How to install Google Currents (and other apps requiring the maps framework)

Search This thread

rooobbbbb

Apr 13, 2008
I was able to install Google Currents by manually adding the framework from the gapps zip normally used by CM7 and other roms.

I've included a View attachment maps-framework-kfire.zip modified zip (maps-framework-kfire) file with only the files you need. The files are in the folders necessary inside the zip. As we can't flash zips from recovery like other devices yet (that I know of) you'll have to put the files in manually. As this uses google services you probably need to have View attachment GoogleServicesFramework.apk installed already in your /system/apps directory (to do this if you haven't either install the market which will include this step or transfer the GoogleServicesFramework.apk there and chmod to 644 like the others below [do this before you reboot as it will be required])

1. Extract the zip file on your computer
2. Copy the extracted files to your device
3. Copy com.google.android.maps.jar into /system/framework via ADB or Root Explorer
4. Chmod (long hold select file in Root Explorer and select permissions) to 644 (owner read/write, group read, others read)
5. Copy com.google.android.maps.xml to /system/etc/permissions the same way
6. Chmod that file to the same permissions
7. Restart your Fire to allow it to recognize the new framework
8. Install this APK View attachment Google_Currents_1.0.apk
9. Open the app and select your Google account to continue

This should also allow any other apps to install that require this framework.

kernelsandirs

Aug 21, 2008
Los Angeles
did not work for me :-(

Followed the instructions the files are in the correct locations and the permissions are 644
When I try and install it just says not installed. Rebooted a couple times. The instructions did not seem to mention anything about the features.xml so I also tried adding that to /system/etc/ as well with 644 still no go :-( anyone else not get this to work or run into this then figure out the solution?

Last edited:

rooobbbbb

Apr 13, 2008
Followed the instructions the files are in the correct locations and the permissions are 644
When I try and install it just says not installed. Rebooted a couple times. The instructions did not seem to mention anything about the features.xml so I also tried adding that to /system/etc/ as well with 644 still no go :-( anyone else not get this to work or run into this then figure out the solution?

I accidentally included that file, I didn't need to use it myself. You could try connecting your Fire to your computer and run logcat to live view the console of the device. That's how I saw that this was needed in the first place.

kernelsandirs

Aug 21, 2008
Los Angeles
Sorry, got it working, when I read the path /system/etc/permissions it wrapped in my browser and I only put the xml in system/etc so I had placed the file a level lower. So it was my bad. thanks for the info. So far I really like the app, had been using news360 but this seems a bit nicer even though its still early.

Reactions: xdalaw

xdalaw

Aug 14, 2005
New England
Sorry, got it working, when I read the path /system/etc/permissions it wrapped in my browser and I only put the xml in system/etc so I had placed the file a level lower. So it was my bad. thanks for the info. So far I really like the app, had been using news360 but this seems a bit nicer even though its still early.

I did this exact same thing. Thanks for posting so that I realized my error.

BONUS: Tweetdeck now installs and works!! (A couple of other apps now working via sideload: Redbox & Speedtest.net)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was able to install Google Currents by manually adding the framework from the gapps zip normally used by CM7 and other roms.

I've included a View attachment maps-framework-kfire.zip modified zip (maps-framework-kfire) file with only the files you need. The files are in the folders necessary inside the zip. As we can't flash zips from recovery like other devices yet (that I know of) you'll have to put the files in manually. As this uses google services you probably need to have View attachment GoogleServicesFramework.apk installed already in your /system/apps directory (to do this if you haven't either install the market which will include this step or transfer the GoogleServicesFramework.apk there and chmod to 644 like the others below [do this before you reboot as it will be required])

1. Extract the zip file on your computer
    2. Copy the extracted files to your device
    3. Copy com.google.android.maps.jar into /system/framework via ADB or Root Explorer
    4. Chmod (long hold select file in Root Explorer and select permissions) to 644 (owner read/write, group read, others read)
    5. Copy com.google.android.maps.xml to /system/etc/permissions the same way
    6. Chmod that file to the same permissions
    7. Restart your Fire to allow it to recognize the new framework
    8. Install this APK View attachment Google_Currents_1.0.apk
    9. Open the app and select your Google account to continue

This should also allow any other apps to install that require this framework.
    For the record, this also allowed GroupMe to install.

---------- Post added 11th December 2011 at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was 10th December 2011 at 11:29 PM ----------

I was able to get Google Navigation running as well. Download the APK here:
    http://www.apktops.com/google-maps-6-0-1.html

and install. Once TetherGPS is working (from this thread), the blue Navigation arrow is available, and you can use it for navigation. I had to go to my front door to get it working, as it required a functioning GPS signal. The cool thing is that when I turned off TetherGPS on the Fire, navigation resumed on my EVO 3D! So you don't lose your GPS navigation if you lose Tether GPS.
    Excellent find and easy to follow instructions. Thank you!

Ditto from me!
    You rock dude!