Next Atrix Bootloader is UNLOCKABLE

Search This thread

holtenc

Feb 20, 2011
this is great news and all.. but everybody is cheering and horraying as if it's a done deal. Keep in mind that it works on dev beta versions... it wont necessarily work on the OTA update from ATT. Like OP said, it's up to the carriers now.

Not trying to be a troll or party pooper, believe me, I want this just as bad as everyone else. Just keeping things within the realms of reality.

shanghei

Oct 21, 2008
this is great news and all.. but everybody is cheering and horraying as if it's a done deal. Keep in mind that it works on dev beta versions... it wont necessarily work on the OTA update from ATT. Like OP said, it's up to the carriers now.

Not trying to be a troll or party pooper, believe me, I want this just as bad as everyone else. Just keeping things within the realms of reality.

my raging clue went from raging hard to a semi

Ratchet556

Mar 21, 2011

It works on kenneth's who afaik dosent have a dev atrix

slimslim

Oct 14, 2009
I think it's a fair trade unlocked bootloader no more warranty, I'll take it! :-D

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

Reactions: Zero-K

dLo GSR

Mar 7, 2011
Los Angeles

if all else fails and the OTA GB update doesn't have it... by that point I think it'd be green-light okay for ken to released the leaked build he was on, if anything so we could just unlock the BL and then SBF to a newer one. just speculation.

Reactions: msd24200

jruweaver

Mar 24, 2010
alabama
if all else fails and the OTA GB update doesn't have it... by that point I think it'd be green-light okay for ken to released the leaked build he was on, if anything so we could just unlock the BL and then SBF to a newer one. just speculation.
My thoughts exactly! Once 2.3.3 is out he can release it if need be :)

shanghei

Oct 21, 2008
I will be throwing an atrix unlock boot loader party with hot plates , rack of cookies and beer

VeNuMuS

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles
Athena has but her bussom away. Apollo has lifted his skirt. The bootloader has been unlocked.

Sent from my Chuck Norris powered BlueMystblurred Atrix
\m/0_0\m/

hayspat

Jan 19, 2008
@kennethpenn, please share your beta build to porting CM7 and MIUI.
I cant wait for running CM7 on my atrix

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As you've probably seen, the2dCour has a very tasty morsel of what's to come for us all. He's one of the many great people in #moto-atrix, including Jug6, Edgan, Sogarth, unknown, Brandon15811, and helpful friends, Pauly, dasmoover, cranch, YellowGTO and more, who have been helping me poke at the Atrix for many weeks. Also, if I know anything at all (I don't) it's thanks to [mbm] and Skrilax and xvilka and the others who implemented the hard work of 2nd init and kexec and beat their head against Motorola's signature chain on the previous generation of phones.

But our biggest thanks go to Motorola. A very friendly 'community-minded engineer' at Motorola posted an interesting message in hex on their support forums yesterday. Turns out, maybe it's no joke after all.
    (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1134786)

This got me to thinking. I was already looking through some of the ascii / hex of the bootloaders. Search for VOID and you'll find something completely new in the HKTW (Hong Kong / Taiwan) build, which is not in the CGs for any prior Atrix bootloader:

Code:
    $ strings CG42.img | grep INFO
    INFOUnlocking your device can permanently VOID your warranty.
    INFOThis process cannot be reversed.  If you wish to proceed,
    INFOreissue the unlock OEM command containing the unique ID
    INFOof your device:

On Edgan's engineering phone, the HKTW build enables a command you may all be familiar with:

fastboot oem unlock

It looks as if it asks you to issue the command twice, after giving you a unique ID (based on your phone) you must enter in. Surrounding parts of the CG suggest this will wipe your userdata much like a "fastboot -w" currently does. Our hypothesis about the fuses may also be backwards, and it is unlocking which burns a fuse, thus making this an operation which "cannot be reversed."

So, I think we can all look forward to Gingerbread's release for many reasons!!!

PS. Beyond voiding the warranty, or access to support, such an operation could potentially make your phone ineligible for OTAs, future retail .sbfs, etc... and we do not yet know which carriers will get it. So don't get TOO excited :p

PPS. If this is headed to the official release, I'd like to give a HUGE thanks to Irwin Proud and all the others who petitioned Motorola to make this happen!
    But there's no time to rest. Now we must pressure all the carriers!
    Confirmed working for AT&T users!! Eval emailed me the good news this morning, so we tried it on leaked GB for the Atrix 4G on AT&T.

http://briefmobile.com/exclusive-atrix-4g-bootloader-unlocked-with-android-2-3-update

I tested it out on my Gingerbread beta builds.
    Lol I can't sop laughing, not only did you guys for months have a gingerbread rom that you couldn't root when kholk even caved in and told you how but on top of it it had oem unlock in it and you didn't even know untill you were tipped off? Wtf were you 6 guys doing with your super secret sbf LOL anyhow horray for moto, although at this point im dissapointed they beat us to it :-(

Sent from my MB860 using XDA Premium App

Seriously? How can you be such d**k? Who cares how long it took them? I dont care if they have had the leaked version for a year and just found out. They found out! That is the ONLY thing that matters! Not only did they find out, they did it before we even got the OTA! You are such a douche! I used to think you were a good/respected dev. I have lost all respect for people like you. You did nothing to help with it, talk s**t, and now you will unlock your bootloader with what they found. Yes, I know they didnt bypass it or crack it, but would you know how to unlock it without them? Highly/extremely doubtful!

As for all the devs who worked on this... THANK YOU and I will be donating for the first time when this is released! I am glad that we have devs like you that stuck around. This phone would be nothing without the work you guys have done! I Think the bootloader bounty should go to all the devs who worked on anything with the phone.

Again, THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!
    This is a rather snide post, which happens to be 100% wrong. By my clock, HKTW leaked exactly one week ago (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1127983). Kenneth has had GB about three weeks it looks like. Do not make up lies about months. Also, ANYONE could have found it in the HKTW build, just like I did. Why didn't you?

Second, I understand your disappointment, but we have been working hard on 2nd-init and kexec and you have been hidden away and given us no help. Edgan got 2nd-init working on Froyo, I got it working on the HKTW GB, and we were now pushing on kexec. Edgan reached out to you, for you to help us, and you told him never to message you again. We are just as surprised as you are that Irwin and friends got Motorola to cave before we could figure out a bypass. Still, I can only be happy to have a true recovery partition soon!!

Finally, kholk gave us no help in rooting without Gingerbreak. That was Brandon15811, The2dcour, and myself. You will see something from us in a few weeks, that will put your laughing to an end. Kholk came to us many weeks later, and said "did you know?" and we said "yes, duh." We have had root many weeks before anyone in the Atrix world had a Gingerbread build.

PS. In truth, I found it in CG42 before being "tipped off" but then I saw the funny XDA & moto posts and realized, ****, this might be for real, not just something in a developer build for an eng phone using test-keys.

Lol I can't sop laughing, not only did you guys for months have a gingerbread rom that you couldn't root when kholk even caved in and told you how but on top of it it had oem unlock in it and you didn't even know untill you were tipped off? Wtf were you 6 guys doing with your super secret sbf LOL anyhow horray for moto, although at this point im dissapointed they beat us to it :-(

Sent from my MB860 using XDA Premium App
    Oh I forgot. [I HOPE DAISIES GROW OUT OF YOUR NETHER REGIONS] DesignGears and all the others that jumped ship for trying to milk us out of our money and then bailing on us.

'Nuff said

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App