XTZ Essentials Software/Accessoires

Search This thread

buster125

Jan 26, 2014
Hello fellow xda-members,

I am currently waiting for the delivery of my SGP 311. Should be here by monday :fingers-crossed:.

I chose the XTZ because of its features, design and weight and last but not least price. It was a head to head race with the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014, which falls behind in design (touchwiz urgh), weight and pricing (180 bucks more), but has one feature, that I do find useful as a student: The S-pen.

I know that no third party stick can replace a fully integrated pen system like the s-pen, but I dont need the complete package. I am looking for a reliable and useful combination of accessoires both software and hardware, that will enhance the creative capabilities of the XTZ to some extent.

Please share your good/bad experiences with certain pieces of hard-/software.

I would need suggestions:

Case (w/ keyboard?)

Stylus

Bluetooth headset

Creative software for students

Thanks in advance,

Buster

Felimenta97

Aug 5, 2011
Ribeirão Preto
Case: I'd say the Original Sony one. It is really expesive compared to third party ones, but every single of them had some kind of problem that turned me off. I use mine mostly for transport and at school, to protect. At home, I'm really careful, so I just remove it (it gets bulky and heavy-ish).

Stylus: Can't comment about that

Bluetooth Headset: Can't comment about that²

Apps for Stundents: I can recommend quite a few. I'm assuming you know most apps, but still giving some obvious recommendations.

Cal: It's a Beautiful Calendar app. I'm using it because 4.3 stock Calendar app is basically useless, as it force closes all the time (I'd probably fix it by doing a factory reset, but I'm too lazy for that now).

Calcu - The Ultimate Calculator: Quite feature-rich, beautifully designed calculator. The stock one is quite good too, not as feature rich, though.

CliffHanger: I'm constantly watching TV Series, and this is a great app to have notifications about new episodes and to keep track of which you have watched already.

ConvertIt (Pro): Great conversion app, lots of units (LOTS)

Google Drive: Great writing app, IF you have a internet connection the whole time. It is almost useless as a editing tool while offline.

Box.net: I'm not sure if the promo is still going on, but if it is, as a Xperia owner, you have 50 Gb of lifetime cloud storage.

Financious: Great, also beautifully designed, finances tracking app.

MX Player: Awesome video player. With a plugin, you can reproduce basically everything.

Office Suite (Pro): I personally don't like their editor, but the reader is quite good, specially PDF.

PackageBuddy (Pro): Great package tracking app.

Sony Sketch: Great simple drawing app... A stylus would make it more useful.

Sony Tasks: Not feature rich, but useful for simple things.

Timetable (by Gabriel Ittner): Well designed, highly customizable Timetable app.

Those are the ones I can recommend. Hope you enjoy your device. In any doubts, just let us know :)

papped

Jan 28, 2007
Case = Poetic SlimLine

The case is pretty heavy, but very thin, magnet works very well and is one of the better cases available. Still the best case I've seen. If you are going to carry it in a bag near a wallet you might not want a magnet that strong though...

cantenna

Aug 5, 2012
Newcastle
Sony MDR-10RBT with viper4android; pretty awesome!.

Case official sony one. Had a poetic slim and it damaged the LCD display; so I got a new tablet and sony case. Also bought the dock, it's worth it if you plan on maintaining waterproof long term. Also you should try to use the USB port as little as possible. Tabs are flimsy and damage easily, also the USB port is weak in that if used too often one of those days when you unplug it you may take the port along with you!

Poetic slim is a nice feel case but it doesn't bend as easily as the tablet itself. If you use a dock to charge as I did, I had to remove the tablet from the case daily and that means bending my display daily which eventually lead to dead pixels; the case also exerts why to much pressure on the table which makes rainbows swirls more likely to occur and damage if dropped. If you want to see for yourself insert the tablet into the case while the screen is on.

These quirks aside; it's an awesome tablet! And it's is built for the long haul. I love being able to wash it when it's dirty and curtesy of Aqua cam Z Pro, I have got some awesome pics from my last snorkel adventure in the ocean; probably won't do that again as the tablet doesn't float at all!