[Q] LG G2 Rom Questions

Search This thread

CombustLemonz

Jan 11, 2014
Winchester
I am going to be getting a LG G2 Verizon - VS980 and I am fimliar with rooting but not with custom roms. I have a Nexus 10 so I never felt the need to fiddle with ROMs. I wanna install CyanogenMod Release candidate. I heard freegee and root are needed to install something that is needed for custom roms but I just don't quite have a full grasp on it. I am new at ROMs but not at rooting. Could someone point me in the right direction? Also I have a few questions.

Is the VS980 correct LG G2 for Verizon to get downloads from the CyanogenMod site?
Do you recommend any other roms besides CM? I like the Nexus line because it is simply stock android but I do like the feature over overclocking that CM offers I think with its 2Ghz it would be uneeded.

spinninbsod

May 17, 2013
new york city
If your already on Verizon this about the best android device you can get right now I personally prefer the nexus 5 but I'm on Verizon so no nexus devices for us except the galaxy nexus which i maymake my my backup device oh and if you plan on getting the lg g2 you might wanna get one soon before you get an lg g2 with firmware that patches Loki

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

Oh and yes the vs980 is the correct model number for CyanogenMod

---------- Post added at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

I'm on liquidsmooth I find it very stable occasionally freezes that's with all custom ROMs especially kitkat ROMs sometimes you have to hard reset which stinks but it will get more stable

Reactions: CombustLemonz

Art Vanderlay

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 2, 2014
Melbourne
I am going to be getting a LG G2 Verizon - VS980 and I am fimliar with rooting but not with custom roms. I have a Nexus 10 so I never felt the need to fiddle with ROMs. I wanna install CyanogenMod Release candidate. I heard freegee and root are needed to install something that is needed for custom roms but I just don't quite have a full grasp on it. I am new at ROMs but not at rooting. Could someone point me in the right direction? Also I have a few questions.

Is the VS980 correct LG G2 for Verizon to get downloads from the CyanogenMod site?
Do you recommend any other roms besides CM? I like the Nexus line because it is simply stock android but I do like the feature over overclocking that CM offers I think with its 2Ghz it would be uneeded.
You don't need root to flash custom roms you just need to unlock your bootloader

you can find that guide here
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2224020

Personally I'd just root it since your new rom will be rooted anyway, it just makes life easier, and there are easier methods of unlocking the bootloader using root apps.

To answer your other questions I don't believe the cyanogenmod installer works on your device but it wouldn't hurt to give a shot. If your looking for a stock android feel cyanogen's the way to go I'd highly recommend it over any stock rom but try things for yourself and see what you like best.

Reactions: CombustLemonz

CombustLemonz

Jan 11, 2014
Winchester
If your already on Verizon this about the best android device you can get right now I personally prefer the nexus 5 but I'm on Verizon so no nexus devices for us except the galaxy nexus which i maymake my my backup device oh and if you plan on getting the lg g2 you might wanna get one soon before you get an lg g2 with firmware that patches Loki

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

I'm on liquidsmooth I find it very stable occasionally freezes that's with all custom ROMs especially kitkat ROMs sometimes you have to hard reset which stinks but it will get more stable

I am getting a LG G2 this Sunday or Saturday. Do you think that it will be to late? How do I tell if I have a version that has loki patched on it?

spinninbsod

May 17, 2013
new york city
I would not try this on the g2 maybe it works maybe it doesent

---------- Post added at 02:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 AM ----------

It shouldn't be to late were not expecting an ota till sometime in march you might be cutting it close depends when but as soon as you root install custom recovery or disable ota because lg will push updates to your device even if you say no and when your rooted it creates a mighty soft brick

Reactions: amsage3

annoyingduck

Aug 15, 2012
Boston, MA Area
I am getting a LG G2 this Sunday or Saturday. Do you think that it will be to late? How do I tell if I have a version that has loki patched on it?

You'll be good to go, probably not going to see an ota until the kk release which could be months away (Yay Verizon :p). I just got mine today (Verizon) rooted using this method:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48709232&postcount=869
And recovery using freegee. Effortless, and easy. Make sure you backup your efs in the freegee app and there is a better efs backup in the general section that you should do to.

And to reference another poster here, our bootloader is 100% locked. Root is required in order to apply the loki patch to flash a custom recovery. Loki allows a custom recovery to operate on the stock locked bootloader... You really won't know the difference from it being locked or unlocked.

-VZW LG G2 VS980

spinninbsod

May 17, 2013
new york city
I just looked closer this unlock method is for the optimus 4g different hardware everything is different lg went the more locked down root with the g2

amsage3

Sep 29, 2008
Do you mind going into a little more detail about the Loki patch? My buddy is pretty into this stuff (I'm not, but I have a Nexus 7 and prefer the stock version instead of LGs), and said he'd be able to help me...well, he has a GS4, and it took him a while to figure out something was wrong with the boot loader (communicating long distance)...now were kinda stuck, and don't know what to do. I'm in almost the exact same situation as OP...VZW G2 that I'd like to put CM on.

Also...I think I may have messed up big time and rooted my phone before making any recovery files...the poster above talking about the upcoming OTA bricking phones....am I just sitting on a ticking time bomb?

Garsh that xda forums noob video is making me feel awfully stupid right now :(

Last edited:

IamPro

Dec 2, 2010
Do you mind going into a little more detail about the Loki patch? My buddy is pretty into this stuff (I'm not, but I have a Nexus 7 and prefer the stock version instead of LGs), and said he'd be able to help me...well, he has a GS4, and it took him a while to figure out something was wrong with the boot loader (communicating long distance)...now were kinda stuck, and don't know what to do. I'm in almost the exact same situation as OP...VZW G2 that I'd like to put CM on.

Also...I think I may have messed up big time and rooted my phone before making any recovery files...the poster above talking about the upcoming OTA bricking phones....am I just sitting on a ticking time bomb?

Garsh that xda forums noob video is making me feel awfully stupid right now :(
If you have a recovery

http://youtu.be/ifi-ArGeTzQ

amsage3

Sep 29, 2008
If you have a recovery

(link)

I do have a recovery...have tried with Clockwork Mod and TWRP, but basically what happens is if I try to do a manual boot in to recovery mode using the keys on the back, it just actually goes through with the factory reset of the phone. If I try to do it through an app like CWM or TWRP, I get the LG splash screen, and then the android logo with its chest open and the red exclamation point over it. If I let it sit and do nothing on that graphic, eventually the phone just resets. There is nothing else on that screen but that graphic.

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

Even using Flashify, which claims to bypass this whole Lokis patch (still dont really understand what it is) didnt work...

annoyingduck

Aug 15, 2012
Boston, MA Area
I do have a recovery...have tried with Clockwork Mod and TWRP, but basically what happens is if I try to do a manual boot in to recovery mode using the keys on the back, it just actually goes through with the factory reset of the phone. If I try to do it through an app like CWM or TWRP, I get the LG splash screen, and then the android logo with its chest open and the red exclamation point over it. If I let it sit and do nothing on that graphic, eventually the phone just resets. There is nothing else on that screen but that graphic.

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

Even using Flashify, which claims to bypass this whole Lokis patch (still dont really understand what it is) didnt work...

Try to do through an app? You mean rom manager or twrp manager? If so it sounds like you still have the stock recovery, which would render those apps useless. Use the freegee app instead of flashify, it automatically downloads the correct recovery/loki patch and applies it.

Loki is simply a patch that tells the bootloader upon initial boot that it's OK to continue...Your bootloader is still locked, but the phone doesn't recognize that. If loki wasn't there, you'd just brick just like all the poor Verizon samsung users since the last update...

-VZW LG G2 VS980

amsage3

Sep 29, 2008
Try to do through an app? You mean rom manager or twrp manager? If so it sounds like you still have the stock recovery, which would render those apps useless. Use the freegee app instead of flashify, it automatically downloads the correct recovery/loki patch and applies it.

Loki is simply a patch that tells the bootloader upon initial boot that it's OK to continue...Your bootloader is still locked, but the phone doesn't recognize that. If loki wasn't there, you'd just brick just like all the poor Verizon samsung users since the last update...

-VZW LG G2 VS980

THANK YOU!!!

I know it may be common knowledge to some, but to a complete newbie, this was the one bit of information I was missing that made a very frustrating process very simple. Many thanks to you my friend, if I could hit more than just a button to express it I would :highfive:

annoyingduck

Aug 15, 2012
Boston, MA Area
THANK YOU!!!

I know it may be common knowledge to some, but to a complete newbie, this was the one bit of information I was missing that made a very frustrating process very simple. Many thanks to you my friend, if I could hit more than just a button to express it I would :highfive:

No problem. That's what these forums are all about... :cool:

-VZW LG G2 VS980

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

-VZW LG G2 VS980

You don't need root to flash custom roms you just need to unlock your bootloader

you can find that guide here
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2224020

Personally I'd just root it since your new rom will be rooted anyway, it just makes life easier, and there are easier methods of unlocking the bootloader using root apps.

To answer your other questions I don't believe the cyanogenmod installer works on your device but it wouldn't hurt to give a shot. If your looking for a stock android feel cyanogen's the way to go I'd highly recommend it over any stock rom but try things for yourself and see what you like best.
    I would not try this on the g2 maybe it works maybe it doesent

---------- Post added at 02:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 AM ----------

It shouldn't be to late were not expecting an ota till sometime in march you might be cutting it close depends when but as soon as you root install custom recovery or disable ota because lg will push updates to your device even if you say no and when your rooted it creates a mighty soft brick

You'll be good to go, probably not going to see an ota until the kk release which could be months away (Yay Verizon :p). I just got mine today (Verizon) rooted using this method:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48709232&postcount=869
    And recovery using freegee. Effortless, and easy. Make sure you backup your efs in the freegee app and there is a better efs backup in the general section that you should do to.

And to reference another poster here, our bootloader is 100% locked. Root is required in order to apply the loki patch to flash a custom recovery. Loki allows a custom recovery to operate on the stock locked bootloader... You really won't know the difference from it being locked or unlocked.

-VZW LG G2 VS980