[READ FIRST] [REF] Dictionary for n00b - What is.../What does ...mean? (2011/01/17)

Search This thread

brberie

Dec 22, 2011
pittsburgh
Couple questions and a bit more :)

1.Does not LG windows/linux GUI exist which allows to flash/recover an image from PC via adb shell using phone built-in bootloader?

2. Does custom rom exist which has absolute minimum of software? I've noticed that many apps have been started without my consent. Why? Who does it? How to avoid?

3. Where do widgets like calendar located? I replaced via titanium backup one calendar with another(uninstall-recover) and it isn't working anymore. Not a problem to fix but very curious to know why.

Thanks to those who have patience to share their knowledge! Thanks teachers! Thanks colleagues.

viv_jen

Aug 9, 2011
Mumbai
ASUS ZenFone 8
Couple questions and a bit more :)

1.Does not LG windows/linux GUI exist which allows to flash/recover an image from PC via adb shell using phone built-in bootloader?

2. Does custom rom exist which has absolute minimum of software? I've noticed that many apps have been started without my consent. Why? Who does it? How to avoid?

3. Where do widgets like calendar located? I replaced via titanium backup one calendar with another(uninstall-recover) and it isn't working anymore. Not a problem to fix but very curious to know why.

Thanks to those who have patience to share their knowledge! Thanks teachers! Thanks colleagues.

not sure if my answers are 100% right but here you go

1.for flashing in windows your simple command prompt with the specific commands can do flashing of recoveries/roms/kernel's

2.if you want ROM'S with minimum software
then that type of ROM's are marked as [Bareboned]

3. i think all defualt ROM app's /widgets are located in system folder

brberie

Dec 22, 2011
pittsburgh
Thanks but it is not what I've expected.
For instance: I have ROM.ZIP or ROM.Whatever and I like to see what actions(adb commands) in what sequence should I do to flush this ROM. What mode should phone be?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dictionary for n00b - What is.../What does ...mean?
    • Start read from 1st to last one and don't jump from one to another. If you will read all, it bring complex knowladge, if not you can be confused
    • Read summary to make sure, that you know everything if you think that some part(s) is not necessary to read for you!
    • If you post link here, please link to 1st post! Than everybody can know, what he/she can find here
    • Atin001 helps with some updates/corrections in Dictionary - take a minute to thanks him also.
    • Did you miss something here? Send me PM what you want to have here!
    1. Basics of Unix-like system (ROOT)
      • su, root, rooting, superuser app - what is it, why we need it
      • sh, bash, user/root shell - what is bash, sh; what is user shell; what is root shell; how I can recognise it each other
      • Bussybox - what BusyBox is, basic list of commands from BusyBox
      • (in progress) Kernel - what is going on? Do I need it?
    2. Android platform and it's specifics
      • adb shell - what is it, for what it is
      • Android SDK - what is it, tool which provides, where to download
      • Tools for work with Android adb shell - Terminal Emulator, ADB shell from Android SDK and how to use it
    3. Custom recovery
      • What custom recovery is - what custom recovery is
      • Tools which custom recovery provides - list of tools with description which custom recovery bringing
        • ADB as root user
        • USB-MS Toggle
        • Backup/Restore
        • Flash ZIP from sdcard
        • Wipe menu
        • Partition sdcard + etx2, ext3, ext4 filesystem description
        • Mounts
        • Others
      • Is it save to install? - possible problems, why should I try it?, backup/restore of original recovery
      • How this whole thing works - Drellisdee's installation steps description/elaboration
    4. Custom ROMs (generally)
      • What custom ROM is?
      • Is save install custom ROM? - potencional problems
      • What I need for install?
      • What can custom ROM brings - kernel, update, performance, customization, theme, ....
      • what is ...
        • deodexed, zipaglined, png-optimized
        • JIT, HW:acceleration, VM.Heap Size, stagefright
        • apps2sd + dalvik2sd
        • custom kernel (recompiled, ...)
    5. Android versions (collecting informations)
      • List of versions of Android for Optimus One (official&unofficial) - what we can install into our device
      • What version can be rooted and how? - version list, how to root, which version can be rooted, which can't

Sources (collecting)
      • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history
    6. Tools which you must have
      • Android SDK Tools (adb shell)
      • Terminal emulator
      • KDZ Updater tool
    So I'm on way, where I can start doing advanced stuff?

1. Follow Noejn's sign-post You can find here main point for start.
    2. If you now know basic "words of android world" you can take a look on really great tutorial how to root, install recovery and so on.
    3. Have you some questions? Make sure that you look on Mihir287's FAQ
    4. Custom ROM (generally)
    • What custom ROM is?
    • Is it save to install custom ROM? - potential problems
    • What I need for install?
    • What can custom ROM brings - kernel, update, performance, customization, theme, ....
    • what is ...
      • deodexed, zipaglined, png-optimized
      • JIT, HW:acceleration, VM.Heap Size, stagefright
      • apps2sd + dalvik2sd
      • custom kernel (recompiled, ...)

What custom ROM is?

Custom ROM is every somehow changed manufacturer's ROM or ROM compiled from source code of Android. "Change/s" can starts with adding/removing default application and can extend to kernels, cpu over/under-clocking, enable/disable features (ROOT, HW acceleration, ...), themes (frameworks, color, ...), keyboards and many other features.
    Custom ROM is mostly distributed like signed ZIP package with included installation script for custom recovery. This ZIP is flashed via custom recovery tool.

Is it save to install custom ROM?

Yes, it is. May be I can say, that installation of custom ROM is almost mandatory, because it cost you only few minute if you will not be satisfied - you can just restore your old ROM from NAND backup, if you will be satisfied, you can keep it. And yes, you can also use backup tools like for example Astro for backup of your apps or Titanium Backup backup everything (SMS, call list, preferences, APNs, ...) and restore this in your new ROM (NOTE: In this case it's strongly recommended that both ROM should have same or very similar source/base ROM).

So, it is really simple:
    1) Do NAND backup
    2) Try new ROM
    3) Keep new, or restore old one.

What I need for install?

1) Rooted phone
    2) Installed custom recovery
    3) Signed .ZIP file of ROM compatible with recovery
    #) RECOMMENDED: NAND backup of your actual ROM

What does custom ROM bring

Custom ROM brings almost every feature you can image.
    ex:
    optimization for maximal power (games), long battery life, calling, texting, playing videos,...
    awsome look - changed icons, colors, animations, wallpapers, menu, ....
    simple work - feature that will short some work (add restart button, reorganized menu, shorts, gestures, ...)
    allow tweaking - overclok/underclok your device, ROOT, ....

It's really not possible describe here every possibility what you can do/get with custom ROM.

what is ...

deodexed - needed for using themes. If you want replace/change some file in system (change theme) you need deodex file which you want change. In most cases it's going on services.jar which contains definition of colour for clock for example.
    APKs zipaligned - optimization of APK archive, so it takes less memory and is much faster.
    png-optimized - png files takes less memory, are loads faster
    JIT - just-in-time compilation also known as dynamic translation, is a method to improve the runtime performance of computer programs, but it takes some time to convert into it on start.
    HW:acceleration - using of HW acceleration for rendering GUI. Little increase battery consumption.
    VM.Heap Size - maximum memory an application can consume
    stagefright - In Android 2.2 new media framework that supports local file playback and HTTP progressive streaming
    Apps2SD - (mostly DarkTremor's a2sd) If you create ext partition on your SD card, you can mount it like internal memory (you will have more space on phone memory) and move app on SD.
    Dalvik2SD - move of Dalvik into SDcard (saves space)
    custom kernel - compiled standard unix kernel (can bring support for features like support ext4 for example)

Links/thanks
    ----------------------------------------------------
    P500 custom ROM list; xdaforums.com
    What's Deodex and Odex?; xdaforums.com
    What Is Zipalign In Android And How To Make Apps Zipaligned; www.addictivetips.com
    PNG compress; http://www.gotow.net/creative/wordpress/?p=79
    Just-in-time compilation; wikipedia.org
    VM Heap size; forum.cyanogenmod.com
    stagefright; developer.android.com

