Offline GPS Solution for Android? (no data plan needed, just like Windows Mobile GPS)

Search This thread

xplus93

May 25, 2010
truly if you have a smartphone, and don't use internet on it you are defeating the purpose of a smartphone, so you should really get a data plan for a smartphone, its kinda why the carriers force you into it now. on the other hand i used to kinda have the same situation, i was an add-on line and the account holder didn't want data. i figured one thing out, winmo for no data plan, android for data plan, unless you have constant wifi, and what i did for android gps, was get the route before i left from google maps and it would still keep a gps fix

Okluzhion

Aug 7, 2011
Google Pixel 4a
truly if you have a smartphone, and don't use internet on it you are defeating the purpose of a smartphone, so you should really get a data plan for a smartphone

Do you think data plans are the same in all countries? They can have sky-high prices.
I have 1GB (+100 free minutes for calls and 50 free SMS) for around $12 (60kn) a month. I think that's pretty ok.
But I still want a GPS app that allows me to use offline maps for navigation.

jp_iles

Apr 6, 2009
I'm not sure all of you have considered all possible reasons for wanting an offline GPS system and the flaming of the OP is just stupid.

I got to this thread because I'm after the same thing - an offline GPS system that I can use without having to have a live data connection. I have a cheap unlimited data plan, but that all goes to sh1t when you're in the mountains and have sucky reception. You're travelling happily down a route when all of a sudden there's traffic or some other reason to warrant a change of road. But you're out of range from the nearest tower. With an online system, you're buggered. I've had it with that dependancy, it sucks botty.

So - does anyone have any sensible advice for finding an offline Android GPS system that someone can use IRRESPECTIVE of their reasons for wanting on?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: dasnitin

Keyosuke

Dec 16, 2006
On the topic of GPS without a data plan, I've been wanting this forever. I'm glad so many people have suggested apps. I'm going to try all of these ideas. If I find a winner, I'll probably come back and thank you all again. Extra thanks to the OP for having the balls to continue insisting that this is a noble question that needs answering, because as time goes by, more people get a chance to answer it.

This thread cracks me up, because I just bought a phone with no data plan, no voice plan, and no plan to get any of those plans. Why? Because an Android portable device isn't always a "Smartphone" unless you use it as a "Smartphone".

To a developer, like a few of the people who read this thread probably are, an Android device is a device that can be used to satisfy many needs. I've used "Phones" as ebook readers since 2000, before Kindle was an idea in anyones head. I've used the HTC Universal as an entire PC for over a year, for nearly everything, and that was around 2005. I know a few friends that will drop hundreds on Arduino hardware to make a robot, an electronically controlled fish feeding system, or other bizarre custom applications, and they're all switching to Android for that type of use, simply because an Android phone can do many of the same things, and much more more, for a lower price. It's a shame so many people have repeated over and over again how Android = Smartphone. That's a little ridiculous from my point of view. I think the very developers who make Android, as well as the smart folks that port it from device to device are among the people who appreciate that Android will probably control your refridgerator someday, if not be the OS that runs on your commercially purchased GPS device. So, for that matter, why is it so crazy to use an Android device without a dataplan? I'm planning on using my 1GHZ Snapdragon processor carrying "HTC Droid Incredible" as an mp3 player, portable movie player, ebook reader, GPS (NOT A-GPS), Music Composer, Digital Recorder, Word Processor, and VOIP Client. Look up the cost of an 802.11g enabled VIOP phone, or an mp3 player that also plays DVD encoded movies and tell me again how I shouldn't buy an Android device sold as a "Smartphone" without a dataplan. And I have no problem affording data plans. I live in the US and have had unlimited for the past 5 years on a different phone. I don't see how that is relevant. I like to hike and dataplans don't work on the side of mountains surrounded by other mountains and no wireless base stations.

Last edited:
Reactions: spikeekips

Spey

Nov 9, 2007
Keyosuke, excellent comments.

I have been dual-booting Android/WinMo since v1.6, and this same issue has been a primary reason for not fully committing to Android (functional device OS independent of broad-band-connectivity).

Stand alone GPS (vs. A-GPS with Big Brother watching you wherever you are ...) is my preferential use. Making "tracks" while riding MTB trails, etc. outside of cel and/or broadband coverage areas, hunting, fishing, etc. in non-urban surrounds (read no coverage areas), on the hwy's in same types of areas (with forethought to have maps stored on SD-card, etc.). Numerous are the reasons for using a "Smartphone" without data-coverage-plan (I think that when the industry moved away from "PocketPC" descriptive onto "Smartphone" was a step in the wrong direction).

