[Script]CPU Sleeper A100 Discontinued

Search This thread

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
Hey all, back again with a new present! I guess my hiatus didn't last that long.

This time I present to you a script that will in theory (and so far for me, in reality) save us some battery without having to risk our hardware with undervolting! I present to you...

CPU Sleeper

What is it?
Its a fairly simple script that will put CPU 1 OFFLINE when the screen turns off. Once the screen comes back on, it will allow CPU 1 back ONLINE.

How does it work?
Since we have dual core CPUs, we have a CPU 0 and a CPU 1, core 1 and core 2, while the screen is off we really only need to have 1 core active, this script will make sure CPU 1 shuts off while the screen is off, then resumes normal usage when the screen comes back on.

Who do we thank for this awesome script?
eugene373 is the one that released this for the T989 (the phone I use) and I thought, hey, with our crappy battery life, we could use this! So, I asked his permission to repost it over here for us, and he was great with his reply, be sure to stop by and give him a thanks!
Here is his original release thread.

WARNING! READ THIS!
This script relies on init.d OR script manager! CM9, for some reason, tends to run this at the exact same time it runs some other script (I forget atm which) and it will clash, causing no boot! CM9 users MUST use the script manager version install! Flex Reaper appears to work fine with it as init.d. I strongly urge you to use the script manager version of this, NOT the flashable version. Always make a nandroid backup before modifying the system, including this!

Instructions
Available in 2 versions, script only version which you can place wherever you want and run however you want, or a CWM/TWRP flashable zip that will place the file for you in /system/etc/init.d and set permissions.

Version 1: Flashable
Same as any of my flashable releases, I did most of the work for you!
Make a full backup
Download to external SD card
Install from SD card
Pick the cpu sleeper zip file
it'll be almost instant
reboot
Shouldn't be any need to clear caches or anything like that.

Version 2: Script only
This can be run in 2 ways, via init.d support, or via script manager. Both are pretty similar, and can be done a number of ways, however this is the basis of how.

Init.d supported kernel:
Make a backup!
Download the script file, making sure no extensions get added onto the file. Copy the file to /system/etc/init.d and set the permissions to the following:
XOX
XOX
XOX
Once done, reboot the system, and it will take effect when your system is finished rebooting.

Script Manager
This method is probably the better method, and should work with any kernel/ROM. Download the script file, making sure no file extensions get added, and copy it to /system/etc. Set the file permissions to:
XOX
XOX
XOX
Once done, load up script manager, select browse as root (if it isn't already set from the crossix mod method in the guide) then browse to /system/etc and select the script file S98cpu_sleep, then select ROOT and BOOT options. After this is set, reboot system.

What do I do if I can't boot after using this?
You made that backup, right? Ok, then here is what you do.
Hold the power button until the tablet powers off
Press and hold the volume down button, next to the screen lock switch
Press and hold Power (while holding volume down)
Once the recover kernel message comes up, release the buttons
In CWM go to advanced, mounts, mount system, then format system
In TWRP, go to wipe, then wipe system
In CWM go to restore, advanced restore, restore ONLY system
In TWRP select restore, then uncheck all so ONLY system is checked
After restoring system, wipe cache and dalvik cache, then reboot system.
System should boot normally.

Downloads
Available in 2 versions, script only version which you can place wherever you want and run however you want, or a CWM/TWRP flashable zip that will place the file for you in /system/etc/init.d and set permissions.

CPU Sleeper Flashable zip
CPU Sleeper script only

Last edited:

Deshabilitado

Nov 26, 2011
Puebla
Nice do u think this can help me with my sleep of death? Im having that bug ... its not that bad but i guess if this would help me with that

Enviado desde mi A100 usando XDA Premium HD app

illego

Aug 12, 2010
So that's where Eugene went. He was a godsend when he was developing for the vibrant. His stuff is always top notch. Will try this out and let you know.

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk 2

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
Nice do u think this can help me with my sleep of death? Im having that bug ... its not that bad but i guess if this would help me with that

Honestly I don't know, I've never had SoD on my Acer so I didn't even know it was much of a problem. You could try it, but I don't think it'll do much to help that issue. For me I've found turning off wifi when I plug it in for the night helps with SoD issues on my other devices. And in developer options check keep awake. That usually helps.

Tapatalked from my Galaxy S II.

Reactions: Deshabilitado

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
So that's where Eugene went. He was a godsend when he was developing for the vibrant. His stuff is always top notch. Will try this out and let you know.

Yeah he's been hammering out kernels for us since we got ICS and source on the 11th, busting ass and making some awesome kernels!

Edit: I mean he's been there longer then that, just he's been working on kernels lately lol

Reactions: Deshabilitado

gertjanad

Mar 7, 2012
The install method true CWM gives me:

E: Error in /sdcard/clockworkmod/CPU_Sleeper-A100.zip (status 0)
Installation aborted.

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
Thanks for that, never seen it or heard of it before. Either way I'm going to go back over it and double check, and add a /system/etc version for use with script manager. Same basic flash, just not in init.d. While I'm at it, I'm thinking of making a flasher for SU, for those having issues with SU and busybox.

linuxsociety

Dec 18, 2010
Southern Kentucky
Try: busybox ps l |grep nameofscript

You will need busybox and grep binaries in your rom, neither are provided with stock but both should be if you are using cm9/10.

Sent from my A100 using xda premium

Reactions: pio_masaki

SGH-i200

Aug 31, 2009
Sony Xperia XZ1
Google Pixel 2
Original ICS ROM is not supporting init.d, right?

The install method true CWM gives me:

E: Error in /sdcard/clockworkmod/CPU_Sleeper-A100.zip (status 0)
Installation aborted.

I got that error, too! Redownloaded to check.

Since "flashable zip that will place the file for you in /system/etc/init.d and set permissions" it has to be that way on original ICS ROM (not supporting init.d), right? :confused:

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
Re: [Script]CPU Sleeper A100

I got that error, too! Redownloaded to check.

Since "flashable zip that will place the file for you in /system/etc/init.d and set permissions" it has to be that way on original ICS ROM (not supporting init.d), right? :confused:

No, that just means it puts the file there and sets the permissions, it doesn't need anything to be there first. Why would it already need to be there?

If stock ICS doesn't support init.d then this won't magically make it work, you'll need a new kernel.

Sent from my HTC DNA

mixednuts

Sep 30, 2007
Yeah I missed this one when I was marking them before. I no longer actively support the a100 as of a few days ago. I'll still respond and over some support on my past projects, just won't update anything.

Not much you can do without physcially having an a100 :p

Plus, I'm sure the Nexus 7 is much more fun!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all, back again with a new present! I guess my hiatus didn't last that long.

This time I present to you a script that will in theory (and so far for me, in reality) save us some battery without having to risk our hardware with undervolting! I present to you...

CPU Sleeper

What is it?
    Its a fairly simple script that will put CPU 1 OFFLINE when the screen turns off. Once the screen comes back on, it will allow CPU 1 back ONLINE.

How does it work?
    Since we have dual core CPUs, we have a CPU 0 and a CPU 1, core 1 and core 2, while the screen is off we really only need to have 1 core active, this script will make sure CPU 1 shuts off while the screen is off, then resumes normal usage when the screen comes back on.

Who do we thank for this awesome script?
    eugene373 is the one that released this for the T989 (the phone I use) and I thought, hey, with our crappy battery life, we could use this! So, I asked his permission to repost it over here for us, and he was great with his reply, be sure to stop by and give him a thanks!
    Here is his original release thread.

WARNING! READ THIS!
    This script relies on init.d OR script manager! CM9, for some reason, tends to run this at the exact same time it runs some other script (I forget atm which) and it will clash, causing no boot! CM9 users MUST use the script manager version install! Flex Reaper appears to work fine with it as init.d. I strongly urge you to use the script manager version of this, NOT the flashable version. Always make a nandroid backup before modifying the system, including this!

Instructions

Version 1: Flashable
    Same as any of my flashable releases, I did most of the work for you!
    Make a full backup
    Download to external SD card
    Install from SD card
    Pick the cpu sleeper zip file
    it'll be almost instant
    reboot
    Shouldn't be any need to clear caches or anything like that.

Version 2: Script only
    This can be run in 2 ways, via init.d support, or via script manager. Both are pretty similar, and can be done a number of ways, however this is the basis of how.

Init.d supported kernel:
    Make a backup!
    Download the script file, making sure no extensions get added onto the file. Copy the file to /system/etc/init.d and set the permissions to the following:
    XOX
    XOX
    XOX
    Once done, reboot the system, and it will take effect when your system is finished rebooting.

Script Manager
    This method is probably the better method, and should work with any kernel/ROM. Download the script file, making sure no file extensions get added, and copy it to /system/etc. Set the file permissions to:
    XOX
    XOX
    XOX
    Once done, load up script manager, select browse as root (if it isn't already set from the crossix mod method in the guide) then browse to /system/etc and select the script file S98cpu_sleep, then select ROOT and BOOT options. After this is set, reboot system.

What do I do if I can't boot after using this?
    You made that backup, right? Ok, then here is what you do.
    Hold the power button until the tablet powers off
    Press and hold the volume down button, next to the screen lock switch
    Press and hold Power (while holding volume down)
    Once the recover kernel message comes up, release the buttons
    In CWM go to advanced, mounts, mount system, then format system
    In TWRP, go to wipe, then wipe system
    In CWM go to restore, advanced restore, restore ONLY system
    In TWRP select restore, then uncheck all so ONLY system is checked
    After restoring system, wipe cache and dalvik cache, then reboot system.
    System should boot normally.

Downloads

CPU Sleeper Flashable zip
    CPU Sleeper script only

Honestly I don't know, I've never had SoD on my Acer so I didn't even know it was much of a problem. You could try it, but I don't think it'll do much to help that issue. For me I've found turning off wifi when I plug it in for the night helps with SoD issues on my other devices. And in developer options check keep awake. That usually helps.

Yeah he's been hammering out kernels for us since we got ICS and source on the 11th, busting ass and making some awesome kernels!

Edit: I mean he's been there longer then that, just he's been working on kernels lately lol

Where i found that, setting-> then what?

Settings, all the way at the bottom by about tablet, developer options, then third down, stay awake.

Thank you man u really rocks! I hope u still with us helping noobs like me

Sent from my GT-S5670 using xda premium

Lol I'm just not taking on anymore projects, I'll still be around the forum :cool: