[Q] IMEI is 0, no EFS backup

Search This thread

afff53

Apr 18, 2012
Recently, I RMA'd my Nexus. When I got the new one, I made a Nandroid backup of my old phone with TWRP, including my EFS. To make a folder for backups on the new Nexus (after rooting etc), I backed up my EFS folder. But, stupid me deleted the folder and then copied the backup of my old phone to the new folder. When I restored the backup, I didn't uncheck the EFS option and after the restore I wasn't getting anymore service. Immediatly I realized I had flashed the EFS from my old Nexus 5. My IMEI is 0, and the IMEI SV is 05 as of now. I tried a factory reset to no avail.

I have attemped to recover the deleted EFS files from my SD card (I used an SD card reader over OTG to backup), but it says they were only recovered partially. Is it worth it to attempt to restore these files, or will that mess up my device more?

Lastly, I still have the IMEI sticker on the back of my replacement. Is there anyway I could "rebuild" the EFS, or insert the IMEI into it to get it to work again?

Any kind of help would be appreciated. I have to send in my old phone in 2 days, so I don't have a lot of time to fix this. Not sure what I'm going to tell support when I say my replacement isn't working.

Thanks.

Reactions: urmilshroff

GUGUITOMTG4

Oct 26, 2011
GuGuPlace
Recently, I RMA'd my Nexus. When I got the new one, I made a Nandroid backup of my old phone with TWRP, including my EFS. To make a folder for backups on the new Nexus (after rooting etc), I backed up my EFS folder. But, stupid me deleted the folder and then copied the backup of my old phone to the new folder. When I restored the backup, I didn't uncheck the EFS option and after the restore I wasn't getting anymore service. Immediatly I realized I had flashed the EFS from my old Nexus 5. My IMEI is 0, and the IMEI SV is 05 as of now. I tried a factory reset to no avail.

I have attemped to recover the deleted EFS files from my SD card (I used an SD card reader over OTG to backup), but it says they were only recovered partially. Is it worth it to attempt to restore these files, or will that mess up my device more?

Lastly, I still have the IMEI sticker on the back of my replacement. Is there anyway I could "rebuild" the EFS, or insert the IMEI into it to get it to work again?

Any kind of help would be appreciated. I have to send in my old phone in 2 days, so I don't have a lot of time to fix this. Not sure what I'm going to tell support when I say my replacement isn't working.

Thanks.

So far you are in trouble, sadly.
read this thread with your same issue http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/help/messed-n5-imei-0-t2750697

afff53

Apr 18, 2012
As I thought. I will try to restore my EFS with the files I got but I doubt it will work.

Looks like I'll have to relock my bootloader and send it back, hoping they won't notice. Is there any specific things you would recommend doing before sending it back in.

afff53

Apr 18, 2012
The honest thing to do would be to send it to LG for warranty repair., They can repair it, rather than sending it to google as an RMA. They can never resell it as new so they lose money on what is essentially your mistake.
I understand it isn't morally correct, but I won't have any phone for however long it takes for them to repair if I send it back. May be selfish, but they make plenty of money anyways. I RMA'd from TMobile, and they said they repair RMA'd phones and then send them to people who request RMAs. You don't think they would be able to do anything to fix it? Also, I thought LG warranty doesn't cover "tampering"?

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
I understand it isn't morally correct, but I won't have any phone for however long it takes for them to repair if I send it back. May be selfish, but they make plenty of money anyways. I RMA'd from TMobile, and they said they repair RMA'd phones and then send them to people who request RMAs. You don't think they would be able to do anything to fix it? Also, I thought LG warranty doesn't cover "tampering"?

Yes it can be fixed quite easily, which is why an RMA is a waste of a perfectly good phone. It just cant be fixed by you as it requires equipment.

BirchBarlow

Oct 6, 2013
Philadelphia

What you're talking about is essentially fraud and no they don't make "plenty of money" but even if they did that is beside the point. Every case of fraud costs them money which they in turn pass on to consumers. Why should I or anyone else have to pay for your negligence?

Reactions: fwayfarer

theesotericone

Sep 22, 2013
You made the mistake not Google or LG. Be a man and own up to your mistake instead of trying to "pass the buck". I'm sure you understood rooting and modding phones voids warranties. I'm sure you weren't planning on making a mistake. You did though. You and only you. Pay LG to fix it for you.

afff53

Apr 18, 2012
You made the mistake not Google or LG. Be a man and own up to your mistake instead of trying to "pass the buck". I'm sure you understood rooting and modding phones voids warranties. I'm sure you weren't planning on making a mistake. You did though. You and only you. Pay LG to fix it for you.