==========================
    Main topic
    1. Basics of Unix-like system
    • su, root, rooting - what is it, why we need it
    • sh, bash, busybox - what BusyBox is, basic list of commands from BusyBox, bash, sh
    • Kernel - What is it?

su
    Also referred as substitute user - is command for changing of the account in current terminal (usually black screen with blinking cursor). Default account is root account. So if you insert into terminal 'su' and hit enter, you will become root user.

root
    Root alias superuser or poweruser is special user account for system administration. Similar to windows having its administrator account, unix-like system have system have the root. With this user you can do anything and if you will run command for delete whole system, unix will just do it! No asking, no confirming. So, watch your steps!

rooting
    Rooting is just enabling power of root for applications or our proposes. You can read great article about Rooting on androidpolice. Kepp on your mind, that some steps described on this page are NOT compatible with our Optimus One!!

Superuser app
    After rooting is done, you will see new app called superuser in app drawer. This app can delegate applications to use su (root) feature. When app ask for first use, popup window will appear asking if the application should be allowed to use root permission.

sh, bash
    is a command-line interpreter or shell that provides a traditional user interface for the Unix operating system and for Unix-like systems. So simply, it is some interface, which can execute command(s), which you have entered. Many shells exist, but in scope of android you can (as far as I know) use only sh (standard - Bourne-shell) or bash (compiled in BusyBox or separately on XDA). Both are basically same, but bash has much more future and it is comfortable. It's too big to describe here, so if you are interested in learning more, follow links in sources section.

user/root shell
    How do I know if I'm root or normal user? It's simple. Root's shell is ended with # (usually it's shell looks like "bash-3.2# _") and user's ends with $ (usually bash-3.2$ _). In terminal emulator you also can have only [path]($|#) (for root for example "/etc # _")

BusyBox
    also called "The Swiss Army Knife of Embedded Linux" is a tool which brings into Android basic tools known from unix system, but is much more smaller than standard tools is. But this "packing" brings also limits in possibilities in comparison to standard tools in unix-system (missing special modes of tool, color output and so on). Many application use this. For example busybox grep (filtering of text) is needed for application called Market enabler.

BusyBox commands
    list of commands is really wide, so it's not possible explain all, so I pickup only top few. (hint: if you want what some command do, just search on google for "man <command_name>" for example man mv or enter command here

cd - cange directory - same like in windows. You can switch directory. example: cd /sdcard
    ls - list of files in actual directory (have few switches like for example: ls -l /sdcard/*.png (detailed listing)
    cat - print file into standart output (like more in windows) Example: cat /sdcard/data.txt
    vi - editing of file. But on limited phone keyboard (no keyboard) it is little harder :) Read more about vi
    cp - copy of one or more file. Example: cp /sdcard/bike.jpg /sdcard/media/bike-wallpaper.jpg
    mv - moving/rename files, Example: mv /sdcard/bike.jpg /sdcard/media/renamed-moved-bike.jpg
    rm - delete file (rm -R for recursive, or for delete whole folder), Example: rm -R /sdcard/wallpaper-bad/*
    find - search for files, Example find / -name "best-chopper-ever.avi"
    mkdir - make directory - creates directory, Example: mkdir mynewdir
    chmod - changes access of files
    less - similar like cat, but you can scroll in it and it doesn't produce any output. Example: less /sdcard/funnytext.txt

Please, take due note that man pages are documentation of unix tools. For BusyBox's tool help, just enter BusyBox <command_name> -h.

Many time, when is BusyBox installed, are also symbolic links created. It means, that is not necessary do BusyBox <command>, but only <command> will be enough.

Kernel
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_%28computing%29
    Work in progress...

