Fire Hd 8.9 can't enable ADB

Search This thread

Haloman800

Dec 16, 2010
I bought a kindle fire from craigslist that turned out to be a demo unit.. I've unsuccessfully tried for the past hour to enable ADB, all the guides require enabling debugging, but I can't access settings since it's in demo mode.

Is there any other way to enable ADB or get into fastboot? I'm going crazy..

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
I bought a kindle fire from craigslist that turned out to be a demo unit.. I've unsuccessfully tried for the past hour to enable ADB, all the guides require enabling debugging, but I can't access settings since it's in demo mode.

Is there any other way to enable ADB or get into fastboot? I'm going crazy..

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
You won't be able to enable adb use fastboot and this tool to replace the demo system http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2011126 .

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

With the Kindle powered down, type the following command into a cmd/terminal window on your PC (should return with: < waiting for device> ):
fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product

Then connect USB to the Kindle and reboot. It *SHOULD* show a Fastboot screen and your terminal window should show something like:
product: Jem-PVT-Prod-04 this has to be done in a command window opened where fastboot is located. Shift + right click in the folder where fastboot is located select open command window here, then run the command and follow above instructions to get it into fastboot.

Haloman800

Dec 16, 2010
You won't be able to enable adb use fastboot and this tool to replace the demo system http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2011126 .

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

With the Kindle powered down, type the following command into a cmd/terminal window on your PC (should return with: < waiting for device> ):
fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product

Then connect USB to the Kindle and reboot. It *SHOULD* show a Fastboot screen and your terminal window should show something like:
product: Jem-PVT-Prod-04 this has to be done in a command window opened where fastboot is located. Shift + right click in the folder where fastboot is located select open command window here, then run the command and follow above instructions to get it into fastboot.

I did everything you said, I got "Waiting for device" in cmd and all but when I plugged in my KF (while it was turned off) and tapped power it booted straight into Demo again, what should I do?

edit: Is there a certain driver I need to install? I got the one here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1890413 and it installed, but when I plug in my kindle it shows up under Devices & Printers as a Portable Media Player (model Kindle), and under Kindle it says "Connected as Media Device", is this normal?

Last edited:

Haloman800

Dec 16, 2010
I got it to work by following your steps, I also had to manually install the driver with the guide here: http://www.jayceooi.com/2011/12/29/how-to-install-kindle-fire-adb-usb-driver-video/

Gonna type out the process in case anyone comes here from a search engine later:

I installed the driver, followed your steps for opening CMD/running command "fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product", then I held down the power button until the device shut off (around 20 secs), plugged in cable, tapped power button, and it showed the device (Jem-PVT-Prod-04) was recognized, but disconnected. I did the same thing again (20 sec power off, turn back on) and I was able to enter fastboot. From there I followed the link you posted (system.img recover tool) wiped all data then chose option 3 (which rooted the device and installed a launcher)..

All is well so far! Thanks again!!

Ilikenoodles

Aug 28, 2013
Hey guys,

Sorry to necro an old thread here but I cant seem to get this to work

I bought a demo tablet too and I have followed this guide installed the linked driver and as soon as I try step one nothing

I run Fastboot in CMD use the command fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product CMD tells me waiting for device and with the kindle turned on I connect the USB lead and nothing it just sits so Im at a loss and have been trying to make this work for months im pulling my hair out with it

If anyone can help I would be extremely grateful..

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
When the fastboot driver isn't installed the command won't work' and its a pain to install it in the timeframe it gives you, best suggestions are this:
1. try kindle fire first aid's driver installer
2. Do this from and Ubuntu 13.10 live CD/USB after installing fastboot from Ubuntu software center.
Personally I use Ubuntu Linux and I would say its much more preferable because there's no mess with drivers on the kindle, it automatically loads the module required so all you have to do is run the command from a terminal.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app

Ilikenoodles

Aug 28, 2013
When the fastboot driver isn't installed the command won't work' and its a pain to install it in the timeframe it gives you, best suggestions are this:
1. try kindle fire first aid's driver installer
2. Do this from and Ubuntu 13.10 live CD/USB after installing fastboot from Ubuntu software center.
Personally I use Ubuntu Linux and I would say its much more preferable because there's no mess with drivers on the kindle, it automatically loads the module required so all you have to do is run the command from a terminal.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app

Hi stunts and thankyou for the reply!

I have downloaded the kindle fire HD First aid program from this thread
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888
the first aid program is linked as https://xerocomm.app.box.com/kffa-100 within the above thread

It was posted by user prokennexusa is this the first aid program you talk about?
If so there is a folder within the rar file designated Drivers im assuming that these are the drivers you speak of but there is no installer
I can manualy install them ofcourse but do I have to remove the drivers I downloaded and installed previously
(The drivers Haloman800 mentions in this thread)

Ive tried to manualy install different drivers over the top of ABD drivers before and windows always says the drivers I have are up to date and doesent change them

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Hi stunts and thankyou for the reply!

I have downloaded the kindle fire HD First aid program from this thread
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888
the first aid program is linked as https://xerocomm.app.box.com/kffa-100 within the above thread

It was posted by user prokennexusa is this the first aid program you talk about?
If so there is a folder within the rar file designated Drivers im assuming that these are the drivers you speak of but there is no installer
I can manualy install them ofcourse but do I have to remove the drivers I downloaded and installed previously
(The drivers Haloman800 mentions in this thread)

Ive tried to manualy install different drivers over the top of ABD drivers before and windows always says the drivers I have are up to date and doesent change them

If you wanna take the easy way out use the linux method, i have to say this is the easiest imo. The drivers in my signature work too, i thought the kffa had a driver installer but i guess not? So either screw with windows and try to remove previous drivers or go with linux, choice is yours,

Ilikenoodles

Aug 28, 2013
If you wanna take the easy way out use the linux method, i have to say this is the easiest imo. The drivers in my signature work too, i thought the kffa had a driver installer but i guess not? So either screw with windows and try to remove previous drivers or go with linux, choice is yours,

Ill try screwing with windows to remove them drivers first
Havent got a multiboot system setup so hopefully it will be less of a mess about than setting up linex and multiboot etc..

Ill post back with results :p

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

Oops just found the installer Within KFFA

So I ran it and it said completed successfully
I then used "fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product" It said waiting for device so I powered on the kindle (its in demo mode) my pc detected the kindle installed it as a kindle and gave me the auto play options again but the Fastboot window remained unchanged

How will I know when I actually have the correct drivers installed will the kindle install as "kindle portable media player" or something else?

Once again I do appreciate you giving your time to help me.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Ill try screwing with windows to remove them drivers first
Havent got a multiboot system setup so hopefully it will be less of a mess about than setting up linex and multiboot etc..

Ill post back with results :p

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

Oops just found the installer Within KFFA

So I ran it and it said completed successfully
I then used "fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product" It said waiting for device so I powered on the kindle (its in demo mode) my pc detected the kindle installed it as a kindle and gave me the auto play options again but the Fastboot window remained unchanged

How will I know when I actually have the correct drivers installed will the kindle install as "kindle portable media player" or something else?

Once again I do appreciate you giving your time to help me.

If you plug it into your pc when the kindle is off, your pc should detect it in fastboot and that command waiting to be run should put it into fastboot, if it doesnt its because the driver isnt installing for the jem device that should be breifly appearing.