Signal Strength with AT&T and Omnia 2

Search This thread

JohnHere999

Oct 18, 2009
Does anyone know why my Omnia 2 gets weak signal strength on At&t. I rarely get the 3g network and, at most, get 1 bar. However, the internet works fine and I love the phone but don't know if I need to go to Verizon to get better reception.

Tried At&t support but, other than upgrading the sim card, they won"t do anything with a non-at&t device. And since it was bought before the phone was launched in the U.S. I can't get support from Samsung. Are there some settings on the phone that can be changed to improve reception? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated - thanks.

Here's the network specs for the phone: GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, UMTS 850/1900 MHz, HSDPA 7.2Mbps, HSUPA5.76 Mbps

turcomora

Jun 27, 2005
Does anyone know why my Omnia 2 gets weak signal strength on At&t. I rarely get the 3g network and, at most, get 1 bar. However, the internet works fine and I love the phone but don't know if I need to go to Verizon to get better reception.

Tried At&t support but, other than upgrading the sim card, they won"t do anything with a non-at&t device. And since it was bought before the phone was launched in the U.S. I can't get support from Samsung. Are there some settings on the phone that can be changed to improve reception? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated - thanks.

Here's the network specs for the phone: GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, UMTS 850/1900 MHz, HSDPA 7.2Mbps, HSUPA5.76 Mbps

Try changing your band settings to WCDMA then 850+1900. Works great for my Touch HD T8285.

JohnHere999

Oct 18, 2009
almost there - thanks

Thanks for your reply. But, after surfing the net I still can't figure out how to change these settings on the Omnia 2, ok I don't know how to do it on any phone. Is this something easily done, and if so, how?

JohnHere999

Oct 18, 2009
no band settings there either

Not that easy. I get phone, then settings, then the options are general, voice call, video call and message.

General sub folders are: call cost; caller id; own number; fixed dialing; auto answer; closed user group

Voice Call sub folders are: call barring, call forwarding, call waiting

Video Call - n/a

Message sub folders are call broadcast message, wap push message, voice mail, send text message options

I tried looking at the connections menu which yields:
My Internet - add a new modem; edit my proxy server; manage existing connections.

Manage existing allows you to change from media net or other connections and when you do that there are no options for changing band. Also if you try to create a new connection there is still no mention of band.
http://xdaforums.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

cpinilla1986

Sep 22, 2008
I am not sure if your phone has 850mhz, as far as I Know the omnia 2 i8000 has 900/1900/2100 compatibility and maybe that is why you are getting so weak signal,

rob3rtx

Nov 28, 2007
DFW
Only the Bell Canada Omnia2 has 850mhz + 1900mhz so unless you have this one it won't work well with at&t 3G.

CAL0613

Jan 8, 2008
Only the Bell Canada Omnia2 has 850mhz + 1900mhz so unless you have this one it won't work well with at&t 3G.

This is true, I have the GT I8000l version and the band settings are in the Omnia Settings/Network Settings/Band settings menu -- Mine is set to Automatic, though there are other choices including the WCDMA, GSM 900/1800 and GSM 850/1900. You must also enable HSPDA setting as well (same Network menu) and then reset your phone.

I get Great 3G+ / HSPDA speeds almost everywhere around Harrisburg, PA "EXCEPT" in my own HOME location (only Edge ) Just that I am behind a mountain so.....

Anyway, this lack of Home location 3G+ is causing me to place my Omnia 2 (Bell Canada version) up for sale as I was expecting 3G in my own home !!!! (probably going to Ebay this weekend. The phone is great though and the screen (OLED) is INCREDIBLE !!! I am running SPB mobile shell 3.0 (Lite rom installed) so phone is quite zippy without the widget mess though the original Bell rom can be reinstalled. ( I have on DVD ) Really ticked though about the lack of 3G* at home so I may be looking for HD2 or such --and settle for EDGE speed.

Thanks to XDA developers for considering and supporting some Non HTC phones such as OMNIA 2

technillion

Jun 28, 2007
Elgin, Illinois
Not true AT ALL!

I have the original Omnia II with the 1900mhz band and have not had a single problem with excellent 3G speeds in Chicago and surrounding suburbs.

I'm getting the exact same signal strengths I was getting when I had the ATT Fuze - which does have BOTH the 850 and the 1900 mhz bands.:cool:

rob3rtx

Nov 28, 2007
DFW
I have the original Omnia II with the 1900mhz band and have not had a single problem with excellent 3G speeds in Chicago and surrounding suburbs.

I'm getting the exact same signal strengths I was getting when I had the ATT Fuze - which does have BOTH the 850 and the 1900 mhz bands.:cool:

Chicago might primarily be 1900mhz but Dallas (my home) and probably where the original poster is located is 850mhz so the i8000L from Bell would be a better choice and probably for everyone else so you could never be limited to 1900mhz. :p

rob3rtx

Nov 28, 2007
DFW
This is true, I have the GT I8000l version and the band settings are in the Omnia Settings/Network Settings/Band settings menu -- Mine is set to Automatic, though there are other choices including the WCDMA, GSM 900/1800 and GSM 850/1900. You must also enable HSPDA setting as well (same Network menu) and then reset your phone.

I get Great 3G+ / HSPDA speeds almost everywhere around Harrisburg, PA "EXCEPT" in my own HOME location (only Edge ) Just that I am behind a mountain so.....

Anyway, this lack of Home location 3G+ is causing me to place my Omnia 2 (Bell Canada version) up for sale as I was expecting 3G in my own home !!!! (probably going to Ebay this weekend. The phone is great though and the screen (OLED) is INCREDIBLE !!! I am running SPB mobile shell 3.0 (Lite rom installed) so phone is quite zippy without the widget mess though the original Bell rom can be reinstalled. ( I have on DVD ) Really ticked though about the lack of 3G* at home so I may be looking for HD2 or such --and settle for EDGE speed.

Thanks to XDA developers for considering and supporting some Non HTC phones such as OMNIA 2

I loved the Omnia 2 but the lack of Roms and not having xda support (not such much anymore now i guess:p) made me sell it and go back to my Rogers Magic. I'll probably wait for the HTC Obsession or maybe the HTC Bravo as my next phone i definitely wanna check out Windows 7 when it comes out.

FIREONHIGH

May 17, 2009

can you post your network settings?

Drachen

Feb 21, 2006
NYC
I've had pretty good reception in the NYC area on 3G for the past 6 months... until today. Now my phone can get 3G and 3g+ reception but I can't get any data over 3G anymore. When I step down to EDGE, I can get data again. iPhone users seem to be fine. Anyone else having these problems in the NYC area?