[ROOT] Instructions for obtaining root access!

Search This thread

edgan

Apr 13, 2011
Here is the method I discovered for root access. Yes, it requires the HD Station. There is currently no way around that. You have to download and extract pulse.tar in webtop. There is no other way I know of that will work. You can use adb or Android Terminal Emulator instead of ssh, but you are on your own. With those, expect problems with your PATH.

I have surprise for another day now.

Please donate with the "Donate to me" button on the top left of this post, if you are willing. I don't promise anything new in the future. It would just be a thank you for this hack.

Here is a very nicely done pdf with screenshots, done by twospirits.
Instructions with screenshots

Here is a very nice Youtube tutorial:
Youtube tutorial

Requirements:
HD Station
Sprint Photon
HDMI cable that came with HD Station
Monitor or TV with open HDMI port
Wifi connection on the phone
Computer with network access to the phone

Steps:
1. Install Superuser from the Market
2. Install SSHDroid from the Market
3. Open SSHDroid, and make sure it is listening on port 2222
4. Connect Photon to HD Station
5. Connect HDMI to HD Station and TV/Monitor
6. Turn TV/Monitor on
7. Change TV/Monitor input to HDMI
8. Open Firefox in webtop
9. Go to http://higgs.cygnusx-1.org/~edgan/pulse.tar
10. Open it instead of saving
11. Extract pulse.tar to /var/tmp
12. Connect to phone via ssh at ip address mentioned in SSHDroid and port 2222
13. Type /var/tmp/pulse/pa_race
14. Type /var/tmp/pulse/install-su.sh
15. Type rm -rf /var/tmp/pulse*

SSH:

Windows:
http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/latest/x86/putty.exe

Linux, in terminal window:
ssh -p 2222 root@ip-address-mentioned-in-SSHDroid

Mac, in terminal window:
ssh -p 2222 root@ipaddress-mentioned-in-SSHDroid

Thank you bane449!
Thank you PAulyhoffman!
Thank you Brandon15811!
Thank you Yay!
Thank you twospirits!

Last edited:

PAulyhoffman

Jul 25, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This is some great work Edgan.

Might see a spike in Dock sales, unknown is working on webtop over hdmi right now so if someone can just "borrow" a dock to root they will still be able to use webtop with out it.

manekineko

Jul 26, 2009
Hmmm should be able to just do this all by ConnectBot as well, eh?

Unrooting should be as simple as deleting /system/bin/su and uninstalling Superuser, right?

For people that have seen the webtop in action before, is it activated immediately upon plugging it in or do you need to plug in the HDMI as well? Why are the keyboard and mouse necessary, are there no on-screen equivalents on webtop?

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
Awesome job here gentleman :) cant wait to get this thing rooted

Sent from my MB855 using XDA App

dis39tif

Sep 25, 2007
Is this a permanent root or a temporary one that we'll need to reapply each time we reboot? Great job regardless!

Reactions: korogod

sonicdivx

Sep 4, 2007
edgan,

Nice work, enjoyed watching you guys work last night on IRC.

So has anybody installed apps like Titanium Backup that require root?

If so off to get me a dock.

Devi0124

Dec 1, 2010
My will power is getting weaker and weaker.. Im trying to hold out for the SGS2 but these threads make it tough.

WrlsFanatic

Jul 14, 2010
My question is, does anyone have a custom recovery installed on it? If you can root the system and put a custom recovery on it, then you're good to go.

mxmarcus

Jun 14, 2010
This is great!
Now I have a reason to get the HD station. I was waiting for them to to start selling the webtop!!

e-motion

Jun 8, 2007
Wait. Are you saying Photon wont see a CWM recovery due to locked bootloader?

Sent from my MB855 using XDA App

You need s-off to flash a recovery afaik, so until the bootloader gets unlocked, we're S.O.L.

Has anyone tried to uninstall bloatware and to run a wireless tether solution yet ? Can't wait to receive my photon tomorrow...

jwischka

Jun 14, 2010
You need s-off to flash a recovery afaik, so until the bootloader gets unlocked, we're S.O.L.

Has anyone tried to uninstall bloatware and to run a wireless tether solution yet ? Can't wait to receive my photon tomorrow...

Uninstalling <most> bloatware works without root.

Haven't tried a wireless tether.

redhatter

Oct 12, 2006
Got to say I got the web dock and real like the web dock....just leave the doc on my hdtv and with the phone on it my TV is now INTERNET enabled .....posted from my tv/webdock/phone

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is the method I discovered for root access. Yes, it requires the HD Station. There is currently no way around that. You have to download and extract pulse.tar in webtop. There is no other way I know of that will work. You can use adb or Android Terminal Emulator instead of ssh, but you are on your own. With those, expect problems with your PATH.

I have surprise for another day now.

Please donate with the "Donate to me" button on the top left of this post, if you are willing. I don't promise anything new in the future. It would just be a thank you for this hack.

Here is a very nicely done pdf with screenshots, done by twospirits.
    Instructions with screenshots

Here is a very nice Youtube tutorial:
    Youtube tutorial

Requirements:
    HD Station
    Sprint Photon
    HDMI cable that came with HD Station
    Monitor or TV with open HDMI port
    Wifi connection on the phone
    Computer with network access to the phone

Steps:
    1. Install Superuser from the Market
    2. Install SSHDroid from the Market
    3. Open SSHDroid, and make sure it is listening on port 2222
    4. Connect Photon to HD Station
    5. Connect HDMI to HD Station and TV/Monitor
    6. Turn TV/Monitor on
    7. Change TV/Monitor input to HDMI
    8. Open Firefox in webtop
    9. Go to http://higgs.cygnusx-1.org/~edgan/pulse.tar
    10. Open it instead of saving
    11. Extract pulse.tar to /var/tmp
    12. Connect to phone via ssh at ip address mentioned in SSHDroid and port 2222
    13. Type /var/tmp/pulse/pa_race
    14. Type /var/tmp/pulse/install-su.sh
    15. Type rm -rf /var/tmp/pulse*

SSH:

Windows:
    http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/latest/x86/putty.exe

Linux, in terminal window:
    ssh -p 2222 root@ip-address-mentioned-in-SSHDroid

Mac, in terminal window:
    ssh -p 2222 root@ipaddress-mentioned-in-SSHDroid

Thank you bane449!
    Thank you PAulyhoffman!
    Thank you Brandon15811!
    Thank you Yay!
    Thank you twospirits!
    Tylerl....if you are successful, could you please post a step by step "how to" that would help "special" people like me to accomplish the 90 second in and out? I thought about doing this too but I am concerned that I would take more like 90 minutes to do it!

The rooting pilgrimage to the Sprint store was successful. Total elapsed time: 180 seconds.

Install connectbot and superuser before heading over to the sprint store.

Saunter over to the dock, plug in your phone. Select webtop, and wait for it to set up and load. Firefox will automatically launch.

I created a tinyurl for the download that would be easier to remember: tinyurl.com/photonroot

Download, extract to /var/tmp, and you're free to take your phone out of the dock. You can leave the store now if you're in a hurry.

Fire up connectbot, and select "local" from the dropdown on the left, and hit return to start the session.

Type: /var/tmp/pulse/pa_race
    You're now staring at a root prompt.

Type: /var/tmp/pulse/install-su.sh
    Persistent root now installed

Type: rm -rf /var/tmp/pulse
    Evidence now deleted

Start the Superuser application -- it should tell you that it's going to update the su binary. That's fine. Now, go install something interesting like Wifi Tether.
    I have verified that Wifi tether works via the Wifi Tether App on the market once root is obtained.
    No need to bee rude i.thought i could help. I need to learn more. Just kno the only dumb question is one the goes un asked. I appologize for fillin the post. I will read more an comment less

Sent from my Phony Droid
    Its not a matter of being rude. But you have to understand that the instructions on the first page is pretty straightforward, plus this thread is not like the other threads that run in the hundreds of pages so reading these 12 pages isn't too much to ask.

But since it seems that this is going to continue anyway, I took the liberty of creating a more thorough step by step with images for those that prefer more detail and hopefully this will curtail so many questions to the devs and leave them to continue working on these hacks instead of answering (the same ) questions.

Now mind you, I want to make it clear that even though I did the pdf below with images, all credit goes to member edgan for finding this exploit as well as giving us the instructions. So please donate if you can to his account (both listed in the first post of this thread as well as on the detailed step by step pdf below.

TS out

Photon Root Detailed Instructions by edgan with images.
    Can anyone explain this for me? Just trying to get an idea as to why the dock is necessary. Thanks

Sent from my MB855 using XDA Premium App

The dock is necessary because the webtop application that is launched via dock only, provides an exploit that is used to obtain SU permissions.