[FIX] Fix Status 7 error on assert raw write

Search This thread

geoffcorey

Apr 24, 2010
I see a few people asking the question about status 7 error when trying toflash a custom kernel on their sensation.

Here is a quick breakdown of a boot.img

boot.img = zimage (the kernel) + ramdisk.

ona stock sensation or a boot.img taken from an ruu, the ramdisk has a protection flag set (ro.secure=1 in default.prop needs to be changed to ro.secure=0).

The kernel devs here, package their kernel updates in a way that copies the current ramdisk, and then comines them with their compiled zimage to make a boot.img which is then flashed. This method is actually the preferred way, and causes the least amount of issues/errors.

But this method fails with a protected ramdisk, which results in the status 7 error about write_raw failed. So to get around this, you must first flash an insecure boot.img.

Most (if not all) custom roms provide you with an insecure boot.img to begin with.

but to shroten the process, i'm going to link an insecure boot.img for those who don't want to change/install a custom rom.

MD5: 36d3e33740dc5799a5b53ee42d579e81

Attachments

• insercure-kernel.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 3,380

pedroflovera

Apr 4, 2010
New York
Thanks

I see a few people asking the question about status 7 error when trying toflash a custom kernel on their sensation.

ona stock sensation or a boot.img taken from an ruu, the ramdisk has a protection flag set (ro.secure=1 in default.prop needs to be changed to ro.secure=0).

The kernel devs here, package their kernel updates in a way that copies the current ramdisk, and then comines them with their compiled zimage to make a boot.img which is then flashed. This method is actually the preferred way, and causes the least amount of issues/errors.

But this method fails with a protected ramdisk, which results in the status 7 error about write_raw failed. So to get around this, you must first flash an insecure boot.img.

Most (if not all) custom roms provide you with an insecure boot.img to begin with.

but to shroten the process, i'm going to link an insecure boot.img for those who don't want to change/install a custom rom.

Thank you very very very much, finally i able to flash my favorite kernel!..

T-Macgnolia

Sep 30, 2010
Shannon, Ms.
This is a quick and easy way to fix the problem. But for those that don't mind getting their hands dirty can change the ro.secure=1 to ro.secure=0 manually using Dixda's Kitchen from here on XDA. Just thought I would through that out there.

Reactions: BanB

Keupie

May 12, 2010
Apeldoorn
Very usefull!! Thanks a lot!!

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using xda app-developers app

mohammadx

Jan 6, 2012

no any chenge (status 7) :(

Uchiha_GT

Dec 18, 2012
This is exactly what I need! Thank you!!!!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using xda premium

Uchiha_GT

Dec 18, 2012
Where can i find the boot.img that ro.secure=1. I need to flash it back because I believe it may be linked to wifi issues on the stock ics rom...

kalrocking

Nov 12, 2012
Goa
Still the same error not working

i have successfully flashed the insercurekernel.zip but still i am getting the same error ..

Please help me ..

rzr86

May 21, 2012
Nafpaktos
error 7

write raw image failed some assert failed ...
trying to install sebastian overclocked kernel.. tried few others also still not working ...

are you sure you flashed the insecure kernel.zip successfully?
because its job is to fix status 7

reflash again the insecure kernel and then flash sebastian's kernel

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This is a quick and easy way to fix the problem. But for those that don't mind getting their hands dirty can change the ro.secure=1 to ro.secure=0 manually using Dixda's Kitchen from here on XDA. Just thought I would through that out there.