Charging takes ages

Search This thread

nex86

Nov 9, 2010
I've plugged my Shield into the charger like 4 or 5 hours ago, now I was wondering why it was still charging, so I turned it on and the battery was at 60%, charging.
When I plugged it in, it was at like 10%.

The first charge took quite long too, I was hoping it charges faster by the second or third charge. But it doesn't.

Do you guys experience the same thing or should I try a different charger?

I measured the output of the charger and the results seem to be normal: 5,28V @2,48A

Last edited:

ruskairabbit

Dec 8, 2007
I've plugged my Shield into the charger like 4 or 5 hours ago, now I was wondering why it was still charging, so I turned it on and the battery was at 60%, charging.
When I plugged it in, it was at like 10%.

The first charge took quite long too, I was hoping it charges faster by the second or third charge. But it doesn't.

Do you guys experience the same thing or should I try a different charger?

I measured the output of the charger and the results seem to be normal: 5,28V @2,48A

I would suggest trying a different cable and charging with your Shield powered down.

nex86

Nov 9, 2010
I did charge it when it was completely off, I also tried an other cable and charger and that didn't seemed to help much.
At least.. it's fully charged now after charging it for almost an entire day...

Solarenemy68

Jul 28, 2009
Dallas
Do what most device owners do.. Charge the stuff overnight and don't worry about how long it takes... Since you are asleep and not using it anyways.

psycho1200

Jun 20, 2012
Ecatepec
I think is a problem with you HW i mean you have a defect shield, take your waranty and return the shield to the store you bought it, or call nvidia, have you tried to calibrate your battery ? maybe that will help.

nex86

Nov 9, 2010
how do I calibrate it?
And I'm not sure if I can RMA it because I'm from Europe and bought it from a private Ebay dealer.
New though, not used.

edit: I noticed that it charges faster when its turned on. weird behavior isn't it?

Last edited:

Solarenemy68

Jul 28, 2009
Dallas
how do I calibrate it?
And I'm not sure if I can RMA it because I'm from Europe and bought it from a private Ebay dealer.
New though, not used.

edit: I noticed that it charges faster when its turned on. weird behavior isn't it?

To calibrate a battery such as the one the shield uses, you have to fully discharge it till the shield shuts off. Then leaving it off fully charge it. Do not use it while charging or interrupt the charging.