Xperia upgrade: HD2 or HD7 ?

Search This thread

sandrinopi

Dec 1, 2008
Tuscany
Hello all.

I am going to replace my X1 to a newer and faster phone.

I decided to remain with WM, even if I briefly considered switching to Android or iPhone.

The first time I saw the upcoming HD7 specs I felt really disappointed, especially for the non-removable ram and the almost-obsolete CPU being used.

Now, considering that running WM7 on HD2 should be quite feasible (I don't really need WM7 anyway), I don't see any good reason why I should get an HD7. HD2 is also currently becoming cheaper in the last few weeks.

Besides audio surround, that I don't need, what's a real plus of HD7 compared to HD2 ?

Thanks
S

ceesheim

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 11, 2009
No Android Fanboys Please !!!
Hello all.

I am going to replace my X1 to a newer and faster phone.

I decided to remain with WM, even if I briefly considered switching to Android or iPhone.

The first time I saw the upcoming HD7 specs I felt really disappointed, especially for the non-removable ram and the almost-obsolete CPU being used.

Now, considering that running WM7 on HD2 should be quite feasible (I don't really need WM7 anyway), I don't see any good reason why I should get an HD7. HD2 is also currently becoming cheaper in the last few weeks.

Besides audio surround, that I don't need, what's a real plus of HD7 compared to HD2 ?

Thanks
S

LOL , the kickstand .

N8ter

Sep 1, 2010
Why would u even consider an HD2... To tinker? Lol. That phone is a dead end if you prioritize support and productivity (yes, I have one).

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

jagan2

Recognized Developer
Jul 8, 2009
what's a real plus of HD7 compared to HD2 ?

LOL. Wake up man, HD2 is dead i.e., Windows Mobile 6.x is dead, you will not see anymore new app for it (may be some). And within 2 years it will be completely dead.

Seriously you want to spend money on an almost dead phone? :eek:

As you said you wanna stay with WM that is Windows :D

No need to think just go for Windows Phone 7 - HD7!

domenukk

Jan 11, 2010
Android is doing grate on hd2, meego and win phone 7 are probably on their way... so hd2 is a grate phone still... almost why would you spend much money on a worse looking phone with same specs?
So yeah... i just bought my hd2 via ebay ... and I'm lucky!
But winmo 6.5 sucks balls

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA App

sandrinopi

Dec 1, 2008
Tuscany
You may all be right guys, but considering the hardwares I simply feel that an HD2 running WM7 is simply an HD7 that has a price 20% lower.

Again, an HD2 running WM7, not running WM6.x.

Where do I go wrong ?

Itaintrite

Feb 10, 2008
New York.
Google Pixel 6 Pro
The problem is if we indeed get WP7 running on the HD2, I doubt it would be as fast as on the HD7. And there might even be (unseen for now) problems (kinda like how Android is. Great, but far from perfect).

If you want to stick with Windows, I would suggest waiting to see how WP7 turns out on the HD2 before buying.

Bulldog

Jan 26, 2005
I am currently in same situation. I need a new phone but can’t decide which OS to choose from.

WM6.5X is aged OS and not much new 3rd party application are made currently for it. However MS still releasing new builds. Seen and using builds like the # 24635 or higher the speed and stability has improved significantly.

WM7 is new seams fast and stable, but completely New OS many of the Basic futures missing compare to WM6.5. For my own opinion the UI is just too simple. It reminds me to Internet page that made just with basic CSS. The biggest disappointment that I have with WM7 is the missing Sync functionality with my MS outlook and Not able to Sync certain MS office files from my Desktop. Furthermore AGAIN the UI, even though you have 3.8” screen but mostly 2/3 is used all other areas is just simple Big Fonts and empty area????
Yes I trust MS will further improve and implement things which are not yet there but definitely they will need TIME. Even with such company and with such resources they can’t do it all at least before 1-2 years’ time.

Android OS and Seen the new upcoming device HTC Desire HD seems the next choice for me after WM6.5.X! HTC DHD has very similar specs like the HTC HD2. However I still struggling with Android because of Not able directly Sync with outlook (there are some 3rd party application though) but mostly because I have never used one for few days to see hands on the limitations.

However having all those thoughts I still considering highly to getting the HD2. Because It still has :
-One of best hardware spec after 1 year
- it has still the best OS that can sync with desktop and MS Outlook and make fully use of Calendar, TASK, NOTES, Contacts, Categories
- There are still tons of old but still good application’s which do the job
- the Price of the HD2 is at least 30-50% cheaper than others.