Suppose you're right. How am I supposed to get LG to fix it?

theesotericone

Sep 22, 2013
Suppose you're right. How am I supposed to get LG to fix it?

Call Google and explain exactly what you did. They will refer you to LG for warranty. After that put it in a box and wait to get it back. I doubt the charge will be that much. At the end of the whole thing you'll feel like a better person. And next time back up your EFS first.:cool:

GR0S

Jun 10, 2012
You need box to generate new EFS with your imei. Some repair shops have it.

D

Darth

My neighbor has lots of jewellery, I have none. So what's so wrong with me taking some of theirs??? ;)

payz

Dec 17, 2009
thx but .rar file gone - can you repost it for me?

I'm suffering from IMEI=0 after phone went into weird boot loop. I'm hoping your solution will work, but the file on the russian forum is 404... Can you repost it?
Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Full instructions to restore IMEI from 0

I had a hard time, so I figured this may help someone else fix a broken Nexus 5 with IMEI = 0

Of course, do this at your own risk, I take no responsibility. Thanks goes to vladonru for finding the solution on the russian forums, see thread android.stackexchange.com/questions/85807/nexus-5-imei-0-how-to-restore-imei
    I just translated/shortened/fixed some stuff, and here is full instructions below and all files attached.

NOTE: If you can't find/don't know the phone's IMEI it's laser etched onto the sim card holder (whew).

Change or Repair IMEI
    1. Install the LG driver LG
    2. Install QPST
    3. Copy the entire folder EFS Professional to C drive
    4. Unpack the archive Nexus5 the root of drive C.
    5. Using WUG Nexus toolkit:
    a. Make sure running stock Android 5.0.1
    b. Rooted
    c. If necessary, you can reset the IMEI using backups zero IMEI from the archive. To do this, simply make a backup of your EFS in TWRP, then replace in the folder's backup your files on the distribution of similar make and restore EFS.
    i. If it is already erased and writes 0, then just skip this step.
    d. Advanced tools:
    i. Install bootloader 5.0.0_diag_BOOT.img from folder
    ii. open a command window:
    1. adb shell > su > setprop sys.usb.config diag,adb
    This activates the diagnostic mode on the phone and will be available operations with nvram through com port.
    6. Open EFS Professional:
    a. Click on Qualcomm NV Tools, Hit connect and go to Secure Ops.
    b. Hit Read and check off imei and meid, and enter imei and meid (meid is just imei without last two digits)
    c. Hit Write
    d. Reboot phone and check imei by typing *#06#
    e. If imei still 0 > do b above again, then Read (note esn now appears), then Write again (ignore the errors) > Reboot and check, should be working.
    f. Repair 3G/LTE:
    i. Install the diagnostic bootloader again and run the setprop shell command again
    g. Open QPST Configuration from Windows programs
    h. Click Ports tab, Add new port, deselect secure ports only and should now see the serial port with phone connected (if not, then the serial drivers aren’t installed properly  Use WUG driver support to remove all android drivers and plug the phone in again to install from windows update)
    i. Click Start Start Clients > Software Download
    j. Go to Backup tab and click Start Leave SPC with all zeros (note file location of backup)
    k. Go to Restore tab, check “Allow phone / file ESN mismatch”, restore from the NEXUS5.qcn (from the folder), again leave SPC with all zeros here
    l. Now click Browse next to QCN File, locate the backup from j above and now enter in SPC: 308508 > Start
    m. Reboot phone > everything should be working!
    7. Make complete EFS backup!!!
    Hey, got it all done, i made a mistake on step:
    i. Install bootloader 5.0.0_diag_BOOT.img from folder.

I tried to flash it as bootloader but instead it needed to be flashed as boot(kernel) after that all went easily. Even installed windows 7 in bootcamp for all that, but i think i would have made it in my virtualized windows 10 as well.

Big big thanks for this tutorial. :good::good::good::good:

i about made the same mistake...but noticed it was 10 mb the size of boot(kernel)...hopefully he"ll change it...i got mine running as well...!!!!

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

@payz this method worked to prefectiong....just letting you know...change the the tuteriol so it doesn't say flash bootloader boot....rather as boot/kernel....other than that it worked just great!!!!! thank you so much!!!
    I am stuck on 6h point:

I can't see serial port so I tried to remove drivers and install new like in this advise, but still nothing. Probably I am doing sth wrong with this drivers but maybe it is sth else?

If you are using windows, check Device Manager. I couldn't find com ports directly from qpst, but i checked the number on device manager and added it manually.

What you're talking about is essentially fraud and no they don't make "plenty of money" but even if they did that is beside the point. Every case of fraud costs them money which they in turn pass on to consumers. Why should I or anyone else have to pay for your negligence?