I would like to also like to request consideration for development of Android OS functionality independent of live data-connection. Whether it's because user chooses no-data-plan or coverage-not-available should make no difference.

Respectfully,

mrkite38

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 30, 2009
California
Guys, it's a different world than when this thread was started two years ago. Internal storage space on Vogue is 256MB. Yes, MB. Sdcards were 4GB or MAYBE 8 if you were willing to really fork out. Vogue doesn't have the horsepower to play HD video. You could still purchase a smartphone without a data plan and screw yourself on data charges.

Bottom line, windows mobile was designed with a 'data when necessary' philosophy. Android was clearly designed for always on. Our beef with the OP was his frustration about no offline GPS solutions for a BRAND NEW mobile OS that was designed to be always connected. We were sure it would happen eventually, but we didn't think it was a major failing that it didn't exist.

And, don't forget, the industry doesn't make money on your cell phone without those pesky data plans. That's why the philosophy changed, and that's why you can't get a smartphone without a data package.

Last edited:

Truefire

Jun 6, 2010
Rochester
since no one seems to have provided a solution...

Check this out, it's the only app that has worked for me:

sygic (dot) com

No links because I can't, forum rules :(

I got it today after testing several 'offline' options. I do not have a data plan since I went from having a job to just being a student again.

mileruma

Feb 25, 2009
canada
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
co-pilot

One of the best software to use offline on the phone or tablet. it cost little more but this is one safe software even for trucking industry. it will use internal gps from your phone. I used this soft. on nexus s.

drizzy77

May 16, 2012
Offline Android GPS List - No Internet Required

There are many offline Android GPS apps. Here are some of the better ones:

*CoPilot
NavDroid
*MapDroyd
IGoMyWay
Locus
*Sygic
Orux
*TomTom
*Navigon
*NDrive
Navitel
*NavFree
TravelDroyd
Navit

* Seem to be the highest rated, but YMMV. :)

You can also download Google Maps for any area and use them offline, but you won't get vocal navigation or online directions, just GPS-sync'ed maps, like a paper map.

Many of these apps are FREE, and some are very inexpensive. No need to spend a lot of money.

The OSM Project (open street map) provides free maps that are used on a wide range of Android apps (openstreetmap dot org)

Before you commit to any app, always download a demo and use it for a few days.

Reactions: freefaling

terrymc

Oct 31, 2008
San Angelo , Tx
*sigh*, I also tried iGo My Way v8.4.x with Texas maps, and when I start it up it says something to the extent of 'could not find application database', then just closes...

This is getting kinda expensive, now that I have bought iGo maps and CoPilot 8...is there really NOBODY that is trying to use GPS without data (i.e. like we have for years on WinMo? Seems silly to have to pay for a data plan to get GPS working, since it is a satnav chip). Just wondering if I am the only one who finds this unacceptable.

Thanks,

I agree with you, if a tom tom can run gps without data, then why can't you use it on phone without using data, just another way to use your data up, when you could use it for something else. Isn't it almost like ILLEGAL to charge for something that is FREE?

Jul 18, 2018
Noida
Ok...in order for me to keep Android on my Touch and not go back to Windows Mobile, there MUST be an offline GPS solution for Android. By that I mean GPS software that reads maps from the SD card and does not need a data connection on the phone at all; like TomTom does on Windows Mobile - it has all the POIs stored on the SD card (including their phone number) so I can get directions, look up numbers, and directly call businesses from the GPS app without ever needing any internet connectivity. I have a 16GB card, so storing maps of the whole USA won't be a problem....did it just fine in WinMo using TomTom...

So, does anyone know of a GPS application that can do this for Android? Having to connect to the internet for GPS maps (like Google maps) is just unacceptable, especially since GPS has been free through satellites for decades now. Bottom line - I just want GPS to work like it did on Windows Mobile...no data plan needed, and maps stored locally on the SD card. Easy and fast.

If this is not possible then it is very apparent that TomTom on WinMo is far superior to any Android GPS solution, and I will be forced to switch back.

Hi there,
Yeah! there are few such android apps which lets you save offline maps in your devices and you don't even need a data connection for that. These apps prompt you to download chunks of available maps. You just need the appropriate space in your device. Find them below:

MapFactor GPS Navigation Maps
GPS Navigation and Maps Sygic (Powered bty TomTom)
CoPilot GPS Sat-Nav Navigation

These are easily available on the Google Play Store and are worth a try.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MapDroyd......
    HA

I have always been a WinMo user and had Garmin XT on an LG Incite and it worked sooo swift - with NO DATA PLAN.

Here is an explanation for those of you who have been badgering crobs808:

1) (Data plan for 48 mo.) x ($25 a month Data on ATT) = $1200.

^Hell no,

2) I buy an unlocked phone online for $130, find a GPS program, find maps.

Worked sometimes quicker than my brother's Sony Navigation.

Crobs is simply looking for GPS application development on Android. And I'm now in the same boat with Android, and it appears the progress is poor.
    I'm not sure all of you have considered all possible reasons for wanting an offline GPS system and the flaming of the OP is just stupid.

I got to this thread because I'm after the same thing - an offline GPS system that I can use without having to have a live data connection. I have a cheap unlimited data plan, but that all goes to sh1t when you're in the mountains and have sucky reception. You're travelling happily down a route when all of a sudden there's traffic or some other reason to warrant a change of road. But you're out of range from the nearest tower. With an online system, you're buggered. I've had it with that dependancy, it sucks botty.

So - does anyone have any sensible advice for finding an offline Android GPS system that someone can use IRRESPECTIVE of their reasons for wanting on?

Cheers.
    On the topic of GPS without a data plan, I've been wanting this forever. I'm glad so many people have suggested apps. I'm going to try all of these ideas. If I find a winner, I'll probably come back and thank you all again. Extra thanks to the OP for having the balls to continue insisting that this is a noble question that needs answering, because as time goes by, more people get a chance to answer it.

This thread cracks me up, because I just bought a phone with no data plan, no voice plan, and no plan to get any of those plans. Why? Because an Android portable device isn't always a "Smartphone" unless you use it as a "Smartphone".

To a developer, like a few of the people who read this thread probably are, an Android device is a device that can be used to satisfy many needs. I've used "Phones" as ebook readers since 2000, before Kindle was an idea in anyones head. I've used the HTC Universal as an entire PC for over a year, for nearly everything, and that was around 2005. I know a few friends that will drop hundreds on Arduino hardware to make a robot, an electronically controlled fish feeding system, or other bizarre custom applications, and they're all switching to Android for that type of use, simply because an Android phone can do many of the same things, and much more more, for a lower price. It's a shame so many people have repeated over and over again how Android = Smartphone. That's a little ridiculous from my point of view. I think the very developers who make Android, as well as the smart folks that port it from device to device are among the people who appreciate that Android will probably control your refridgerator someday, if not be the OS that runs on your commercially purchased GPS device. So, for that matter, why is it so crazy to use an Android device without a dataplan? I'm planning on using my 1GHZ Snapdragon processor carrying "HTC Droid Incredible" as an mp3 player, portable movie player, ebook reader, GPS (NOT A-GPS), Music Composer, Digital Recorder, Word Processor, and VOIP Client. Look up the cost of an 802.11g enabled VIOP phone, or an mp3 player that also plays DVD encoded movies and tell me again how I shouldn't buy an Android device sold as a "Smartphone" without a dataplan. And I have no problem affording data plans. I live in the US and have had unlimited for the past 5 years on a different phone. I don't see how that is relevant. I like to hike and dataplans don't work on the side of mountains surrounded by other mountains and no wireless base stations.
    Offline Android GPS List - No Internet Required

There are many offline Android GPS apps. Here are some of the better ones:

*CoPilot
    NavDroid
    *MapDroyd
    IGoMyWay
    Locus
    *Sygic
    Orux
    *TomTom
    *Navigon
    *NDrive
    Navitel
    *NavFree
    TravelDroyd
    Navit

* Seem to be the highest rated, but YMMV. :)

You can also download Google Maps for any area and use them offline, but you won't get vocal navigation or online directions, just GPS-sync'ed maps, like a paper map.

Many of these apps are FREE, and some are very inexpensive. No need to spend a lot of money.

The OSM Project (open street map) provides free maps that are used on a wide range of Android apps (openstreetmap dot org)

Before you commit to any app, always download a demo and use it for a few days.