Be frank if I can get the HTC desire HD with a good price and Android has not much limitation with Sync with desktop then I might consider to give up on HD2 and WM6.X or else I am thinking to get HD2 and see How the WM7 looks alike in 1-2 years’ time

N8ter

Sep 1, 2010
Android is doing grate on hd2, meego and win phone 7 are probably on their way... so hd2 is a grate phone still... almost why would you spend much money on a worse looking phone with same specs?
So yeah... i just bought my hd2 via ebay ... and I'm lucky!
But winmo 6.5 sucks balls

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA App

Tinkering...

Like I said.

Some people just love the neverending wait for workable (and often bugg as hell) ROMs. The rest of us just want great devices that work.

My expeeiences with the HD2 tells me that it is not that device.

Why do you think its price is dropping like a brick despite it having better specs than over half of the "high end" android phones on the market?

That phome sucks, and your chances of havimg to replace it multiple times after you buy it is much higher than average. They have issues with overheating/reboots requiring the main board to be replaced. WM6.5 is crap - I don't care how well it Syncs to a computer.

No HD video recording - the still camera is also terrible. hTC Sense does very little to save this pjome with the types of deep modifications they've made. 80% of WinMo apps are made for Stylus use and the browsers suck. If you go to Opera 10 u wont have pinch and the screen scrolls oddly.

You can sit here and give all excuses you want, but that's jusy the way it is. Dual booting Andtoid is not viable for the majority of users, and who cares about Meego (rhetorical)?

You're better off gettimg a good phone and experimenting with OS-01 in an emulator on a PC IMO.

N8ter

Sep 1, 2010
I am currently in same situation. I need a new phone but can’t decide which OS to choose from.

WM6.5X is aged OS and not much new 3rd party application are made currently for it. However MS still releasing new builds. Seen and using builds like the # 24635 or higher the speed and stability has improved significantly.

WM7 is new seams fast and stable, but completely New OS many of the Basic futures missing compare to WM6.5. For my own opinion the UI is just too simple. It reminds me to Internet page that made just with basic CSS. The biggest disappointment that I have with WM7 is the missing Sync functionality with my MS outlook and Not able to Sync certain MS office files from my Desktop. Furthermore AGAIN the UI, even though you have 3.8” screen but mostly 2/3 is used all other areas is just simple Big Fonts and empty area????
Yes I trust MS will further improve and implement things which are not yet there but definitely they will need TIME. Even with such company and with such resources they can’t do it all at least before 1-2 years’ time.

Android OS and Seen the new upcoming device HTC Desire HD seems the next choice for me after WM6.5.X! HTC DHD has very similar specs like the HTC HD2. However I still struggling with Android because of Not able directly Sync with outlook (there are some 3rd party application though) but mostly because I have never used one for few days to see hands on the limitations.

However having all those thoughts I still considering highly to getting the HD2. Because It still has :
-One of best hardware spec after 1 year
- it has still the best OS that can sync with desktop and MS Outlook and make fully use of Calendar, TASK, NOTES, Contacts, Categories
- There are still tons of old but still good application’s which do the job
- the Price of the HD2 is at least 30-50% cheaper than others.

Be frank if I can get the HTC desire HD with a good price and Android has not much limitation with Sync with desktop then I might consider to give up on HD2 and WM6.X or else I am thinking to get HD2 and see How the WM7 looks alike in 1-2 years’ time

Even at release WP7 will offer better desktop synchronization than Android. I wonder if you people ever do research on your own, or just expect us to regurgitate everything to you on a forum...

Bulldog

Jan 26, 2005
Even at release WP7 will offer better desktop synchronization than Android. I wonder if you people ever do research on your own, or just expect us to regurgitate everything to you on a forum...

First, I never said Android has better Sync then WM7!!!!. Be Frank I really don’t know how good or bad android is with desktop sync. Or else I would have come to end of my decision.
But be frank I do have expected that MS the should have at the beginning better integration of MS office and desktop sync then they going to have now. I mean they are the maker of MS office, Windows desktop etc. I wonder how one will transfer Office documents, PDF files etc. to the device and able to work with those documents without having a file explorer on the device. Where is the SD card that I can use as Mass Storage and transfer files from one computer to another?
it is a joke that I have Windows desktop which has all my information on it then I have my windows phone just beside of it But I can’t Sync calendar, contact, Notes, Task, Documents without going through a server. well I can understand that MS trying to push the sales of exchange , SharePoint servers, usage of Live/Hotmail’s as they wanted make money with sales of their other software’s or advertisements in Hotmail/bings’s. But as a user which paying about 700-800USD for device I wanted to have the choice to been my own master.