Links/thanks:
    su (Unix); wikipedia.org
    Superuser; wikipedia.org
    Bourne shell (sh); wikipedia.org
    Bourne-Again shell (bash); wikipedia.org
    BusyBox; benno.id.au; BusyBox.net
    Kernel; wikipedia.org

Main topic
    3. Custom recovery
    • What custom recovery is
    • Tools which custom recovery provide - NAND backup/restore, formatting of SDcard, partitioning (ext1,ext2, ext3), wiping, flashing of Custom ROM, ...
    • Is it save to install that? - potential problems, backup/restore of original recovery
    • How this whole thing works - installation description (not how-to install, just explanation of what is done during installation)

What custom recovery is
    Recovery is image (binary data) stored in internal memory. This image contains something like "program" maybe better say "tool", which can boot-up independently on Android system. In other words, when this tool is running (booted up), than Android system is not. This tool is part of phone system, and in PC terminology recovery can by compared to BIOS with some added features. This recovery state can be reached on all phone, but if you don't have custom recovery, it will do so-called HW reset and automatically restart itself into standard boot mode. So what is difference between original recovery and custom recovery? Custom recovery didn't call master reset after start and also didn't restart itself.

Tools which custom recovery provides
    Let's go check what custom recovery brings (I will describe Drellisdee's custom recovery so another recovery can brings another menu and tools)
    In Drellisdee's post is picture of main screen with list and description of tools so let's look on it:
    • ADB as root user

what is root user, and what is adb, you should already know. If not, follow link on main post.

• USB-MS Toggle :mounts sdcard as mass storage

It just mounts your phone as USB-mass storage (USB disk) so in PC you will see new disk where you can see folders based on mountes (lower) and were you can upload what you want.

• Backup/Restore:
      Nand Backup : runs a nandroid backup of data, cache, boot, system
      Nand Backup + .android secure : backs up above plus .android_secure on sdcard (froyo native apps on sd)

//Native app which notify "application can be moved into SD card" if you can move some app. It's good to use, if you used it.
      Nand + ext backup : data, cache, system, boot, plus apps2sd on ext partition (old style apps2sd)

//old style apps2sd is used on some custom ROM because can move every application into SD card instead of Froyo's apps2sd
      Nand Restore : browse to and select nandroid backup to restore

Absolutely GREAT feature. With NAND you can do 1:1 copy (image) of your actual system (phone's memory). It means, that you didn't backup only SMS, contacts or apps, but whole system with all configuration, customization, wallpapers, system's tweaks... just everything - it creates image of whole phone system. This image will be written to your SD card which you are then free to copy around and back up on your computer.

What it means? You find custom ROM which looks awsome so you create NAND backup and install new ROM, but after few hour/days... you know, ROM before was better. So you boot into recovery, use NAND restore of your old ROM backup and .... woala you have your system just like before backup - as if nothing had happened. For about 2 minutes!! It sounds great, isn't? :) But one, little problem exist. You can not use for restore only some part of backup. You have to restore all, or nothing.

• Flash Zip From Sdcard: Update.zip must be in root of sdcard

This tool is designed for install of custom ROM or for tweaks. If you have instruction to install via custom recovery, and file have .zip extension than you should use this menu. Never unzip file, because file contain meta-information about itself with some validate-checks so if you edit it, or unpack and pack back, it shouldn't work. And of course you can't select *.zip file if it doesn't exist because you unpack it, also you have not to rename it to update.zip, you can just select file to update in list of .zip files. :) And, at the end, file have to be in root (main folder) of sdcard.

• Wipe Menu:
      Wipe data/factory reset: wipes data & cache

- wipe of users data (contacts, apps, configuration, ...) and cache (caches of applications)
      Wipe cache
      - wipe cache only
      Wipe Dalvik cache : Wipes Dalvik cache in all possible locations if moved by apps2sd
      - wipe of Dalvik cache?
      Wipe SD:ext : Wipes Apps2sd ext partition
      - if you used Partition SDcard option, you can wipe it here
      Wipe Battery Stats
      - If you think, that your battery life is too short, you can try delete battery stats. Than let phone fully charge. (more)
      Wipe rotate settings
      - wipe senzor setting (acceleration, ...)
      Wipe .android secure : Wipes froyo native .android_secure on sdcard
      - wipe information about moved apps

• Partition Sdcard:
      Partition SD: Partition's sdcard for apps2sd (this formats card so all non backed-up data is lost)

