Ouya: $99 hackable Android game console

Search This thread

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
At first I thought I have no need for this device since I have an Xperia Play, but now I might get it to replace our current HTPC, which is an old HP laptop with broken screen. But I like to know if it will get CyanogenMod, which seems likely.

We only watch videos from online and some web browsing. Adobe Flash is needed though, I hope its easy to side load apps. As long as I can use a USB hub to connect mouse, keyboard and getting the logitech usb gamepad to work. I really like hear from anyone who already have the device and their experience with connecting USB peripherals to it.

Last edited:

tripleoptic

Dec 6, 2007
I understand for $99 this is a pretty decent deal but what I don't understand is why someone that has a tegra 3 or better phone/tablet needs this?

Why can't you just use the video out on your current device with a bluetooth controller to play games?

Am I missing something? I'm just trying to figure out why I would buy this device if I have a newer smartphone/tablet and bluetooth controller sitting around? What have I overlooked?

to some degree you're right, it does seem to be a redundant device. And more than a few of us have done exactly that. On the same token, not that many games on Android and programmed to use a controller such as Dead Space, Need for Speed, Angry Birds, and so forth. Yet, some are such as Dead Trigger, GTAIII (granted this is a port),and Shadowgun.

Why someone would want this, is an excellent question that is more on subjectivity, than objectivity. Personally, I got it to support an alternative to mainstream consoles--Playstation, Xbox, Nintendo. I don't piicture anything like this becoming a big threat to them, but as Michael Patcher said, could be a nice second console. One that is just always hooked up to the TV, rather than having to leave the wire hooked up the TV. And as a practical matter, not all mobile devices have microHDMI and HML outputs. HML does not always give enough juice to charge a phone, but slows the discharge rate.

Some controllers need root access to the phone such as the Playstation Sixaxias, well the Sixaxias Controller application does. I would venture to guess that most mobile phone owners are NOT rooted. Some controllers don't such as the Wiimote and maybe some generic blue tooth controllers, but how well they work may be questionable. I know the OnLive universal controller works, but only well with OnLive; I've tried Dead Trigger and Shadowgun and wasn't able to program the buttons.

In addition, I think some people are hoping if there are enough numbers, it will attract more developers. This could mean more better quality games, and maybe some new interesting ideas that would otherwise be too expensive or risky on other platforms. That's part of the point of Ouya is for low entry cost into game development into the living room. I know that's part of my hope.

I figured it's only a $100. I've blow that without thinking with going out to eat or other similar activities, so it's not like I'll miss the money. It wouldn't be the first time I've gotten tech where the company went under. If were able to use Google Play or side load games, the console will be usable even if the company goes under.

Reactions: tripleoptic

tripleoptic

Dec 6, 2007
Thanks for the post lovekeiiy. I definitely think these type of devices will take off. I'll be looking forward to see what kind of support this gets from developers.

I'm surprised Roku or some of the other companies with streaming devices haven't already ventured in to the arena of android gaming and will be curious to see if they do depending on the success of this.

I would think in time TV manufactures may also base their Smart TV's on android for the flexibility it can give. I also hope these new TV services Intel and Apple are said to be developing rope in gaming somehow.

I hope more and more features will be added such as netflix, vudu, amazon, etc. Having parental controls and a profile geared towards kids would be great too.

Roku has ventured into gaming a bit, but on a more limited basis. Have to remember some of those devices well predate Android. Heck, I preordered the Roku; I got mine two weeks after release because there was such a back order, and it was called the Netflix Player by Roku. The box has come a long way since those days. There are smart TVs with gaming as well. I know my Panasonic VT50 has some games. In the end, most of the games are most geared towards the casual gaming experience like Angry Birds.

This is one of those devices where early adopters are going to have a major impact on it. We're the ones who really try it out now, see what it could be. I think it'll help that is may be more open than other devices. I fully expect to see stuff like Netflix, Hulu Plus, Crackle, Plex, XBMC, and so forth all hitting the device.

There are other companies that have said they will add some support such as OnLive. Companies like OnLive I find really exciting. Although I think their tech can be more revolutionary in the business sector, but for gaming, I think it's technology can really bring major gaming to a gaming almost anywhere, anytime situation where you start a game on the console, continue the game on your mobile device while on, say, a commuter train, than continue some more during a lunch break or after one gets home from work. I may thinking more ideally because we know big console companies may not be that open it, but one can dream.

As for Ouya, it may be just a stepping stone. I personally don't know what limitations Android may pose in regards to gaming. There will always be a hardware limitation, but this is true for all computer types. If you look at it as what it is, an easy, low cost entry point into the living room for both the game developer and consumer, then it could be something good. The Wii showed, if there are fun games to play, people will come, which only leads to more developers on the platform, which may bring more fun games. Worrying about the processor and ram and so forth at this stage of the game just seems premature. We don't even know if they platform will delivery the content consumers want.

We don't have to wait too much longer. We'll see if the rubber meets the road. I'm hopeful it will do well.

