A thought on battery life

Search This thread

pmdied

Mar 26, 2010
I thought I'd post this after trying numerous Roms and finding that battery life was getting worse. I went to Batteries+ (a chain that sells all sorts of batteries) and replaced my battery a few days ago. I can honestly say that my battery life on ANY ROM is now 14-20+ hours.
With our s3's approaching the 2 year mark it seems that the stock battery is nearing its life span. But with a new battery this phone is working perfectly. Just thought I'd share my experience.

Sent from my d2lte using xda app-developers app

sammymcalaxy

Nov 16, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
As a chef, I'll offer you this thought: it's the man, not the pan.

Each ROM has its quirks. Same with kernels. Same with carriers. It's how you let them operate. Work with your settings, assess your app permissions, you can always make it better. As tempting as it is to pick the low hanging fruit, it's often times not the hardware, but the manipulation of software or lack thereof. I've seen a lot of people complain about lag/drain/freezes/storage while they are running at least one 3rd party app for each individual task.... or even task killers/managers! To me, those are useless, and only contribute to the issues... Android is beautiful because it's designed to run without the need for all the extra noise.

I digress.

pmdied

Mar 26, 2010
I appreciate the feedback. Eventually an electronic device is going to need a new battery and no amount of rom/app manipulate is going to improve battery life after a certain amount of time. For those that have noticed extreme drops, such as myself, a new battery is a lower cost option that breathes new life into an "older" phone. As I mentioned I'm experiencing nearly triple the run time as compared to my stock battery. Worth looking into in my opinion.

jmxc23

Dec 18, 2012
New York
After extensive use the battery will drain a lot faster then when you first bought the phone. I had the s 3 for close to 2 years and the battery life is still pretty solid just not like it was when I first bought the phone.

zoid_99

Aug 1, 2008
Huntsville, AL
Back to 4.1

I've tried various 4.3 and 4.4.x roms and I keep going back to Cleanrom 7 due to battery life. I guess I am stuck with 4.1 until the ohone is EOL.

Reznor7

Apr 27, 2013
After extensive use the battery will drain a lot faster then when you first bought the phone. I had the s 3 for close to 2 years and the battery life is still pretty solid just not like it was when I first bought the phone.

You'll experience this with any battery-dependent device. Batteries wear out. After two years, you'd probably be surprised how much longer a new battery would last.

prj71

Sep 9, 2010
Here's my thought on battery life.

The OTA 4.3 upgrade is killing it. Battery life was great on 4.1. Wish I would have rooted so I could have shut down the OTA upgrade app.

My GS3 is practically brand new, so I can't blame it on an old battery. Got it for .97 cents on Black Friday back in November. Even better is that Walmart gave me a $100 gift card to take it off their hands for .97.

JerseyFF

May 1, 2010
Chattanooga
Samsung Galaxy Note 10
Well it is pointless to get a new battery when I am due for an upgrade in a few months.

It is a lot cheaper to get a new battery than upgrade! I am beyond happy with my S3 and will be looking for a battery when I hit my 18-24 months with the device.

Of course, I am also running my grandfathered unlimited data so I buy my phones used or outright anyway.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jmxc23

Dec 18, 2012
New York
It is a lot cheaper to get a new battery than upgrade! I am beyond happy with my S3 and will be looking for a battery when I hit my 18-24 months with the device.

Of course, I am also running my grandfathered unlimited data so I buy my phones used or outright anyway.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
So what is your point? I am not buying a new battery for a phone that i already had for 21 months(bought it in 2012) and only going to keep for 3 more months. Yeah it is cheaper to get a new battery but it doesn't make sense if I am going to upgrade to a new phone anyway. Now I have an extra battery that I can't use. That is like upgrading a graphics card to a 5 year old computer knowing that you are going to buy a new computer that is better then the old one. Lastly why wait 18 months to get a new battery when you can upgrade to a better battery(2300mah as oppose to the original 2100mah battery) that is compatible with the S3 now on Amazon and other sites that sell smartphone batteries.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I thought I'd post this after trying numerous Roms and finding that battery life was getting worse. I went to Batteries+ (a chain that sells all sorts of batteries) and replaced my battery a few days ago. I can honestly say that my battery life on ANY ROM is now 14-20+ hours.
    With our s3's approaching the 2 year mark it seems that the stock battery is nearing its life span. But with a new battery this phone is working perfectly. Just thought I'd share my experience.