, and look next morning, next morning the battery was still 99%) Gps was never to be seen again in my batteryconsumption.. This already works for me for over a month now already with all versions of gps. I dont use wearables and dont use locationsservices in apps also, so for me a perfect Solution. This is permanent fix for me..

Sent from my C6603 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: ElwOOd_CbGp

swrajjoshi

Oct 14, 2010
Sydney
For me it drained battery in both modes and after above steps, they behave better. Again, your mileage might be different.

BTW, for me nothing helped, not even greenify or screen wake monitors.

Sent from my C6602 using XDA Free mobile app

Sossa_A4

Jun 17, 2014
For me it drained battery in both modes and after above steps, they behave better. Again, your mileage might be different.

BTW, for me nothing helped, not even greenify or screen wake monitors.

Sent from my C6602 using XDA Free mobile app

No, monitoring or greenify only doesnt help. One need to disable the services within gps... Cheers

xchasa

Dec 29, 2010
This with just clearing play services cache and data while on charge.
Location on all the time.
Has been this stable for over four weeks. Maybe I'm lucky.

Attachments

• 1406539502922.jpg
    1406539502922.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 478
  • 1406539530375.jpg
    1406539530375.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 404
  • 1406539540629.jpg
    1406539540629.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 382
This is mine and it looks normal on the latest google play service 5.0.88 ^^
3u2aty4a.jpg

Edit:
After a full charge (almost) !

ymuty9a9.jpg

Re-Edit

Great now and no battery drain anymore with google play service and still on 5.0.88 and its now 3% and stand below the list ^^

9agusa2a.jpg

ymejy3un.jpg

Send from my XZ With My Own Personal Modified MoonWalker SuperB !

Last edited:

kingvortex

Mar 25, 2010
Last edited:
This is because you have disabled location reporting / history, which is and always has been the source of the battery drain since this problem first occurred. Of course you're not seeing drain from Google Play Services any more. I haven't for months with those disabled.

Yes indeed that is correct and aah oke :good:

Apr 25, 2014
Thane
Battery drain work around.

Hello Guys,

I had the same problem of battery draining when updated to 4.4.2. The battery would drain from 100 to 50 % in just 3 to 4 hours. and when the location setting is enabled it would drain more faster and while u keep you phone idle it would drain the whole battery in few hours.

I found some solution to fix this issue without keeping location setting off.

1: Go to settings --> backup & reset --> Uncheck the "Back up my data option".

2: Go to settings --> Accounts --> Google --> Ads --> Check the "Opt out of interest-based ads"

3: Go to setting --> Location --> Mode --> Select "Battery Saving" Mode.

This worked out for my Xperia Z C6602 on stock rom 4.4.2.

Best of luck......:good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've tried this and its work for me.

1) Download Xposed installer from google store
    2) Download WakeLock Terminator and add module to Xposed
    3) Find Google Play Service in Terminator and set filter:

NetworkLocationLocator
    NIpCollectorWakeLock
    Checkin Service
    NIpWakeLock
    WakefullIntentService[GCoreUIr-LocationReportingService]
    If anyone is still having battery drain issues i've used the following method from khan663399 which seems to be working for me. Original link here is you want to thank him :D : http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53030579&postcount=421

Download AppOpsXposed : http://repo.xposed.info/module/at.jclehner.appopsxposed

After install go to Settings>App Ops>Location>Google Play Services, Then scroll down to 'keep awake' and deactivate it. (I also did the same for Google Search)

picture.php
    picture.php

Unlike other wakelock terminators, this method doesn't cause fc of play services.

All credits go to khan663399 for this method :good:
    This is because you have disabled location reporting / history, which is and always has been the source of the battery drain since this problem first occurred. Of course you're not seeing drain from Google Play Services any more. I haven't for months with those disabled.

Yes indeed that is correct and aah oke :good:

Guys, I went back yesterday to 10.4.1.B.0.101 Android 4.3 and all my pain has gone, my phone is the same as it was before this 2 months of no sense.
    -No drain of battery even with Google Play Services v5 (and no heating without reason)
    -Much faster, no lags
    -No missing features from 4.4 except sony keyboard and camera apps. ¿Could someone upload?

I will definitelly skip 10.5.A.0.230 even with a fix for the drain, 101 is so much faster...
    I use .84 Version on my xperia Z. after 2 days everything OK
    (+ Clear cache + Clear data for Google play service)