All the hardware problem you have mentioned are not the issue of the OS but rather it is the problem of HTC which also going to manufacture some of the WM7 devises. HTC is pushing out so many different devices and trying of course making much more money that they can. Naturally the quality
Coming back to Wm6.5! I have/had a HTC HD which is obviously hardware wise much less then HD2 but with cooking my own ROM the device and also the OS has performed greatly.
I could have few application open running at the background and switch between them as I like but still for whole week I didn’t need to reset ones. Yes I agree that so many cooked ROMS are out there which have so many crap in it. Furthermore so many guys loading so many different application I wonder how many guys really need some of those regular base.

Well it become again long, at the end everyone is free to choose what one things is right

N8ter

Sep 1, 2010
And google isn't pushimg the use of gmail and google search with android. You're startimg to soumd fanatical, so I won't respond anymore.

And lol @ worrying about Synching media or documents. WP7 will do all that flawlessly via Zune and SkyDrive/Office Web Apps.

Sure, you can multitask on HD2, but ur battery will run out faster than a hooker runs out of condoms. Have fun with that.

Multitasking on smartphones is overrated, anyways. Just something fanbois talk about when an OS they won't use anyways doesn't have it (usually before they use that OS and know absolutely nothing about it, to boot).

Just the lack of decent 3rd party apps will be enough to kill off WM6.5, and of course you'll still be waiting for God knows who to fix the bugs.

I'm not arguing about a phone I own with someone who has never used it... Seriously.

satchef1

Dec 21, 2008
I'd go with either the HD7 or Desire/HD personally. Buying a HD2 is going to leave you with a choice between poor hacked versions of modern OS's or an abandoned OS with diminishing support.

The hacks are great for existing owners but they aren't really a reason to buy one. Too buggy/unstable.

doministry

Sep 25, 2008
Bytom, Poland
doministry.blogspot.com
My opinion: for now - get HD2 definitely.

WP 7 has many annoying limitations
which will effectively hold back the platform for over half a year.

And don't listen to idiots saying "WM 6.5 is dead".
I mean - what dead?
Now the platform has thousands of apps,
it will take some time for WP 7 to reach this level.

Devices are working, not disappearing or exploding because of WP7.

WP7 will be a treat when Microsoft will stop it's idiotic policy
and let users use their devices.

Wait for some time for WP7.

Casey_boy

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 2, 2010
Can you wait til Christmas? If so, then do! (or, at least, that's what I'm doing and I already have a HD2)

You'll get to see whether WP7 has been ported to the HD2 and, if it has, how it is running.

You'll also get some information about WP7 and whether, or not, it is going down well. That might help influence your decision. Equally, you'll get to see how people are reacting to the HD7.

Oh, and the big plus, I imagine that the HD2 will have dramatically dropped in price and, you never know, the HD7 might have dropped a little, or even some newer phones will have come out...

Casey

N8ter

Sep 1, 2010
WM6.5 is dead. Most of the better app devs have either moved to other platforms, or moving to WP7.

The apps exist, but most of them aren't that good, are badly maintained (if at all), or are clunky as hell (side product of the underlying platform).

Xuan Toan

Feb 1, 2010
HD2 is so great. It can run WM6.5 and Android smoothly. I think it will become the first one can run 3 OSs. You can now switch btw WM, Android easily. HD2 is a great WM6.5 phone, a good Desire, Nexus, Desire HD, Desire Z. HD2 is also a Evo one without 4G funtion (3G, wifi, hotspot are all working).

HTC HD2 Leo
Rom: Dutty's N4s V3
Radio: 2.15.50
Android Build: Mdeejay FroYo HD, Z, Lex, EvoRevoluton...

BELMOT

Dec 19, 2009
Toronto
www.xda-developers.com
Having 2 OS in your device is a huge advantage, belive me, I love having WM 6.5.x and Android Froyo in my Device... HD2 is my best choice

Also it has the requirments for Windows Phone7, so there is a good chance to have it in your HD2 ( there will be some bugs at the biganing )

BELMOT

PzykoSkillz

Jul 31, 2008
Stafford
N8ter, is it possible that you don't like WinMo? lol

I have an HD2 and love it, but would try to wait like others have said to see about WP7. You never want to get stuff when it first comes out b/c of HW/SW issues.

Andrewtst

Aug 4, 2009
Johor
I won't get HD2 due to:
  • This phone is old. (I know the spec similar / same with HD7 but it feel like getting old device).
  • Official support till WM 6.5.x
  • WM 6.5.x is dead product soon.
  • Soon no more release of WM 6.5.x apps.
  • BAD quality LCD.

I get HD7 because:
  • Design better than HD2.
  • New Phone.
  • Official support WP7.
  • No worried on apps in coming future.
  • Better S-LCD screen.
  • New experience, what for take HD2 since you own X1 before, it is kind of bored owning same things.

** Kindly take notes, HD7 not support surround sound, only HD7 surround edition support surround sound.

Last edited: