[APP] Simple Stopwatch and Timer [Android App 2.1+ ]

Search This thread

spawn782

Jun 5, 2010
Hi, I am new to the forum and just built my first app, and I wanted to put it here for you guys to use and give me feedback about what you like, what you don't like if you think its useful?
I hope this is the right forum and I am not breaking any rules by posting here.( I read the sticky first)

NEW! Interval Training Mode Added.

Unfortunately, I decided to go ad supported as I spent many weeks on this
donations amounted to less that $4.00 :(

However I am offering the paid / donate version (no ads and can save more exercises in the interval training mode)
free of charge to those who helped me and are continually helping me with the development of this via feedback and suggestions.
Just email me and I will send you a copy.

Let me know what features you would like that this lacks.

Its a free Stopwatch with three modes
1) Stopwatch with Lap Timer
2) Countdown Timer
3) Repeating Countdown Timer (Select repeating Timer when setting countdown time) E.g Alarm beeps every 1 minute, can be used for circuit training etc)

I also added a Lap Stats function which shows your fastest lap, slowest lap and avg speed.

Version 1.0.7 (update)

• Elapsed Time and Remaining Time on Notification Bar (Updates every minute) -c00ller
  • Fixed Menu Settings (User preferences should work now) - lots of reports about this one :)
  • Added Lap counter text in landscape mode. - fifarunner
  • Automatically remove zeros, when user enters time via keypad. - c00ller

Updates

• Added User Preferences to enable / disable haptic feedback
  • Changed the UI/ Layout a bit, you can now select modes by pressing icons at the bottom of the screen
  • Added a service that should keep the Stopwatch from timing out, I would really appreciate it if you can let me know if the problem still exists.
  • Added an option to allow the stop button to register as a lap.
  • Reduced the font size to make landscape mode work on LDPI devices
More features coming soon...hopefully I will be able to roll out updates a bit faster in the future.

Features and Issues requested and pointed out by users...Thanks Everyone for your continuing feedback.

Current Issue
-Need to create service to keep watch running in background [Gusar]
-Landscape on ldpi devices not showing correctly [fiffarunner]

Feature Requests by Members
-Add multiple timers [JVogler]
-Fix Lap layout in landscape [Alouch]
-Lap recorded on Stop and export laptimes [JimmyN]
-Add vibration rather than sound option on alarm [A.Priori]
-Save timers [treesurf]
-Custom Alarm tones [beardedchild]

EDIT: I also forgot to mention I used a Tmobile G2 for my testing which has a hdpi screen, 480x800.. so if you guys with different screen resolutions and tablets can let me know if you have any problems with the way the program layout etc please let me know, I would really appreciate your feedback. I tried using the emulator but it would crash frequently on my pc.
Screen shots

screenshot1is.png

screenshot2bz.png

screenshot3cp.png

screenshot4ab.png

Market Link

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.shawnbe.droidwatch
qrcodeh.png

Hope you enjoy and feedback and suggestions would be really appreciated.

Last edited:

Gusar321

May 5, 2011
Sweeeet! Simple, but does the job. And looks good while doing it too.

One problem: Exit the app while the countdown is running and when the timer reaches zero, I'm greeted by the alarm and a force close message.
And a suggestion: An icon in the statusbar if there's a countdown running in the background.

Last edited:
Reactions: spawn782

spawn782

Jun 5, 2010
Thanks a million Gusar321. I will definitly look into that bug and thanks also for the suggestion, I really appreciate the feedback.

Reactions: meazz1

spawn782

Jun 5, 2010
Hey Gusar321, just wanted to let you know I updated the app and added the notification feature in the status bar. Also credited you on the update in the market. (Whats new section) Thanks again

JVogler

Mar 3, 2010
I'm so disgusted with SPB Time (a not cheap paid app) missing alarms and draining battery with no support from developers...I uninstalled. I miss the repeating countdown timer for my heavy-bag work though. Going to give this a try and report back.

Will be running on Atrix BTW

EDIT: Just tried, would be great to have multiple timers at once. One to sound every minute, and then a different sound every 3 minutes. A way to achieve that would make it possible to do a whole workout without ever having to reset timer.

It looks great so far though!

Last edited:

spawn782

Jun 5, 2010
Thanks for the feedback JVogler, I am glad that you mentioned that, because that is on my list a timer that can be set at different intervals. Right now I am working on keeping the timer running in the background as a Service, (thanks Gusar for reporting the issue).

Reactions: JVogler

spawn782

Jun 5, 2010
Wow, thanks A.Priori , you guys are really giving me the ecouragment to keep improving and developing this app more. I really appreciate it.

By sometime next week, I will release a list of the features that I plan on putting in this app.

Alouch47

Jan 24, 2011
Paris
Hi spawn782

thanks for the app, nice and sleek.
I was missing this since I go Cyanogen.

Just something with the landscape mode, I think it should be redesigned a little.
As you can see on screenshot, the bottom is half cut when taking lap, and when taking new lap, it stays on the first (when it can maybe autoscroll ?).
Maybe you can just remove the grey at the top ?

Otherwise, very nice app, and keep your effort updating it ;)
It's a 5 star for me.

Screenshot :
screenshot-1313046252698.png

odyon

Dec 15, 2009
very nice indeed! thanks :)

One question, why does it need internet access, as you don't have any advertisements?

fifarunnerr

Sep 7, 2010
Ok, did some testing on my HTC Wildfire(240x320), works well in portrait.

But...Landscape doesn't:

This is in timer and in stopwatch mode, so landscape needs some more time. If you'd like me to test some stuff, pm me or send me an email ;)

spawn782

Jun 5, 2010
Thanks Alouch47, I will work on the landscape mode. I see fifarunnerr also has a problem with the landscape mode so I will definitly have to do some more work on that (thanks fifarunnerr for the offer to help, I may send you an apk after I am finished with the updates).
I do have a question about the landscape mode though, I was thinking that maybe its a mode that you would use in a scenario when you are exercising and you put the phone down a distance away from you. This is the reason why I made the numbers much bigger in this mode, so you can it from a further distance. In such a mode do you think the laptimer will be useful? I was thinking t maybe just cut off that part in landscape mode? You would still be able to record laps, but they will be visible when you return to portrait.
What do you think about that idea? Is the laptimer critical to users in landscape mode?

With regards to the Internet Access that Odyon asked about, its because I run analytics in the program. The reason being is that the anroid market analytics is really delayed for me. Today is the 11th of August and latest android market data (statistics) is is still on the 8th of August :(

JimmyN

Feb 4, 2007
Have to say that this shows promise, I would like to make an observation, let's say I'm using the stopwatch to time a 3 lap race, I click lap at the end of lap 1 and the time for lap 1 is shown, the same at the end of lap 2 the lap time is shown (lap 2) however I click stop at the end of the 3rd lap ( end of the race) and I would expect to see the lap time for lap 3 however this doesn't appear can this be implemented?

Also a useful function would be the ability to export your lap times as a text file.

looking forward to further updates.

Last edited:

spawn782

Jun 5, 2010
yes that can be implemented, (lap on stop) and will be added to feature requests. I will update the first post

mhut

Aug 9, 2010
Very well designed, simplicity is the way to beauty.
I´m also missed the timer on my cyanogen rom so, thanks so much for your work.
Best regards.

c00ller

Jun 10, 2010
This is a very nice looking timer, however in terms of functionality and quick use, I can't find anything better than UltraChron Stopwatch
Notice how on the bottom there is a very easy and intuitive way to switch between stopwatch and countdown modes. Your app requires pressing Menu, Set Timer, adjusting the time, Set Timer button, then start. With UltraChron you click Timer, adjust time, then start. I just think your app's current method of using the same screen for two functions is a bit less elegant than it could be. Another feature it has that I don't think I can live without is it shows time left in the notification bar when you have a timer on, and updates every minute with the number of minutes left. I am not trying to tell you to copy this app, I am just saying this app has been around for a long time and you can learn from its ideas.
Also, your app only allows the numbers to be changed with the arrows. I think it would also be nice to be able to press the number itself to change it directly via on screen keyboard (just like changing alarm clock times, which give both up and down buttons as well as direct input).
I'm looking forward to seeing the growth of this app, and I hope my suggestions have helped.

BTW this is my post number 1337 :D

spawn782

Jun 5, 2010
Thanks c00ller, I appreciate your feedback and opinions and I agree with your comments (great points about the usability) and they are on my list to be implemented, but I figured it would be best for me to get it out first and then start rolling out the updates as I get them completed. Thanks for your feedback and I will implement these changes over the next couple of updates.

Last edited:
Reactions: c00ller

spawn782

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Guys, I just wanted to let you know that I updated the app a bit. Sorry I have not been able to add all of the features suggested so far, but I spent most of the time trying to fix bugs that caused force closes. I hope that I have fixed most of the bugs so that I can now roll out feature updates quicker that before.

Again, thank you very much for your feedback and support.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, I am new to the forum and just built my first app, and I wanted to put it here for you guys to use and give me feedback about what you like, what you don't like if you think its useful?
    I hope this is the right forum and I am not breaking any rules by posting here.( I read the sticky first)

NEW! Interval Training Mode Added.

Unfortunately, I decided to go ad supported as I spent many weeks on this
    donations amounted to less that $4.00 :(

However I am offering the paid / donate version (no ads and can save more exercises in the interval training mode)
    free of charge to those who helped me and are continually helping me with the development of this via feedback and suggestions.
    Just email me and I will send you a copy.

Let me know what features you would like that this lacks.

Its a free Stopwatch with three modes
    1) Stopwatch with Lap Timer
    2) Countdown Timer
    3) Repeating Countdown Timer (Select repeating Timer when setting countdown time) E.g Alarm beeps every 1 minute, can be used for circuit training etc)

I also added a Lap Stats function which shows your fastest lap, slowest lap and avg speed.

Version 1.0.7 (update)

• Elapsed Time and Remaining Time on Notification Bar (Updates every minute) -c00ller
    • Fixed Menu Settings (User preferences should work now) - lots of reports about this one :)
    • Added Lap counter text in landscape mode. - fifarunner
    • Automatically remove zeros, when user enters time via keypad. - c00ller

Updates

• Added User Preferences to enable / disable haptic feedback
    • Changed the UI/ Layout a bit, you can now select modes by pressing icons at the bottom of the screen
    • Added a service that should keep the Stopwatch from timing out, I would really appreciate it if you can let me know if the problem still exists.
    • Added an option to allow the stop button to register as a lap.
    • Reduced the font size to make landscape mode work on LDPI devices
    More features coming soon...hopefully I will be able to roll out updates a bit faster in the future.

Features and Issues requested and pointed out by users...Thanks Everyone for your continuing feedback.

Current Issue
    -Need to create service to keep watch running in background [Gusar]
    -Landscape on ldpi devices not showing correctly [fiffarunner]

Feature Requests by Members
    -Add multiple timers [JVogler]
    -Fix Lap layout in landscape [Alouch]
    -Lap recorded on Stop and export laptimes [JimmyN]
    -Add vibration rather than sound option on alarm [A.Priori]
    -Save timers [treesurf]
    -Custom Alarm tones [beardedchild]

EDIT: I also forgot to mention I used a Tmobile G2 for my testing which has a hdpi screen, 480x800.. so if you guys with different screen resolutions and tablets can let me know if you have any problems with the way the program layout etc please let me know, I would really appreciate your feedback. I tried using the emulator but it would crash frequently on my pc.
    Screen shots

screenshot1is.png

screenshot2bz.png

screenshot3cp.png

screenshot4ab.png

Market Link

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.shawnbe.droidwatch
    qrcodeh.png

Hope you enjoy and feedback and suggestions would be really appreciated.
    I updated the code, I think this should take care off the force close when you leave the timer running and destroy the activity (using the back button rather than home button)

Other minor changes
    -instead of the alarm dialog to shut off the alarm, now you press the stop button
    -instead of the dialog with the zero warning, the set timer dialog shows up.

I hope this takes care of the force close
    Sweeeet! Simple, but does the job. And looks good while doing it too.

One problem: Exit the app while the countdown is running and when the timer reaches zero, I'm greeted by the alarm and a force close message.
    And a suggestion: An icon in the statusbar if there's a countdown running in the background.
    Thanks a million Gusar321. I will definitly look into that bug and thanks also for the suggestion, I really appreciate the feedback.
    I'm sorry, but I can't test the fc issue, as there's no way of getting no alarm sound back again :p

Another little thing I discovered. If I use the stopwatch, close the app without resetting the timer and open the app again the last time is displayed again. But the laps saved the last time are not displayed anymore. So either I would display the last time + the last laps or in stopwatch mode don't show the last time. I think in this mode it is not as necessary as in the other modes.