[Q] xbmc app using tethering data?!?

Search This thread

ruffryder281

Apr 16, 2008
I have started using the xbmc android app on my note 2 for a few days, after a few days of use I got a push notification message from tmobile that said to prevent from tethering future mobile hotspot from being block to sign up, but i have not done any tethering at all, and now as of today i just got a message from tmobile again that said my hotspot service was being blocked, now i notice my xbmc app dose not work, why is the xbmc android app using my tethering data how can i make it use my regular mobile data? I am also not rooted and have a stock note 2 if that helps any.

ttabbal

Jul 1, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
TMO detects "tethering" by detecting user agents and such. There's no real way to know where the traffic comes from. I suspect the XBMC app just uses standard desktop user agents for its HTTP connections, so got caught by it. If you're streaming from a home connection, try connecting an OpenVPN or SSH tunnel first. The encryption should get you past the retarded block.

ruffryder281

Apr 16, 2008
TMO detects "tethering" by detecting user agents and such. There's no real way to know where the traffic comes from. I suspect the XBMC app just uses standard desktop user agents for its HTTP connections, so got caught by it. If you're streaming from a home connection, try connecting an OpenVPN or SSH tunnel first. The encryption should get you past the retarded block.

How exactly do I do that?

ruffryder281

Apr 16, 2008
Putlocker, icefilms, meshup, noobroom, youtube, 1channel, tvlinks

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

sic_lic1o1

Mar 4, 2011

I Google search and landed on this page. You have the same problem I have for my tmobile note 3. Anyways, I couldn't find any answers to your question yet but I know that either the app 1channel or the icefilm or the dailyflix app causing it. I got the push msg 2nd time saying now my teher has been blocked. I can't get any movies in the 1channel or the icefilm or the dailyflix app to load if I'm on my lte data. But if I turn the wifi on, and go into these apps, it will load just fine. I downloaded the 1channel app from the playstore and that app has 1channel and icefilm in it, it did the same thing. It will not load anything on mobile data but it will load on wifi. So I think its one of those app that causes tmobile to think your tethering. Try different one from Mashup repo. It will work with your data but not the ones that I mentioned.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the 1st push msg text I recieved from tmobile about hostpot tether, those apps still worked fine. As soon as I received the 2nd text about my hotspot tether has been blocked. All those apps stopped loading any videos unless I use wifi.

Last edited:

premiatul

Sep 25, 2010
Did any of you thought to call T-mo customer service?
I am using Sopcast and I received the tethered message, but as soon as I got it, I called them and yelled at them, telling them that I never tether.
That was way back when they first came up with unlimited data.
I don't know what they changed, but never had any problems or any more messages from them and I use A LOT of data watching live TV at least 10 hours a day.

It is worth a try.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda premium

ruffryder281

Apr 16, 2008
I found out what the problem is, it all has to do with the xbmc app for android its using a desktop interface which your android device thinks its using a computer thats how your tethering data is being used, but only the xbmc app is using your tethering data any videos you watch will be using your mobile data, for example when you search for movies or tv shows you'll notice xbmc working evertime xbmc is working and searching for content then its using your tethering data, but once you start streaming, it uses your mobile data, so really its only using a really small amout of tethering data when xbmc is searching or updating its plug ins.