- will create ext2 partition (you will be asked for size of ext2 and cache)
      Repair Sd:ext
      SD:ext2 to ext3 : coverts apps2sd ext2 partition to ext3 (requires kernel support for ext3)
      SD:ext3 to ext4 : same as above but ext3 to ext4 (requires kernel support for ext4)

ext2 - file system for the Linux kernel (no journal, fast but not recovery of I/O error)
      ext3 - file system for the Linux kernel (journal, slower than ext2 because of journal, but provides recovery on I/O error)
      ext4 - file system for the Linux kernel (journal, enhanced version of ext3)

Links/thanks
      How to increase battery life; androidforums.com
      Comparison of file systems; wikipedia.org
      ZeroXtreme's filesystem answer (thanks); xdaforums.com

• Mounts:
      Gui mounts to avoid typing in terminal to mount and cd into a dir to mount system, data, cache, sd-ext (if exists), sdcard

• Other:
      Fix apk uid mismatches

//I'm not sure, can somebody helps?
      Move recovery log to SD
      Toggle Signature Verify : Turn of signature checking on flashing zips
      Key Test : Output keycodes for debugging recovery

I thing that this is clear enough.

Is it save to install that?
    Well, nothing isn't without any risk. Anyway, from what I know, nobody has had any problems, if Drellisdee's steps are followed, but you have to have P500, not derivate from Sprint, for example. From my point of view the installation of recovery is without any problems. After update with KDZ_FW_UPD tool I had rewritten also recovery. But this tool is really dangerous, so try to avoid to it.

Anyway, original recovery can be backuped before installation of custom recovery and this can be done by command
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/mtd/mtd2 of=/sdcard/<name-of-old-recovery>.img bs=4096
    for example:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/mtd/mtd2 of=/sdcard/my-original-recovery.img bs=4096
    For restore,just use same step (command) that you used for flashing, but replace name of .img file.
    Code:
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/my-original-recovery.img
    NOTE: You don't have to do other commands before and after as you done for install of recovery!!

So, where can problems arise?
    • loss of warranty - LG service have much more advanced software and hardware and they can check what problem caused - make dump of memory and so on
    • bricking of phone - if something goes wrong, then phone may not start at all
    • deletion of all data if installation fails - if old recovery remains, than hw reset will be performed
    • custom recovery doesn't work at all - incompatible devices

Why to try?
    • NAND backup/restore - the most useful tool ever
    • you can install custom ROM
    • high count of successful flashing of custom recovery
    • for now (what I read on forum), when you had said that you brick your phone by standard LG tool, your warranty repair was approved

How this whole thing works (description of installation's steps)

Let's see on how to:
    1. Copy flash_image and recovery-RA-GNM-thunderg-1.1.0.img to the root of your sdcard
      Nothing hard I think. :)

2. via adb shell or terminal type this from root su # shell. (Do not type the # as its just for reference to show you need a root # shell not a $ user shell)
      Ok, it seems that it doesn't make sense, isn't. But what is root and su we already knows, same as user shell and root shell. Also follows commands probably aren't some "normal" task, so some special user approve will be necessary - so it probably means use of root. So, enter 'su [enter]' for become a root.

3. Code:
      [B]# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system[/B]
      // remounting of filesystem for write

[B]# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image[/B]
      // print contend of flash_image into /system/bin/flash_image (it is just copying)

[B]# chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image[/B]
      // set up file access for running (basic of unix-like systems)

[B]# mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak[/B]
      // rename install-recovery as install-recovery.sh.back
      // NOTE: many guys haven't this file, so they get error: [I]"failed on '/system/etc/install-recovery.sh' - No such file or directory"[/I]
      // it's normal. If it happens, just ignore it and continue.

