Homemade backplate using genuine leather

Search This thread

methodz

Nov 25, 2008
So I also own a Note 3 and dig the leather back but don't dig that it is fake as hell. I picked up the ZU when it went on sale about a month or so ago and though I do like the glass material I felt I was worrying too much about it. I couldn't find a case that I liked that fit in the dock and just kept worrying about scratching the back up. So... I just bought some leather sample and some el cheapo screen protectors and went to work.

I quite like the result though cutting out the camera hole was the worst part. Another good thing is that this is easily removed and reused if so desired.

KFZdphSNgcDulGp-TIL2dP6b4dwCVy10mypzsqIMeA=w576-h382-p-no

HWZhvE3PWyoE34Y7zsKzyRKFwqX-vgakwrBoGTSS7w=w578-h382-p-no

b7kxHo5-eCRAaApVogPI2Jr64CcWyLXqEus_kftzlQ=w622-h414-p-no

WRevNjf902Sh9c6vOXMKi_eWo_1MQ3fJkKGYDZ7ehQ=w622-h414-p-no

aPdv4Qwrffn8VSy4-2BhNmmFlJ2pYNuld1xOnw7bcA=w622-h414-p-no

4MFzWeYATB7er3WwGouJTyzDHmmJqKo0j49SX6mdIw=w578-h382-p-no

Last edited:

methodz

Nov 25, 2008
Wow, that's fantastic. Did you glue it to the back?

Thanks dude. Nah, I used some 3m double stick tape. It's the stuff I believe they use to put spoilers on cars. That leather isn't going anywhere. You can see how I laid it down in the second pic. I double stuck it onto an illumishield back screen protector so I can easily peel it off and put it back on at will with no loss of stickiness in case I want to switch back to my incipio case.

Last edited:
Reactions: maxld

methodz

Nov 25, 2008
I would suggest just buying a cheap rear protector because it would serve as the template for the cutout and also allow you to remove it easily otherwise you'd have to stick it on directly on the glass which would be a more semi permanent solution. But if you really want to do it without the back protector then just take a piece of paper and etch around with a pencil and you should have a good template to cut around.

methodz

Nov 25, 2008
I'm thinking of cutting out an opening for the Sony logo but I'm afraid if it might look like cheap. I may try to hunt down some red leather if I can find it on the cheap. Maybe I can find an old school Michael Jackson jacket at the thrift store and chop it up. Also I plan to buy a Muvit Bimat case and removing the clear portion and fit the leather around the bumper area of the case. I think that might be pretty sweet.

Last edited:

maxld

Mar 21, 2009
Łódź
I would suggest just buying a cheap rear protector because it would serve as the template for the cutout and also allow you to remove it easily otherwise you'd have to stick it on directly on the glass which would be a more semi permanent solution. But if you really want to do it without the back protector then just take a piece of paper and etch around with a pencil and you should have a good template to cut around.

Yeah, I will have to use a paper. Rear protectors are almost impossible to find in Poland. There are almost no accessories for this phone at all. Thanks for your sugestions.

methodz

Nov 25, 2008
Yeah, I will have to use a paper. Rear protectors are almost impossible to find in Poland. There are almost no accessories for this phone at all. Thanks for your sugestions.

Well here is a better idea... Just get some wide clear tape, I'd use some clear shelf liner like for cabinets and stick it to the back of the phone then draw your pattern. Peel that off the phone and lay it on some wax paper then glue the leather onto the non stick side of it and cut out the pattern. It is really just a square cutout, the hardest part would be the camera hole. Thank God this thing doesn't have a flash because cutting out that hole was a PITA. That way you will have sticky on one side and leather on the other.

The shelf liner is like 5 bucks at any grocery store.
.jpg

Reactions: Triflot and maxld

jutley

Mar 23, 2006
UK
Great job you should start charging people to have this done your make a killing dude.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I also own a Note 3 and dig the leather back but don't dig that it is fake as hell. I picked up the ZU when it went on sale about a month or so ago and though I do like the glass material I felt I was worrying too much about it. I couldn't find a case that I liked that fit in the dock and just kept worrying about scratching the back up. So... I just bought some leather sample and some el cheapo screen protectors and went to work.

I quite like the result though cutting out the camera hole was the worst part. Another good thing is that this is easily removed and reused if so desired.

KFZdphSNgcDulGp-TIL2dP6b4dwCVy10mypzsqIMeA=w576-h382-p-no

HWZhvE3PWyoE34Y7zsKzyRKFwqX-vgakwrBoGTSS7w=w578-h382-p-no

b7kxHo5-eCRAaApVogPI2Jr64CcWyLXqEus_kftzlQ=w622-h414-p-no

WRevNjf902Sh9c6vOXMKi_eWo_1MQ3fJkKGYDZ7ehQ=w622-h414-p-no

aPdv4Qwrffn8VSy4-2BhNmmFlJ2pYNuld1xOnw7bcA=w622-h414-p-no

4MFzWeYATB7er3WwGouJTyzDHmmJqKo0j49SX6mdIw=w578-h382-p-no

Well here is a better idea... Just get some wide clear tape, I'd use some clear shelf liner like for cabinets and stick it to the back of the phone then draw your pattern. Peel that off the phone and lay it on some wax paper then glue the leather onto the non stick side of it and cut out the pattern. It is really just a square cutout, the hardest part would be the camera hole. Thank God this thing doesn't have a flash because cutting out that hole was a PITA. That way you will have sticky on one side and leather on the other.

The shelf liner is like 5 bucks at any grocery store.
    .jpg
    Wow, that's fantastic. Did you glue it to the back?

Thanks dude. Nah, I used some 3m double stick tape. It's the stuff I believe they use to put spoilers on cars. That leather isn't going anywhere. You can see how I laid it down in the second pic. I double stuck it onto an illumishield back screen protector so I can easily peel it off and put it back on at will with no loss of stickiness in case I want to switch back to my incipio case.