---------- Post added at 05:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 AM ----------

this is prime example where Ouya can be nice. This is my GN2 hooked up to my HDTV using HML adapter. Hooking up the controller to it is easy enough with Sixaxis Controller and app. Not exactly pretty.

Firehand81

Apr 12, 2011
Damn this Ouya, tempting me... I was so close to pre-ordering/joining kickstarter but I was too suspicious that they would actually get anything out...

But now it's getting closer and closer to release and I really don't wanna pre-order anymore, since it probably takes ages to get one. But concidering that I got Raspberry Pi, Android TV Stick and HTPC computer, I guess I just have to get one when they get released... and hopefully it works nicely enough that I can reduce clutter under my TV bit :p

roy_nor

Nov 23, 2011
all about the games

My friend pre-ordered one when Ouya was up on kickstarter. Now I kind of regret not putting down 99$. Anyone know what games that'll be ready at launch (As in 100% compatible with the console)?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    to some degree you're right, it does seem to be a redundant device. And more than a few of us have done exactly that. On the same token, not that many games on Android and programmed to use a controller such as Dead Space, Need for Speed, Angry Birds, and so forth. Yet, some are such as Dead Trigger, GTAIII (granted this is a port),and Shadowgun.

Why someone would want this, is an excellent question that is more on subjectivity, than objectivity. Personally, I got it to support an alternative to mainstream consoles--Playstation, Xbox, Nintendo. I don't piicture anything like this becoming a big threat to them, but as Michael Patcher said, could be a nice second console. One that is just always hooked up to the TV, rather than having to leave the wire hooked up the TV. And as a practical matter, not all mobile devices have microHDMI and HML outputs. HML does not always give enough juice to charge a phone, but slows the discharge rate.

Some controllers need root access to the phone such as the Playstation Sixaxias, well the Sixaxias Controller application does. I would venture to guess that most mobile phone owners are NOT rooted. Some controllers don't such as the Wiimote and maybe some generic blue tooth controllers, but how well they work may be questionable. I know the OnLive universal controller works, but only well with OnLive; I've tried Dead Trigger and Shadowgun and wasn't able to program the buttons.

In addition, I think some people are hoping if there are enough numbers, it will attract more developers. This could mean more better quality games, and maybe some new interesting ideas that would otherwise be too expensive or risky on other platforms. That's part of the point of Ouya is for low entry cost into game development into the living room. I know that's part of my hope.

I figured it's only a $100. I've blow that without thinking with going out to eat or other similar activities, so it's not like I'll miss the money. It wouldn't be the first time I've gotten tech where the company went under. If were able to use Google Play or side load games, the console will be usable even if the company goes under.
    XBMC was my main reason to purchase. I'm hoping it will have the power to do Aeon Nox skin and 1080p content over Wifi, so I can put it at any place in house. Purchased one for now w extra controller. If it works well w XBMC will be buying a second one for the kids TV so they have on demand kids movies from my ripped to hdd bluray collection. Things like games, other useful apps, old school emu, etc are just cherry on top :).
    My exact reason and thinking as well.

As far as processing horsepower: I'm running the hardware beta builds of XBMC today on the Nexus 7 and am able to decode 1080P up to 20Mbps. Over 2.4GHz wireless N, I do see some pauses for "buffering" on files with bitrates above ~14Mbps, which is either saturating the bandwidth of the Wifi connection or the hardware is unable to keep up. At this point, I can't be sure which.

So, considering that the Ouya uses the same cpu as the Nexus 7, except it's clocked 33% faster, it should have no trouble with 1080P content.

And, I believe the Ouya runs wireless N at 5GHz, which has more throughput than at 2.4GHz, where the Nexus 7 must operate, so wireless speeds may not be an issue either.

Overall, this thing should kick ass with XBMC.

BTW, if anyone's interested in trying the hardware decoding beta builds of XBMC for Android, you can find them here. Pick the one with "hwaccel" in the title:
    http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/android/
    Do you mean old xbox, as in XBMC on old xbox? Cause if you're doing just dlna media streaming, that doesn't compare at all to XBMC imo w up to date Frodo, art scraping, the visuals of UI skins like Nox, TV Tunes, plugins like Sports Devil etc. I used to do DLNA myself straight to my PS3, but it feels archaic now compared to XBMC...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
    XBMC + OUYA
    http://xbmc.org/natethomas/2012/08/07/xbmc-and-ouya-oh-yeah/

It's not clear if it'll be a special build that appears in the Ouya store, or if you just sideload the Android app, but it'll work. I already see Ouya specific stuff in the XBMC merge notes.
    Maybe. Just depends on what you're trying to run on the PC.

The issue, although the PC is a lot more robust, it also costs a lot more than a hundred dollars. And some of the games on Android are not on the PC, and vise versa.

As for the controller, probably could be hooked up. I suspect it'll be blue tooth. Worse case, it'll have generic HID controller drivers.