[B]# mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system[/B]
      // remount of filesystem into read-only mode

[B]# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-GNM-thunderg-1.1.0.img[/B]
      // using of program/script flash_image for flashing of recovery image
      // you can do by same way also restore of your original recovery

[B]# reboot recovery[/B]
      // reboots into recovery mode
      I think, that was also nothing hard. As was said "#" on beginning means that root's shell should be used for running that command. Maybe you remember what I had written, that if you run something on root's account, it doesn't ask for confirmation and will just do it. Same with responses. If there is nothing to say, then nothing will be said. So if command runs without any problems, nothing will be shown. If something doesn't work, than you will be informed.

4. Key combo to boot custom recovery from powered off is vol_down + home + power and release keys at LG splash.
      Nothing special I guess. But I recommend keep vol down + home keep pressed until custom ROM menu appear.

5. Note this recovery and the one for the LG Vortex have a service that instantly reboots out of recovery once you load it & I disabled it and thats why you get a E: "Bad Boot Message" on inital startup. Its completely fine.
      IMPORTANT NOTE!! Too many of n00bs asking "I have problem, E: "Bad Boot Message appeared, what I should do?" Read ALL carefully before every action!!

6. Recovery Key mapping:
      Up & down : vol-up and vol-down
      Select : Menu
      Backup : Back

Key map for moving in menu (touch screen doesn't work... :))

Links/thanks:
    Drellisdee's custom recovery description; androidforums.com

Main topic
    2. Android platform and it's specifics
    • adb shell - what is it, for what it is
    • Android SDK - what is it, tool which provides, where to download
    • Tools for work with Android adb shell - Terminal Emulator, ADB shell from Android SDK and how to use it

ADB (shell)
    ADB - Android Debug Bridge is a versatile tool lets you manage the state of an emulator instance or Android-powered device. It is a client-server program that includes three components:
    • A client, which runs on your development machine. You can invoke a client from a shell by issuing an adb command. Other Android tools such as the ADT plugin and DDMS also create adb clients.
    • A server, which runs as a background process on your development machine. The server manages communication between the client and the adb daemon running on an emulator or device.
    • A daemon, which runs as a background process on each emulator or device instance.
    Generally it can be compared with standard cmd prompt in windows (you can write commands which will be executed locally, for example in Terminal Emulator) or it can be just like SSH in unix-like system (you connect to terminal through adb client (in Android SDK) and commands will be run remotely.

Android SDK
    Android software development kit is complex set of tools for developing app on Android. It includes fully usable emulator of Android OS on your PC, where you can do everything. You can install/delete apps, browse web page in embedded web browser, play games or make your own application in Eclipse (widely used IDE for development). Of course, with emulator you can use also GPS or camera. Emulated android phone is just like "normal" phone.

Android SDK tools

Tools for work with Android adb shell
    You have two ways ho to connect into ADB service - locally and remotely.

Locally - for local access you will need some application which can connect to local adb shell.
    Terminal Emulator (free) - probably most commonly used app from market, which works and looks like standard unix shell.
    ConnectBot (free) - same as Terminal Emulator, but it can be also used for connecting via SSH or telnet

Remotelly- For remote connection you need phone configuration adjustment:
    Home desktop -> [menu button] -> Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging [ON].
    Also you need connect your phone via USB (or finds on market some widget/app, witch enable using ADB also via wi-fi)

adb tool from Android SDK
    After download Android SDK, extract archive somewhere (in example I extracted it in c:/AndroidSDK). Then follow instruction on developer.android.com for installation of SDK Platform-tools (contains adb). After installation click on start menu and in Run... (in Windows7 in search bar) enter 'cmd' and press Ok or [enter]. Then write in cmd line:
    Code:
    cd c:\AndroidSDK\android-sdk-windows\tools [enter]
    now you can enter following command to connect to phone's adb shell if you don't have more connected device (virtual or real-one)
    Code:
    adb shell
    If you have more then one, you need explicitly say which one should be used for connection. So list connected devices with
    Code:
    adb devices
    which shows you serial number of connected devices. Than use
    Code:
    adb -s <serial-number> shell

Links/thanks:
    ADB; android-dls.com; developer.android.com
    Android SDK; wiki.androidforum.cz [CZ]
    Basic adb/shell commands for noobs; xdaforums.com
    15 Useful Android Terminal (ADB Shell) Commands; gadgetsdna.com