SleepSense Beta - sleep cycle monitor and alarm

Search This thread

ash2093

Nov 19, 2008
Hi All

This is a beta application which monitors your sleep cycle, and sets a gently increasing alarm to go off at up to 30 minutes before your set alarm time (during your lightest sleep phase so that it's easier to wake up fresh). If you are interested in testing it, please download and install the CAB here:

CAB link removed because its a very old version, a much improved version will be released on this thread very soon.

You can click Menu>Export Chart as a JPG image, and Menu>Export CSV to see the raw data. Please include the chart and raw data if you send me a bug report etc.

Method of calculating lightest sleep phase: alarm can go off up to 30 minutes earlier than the set alarm time if you become more alert than you were at the lightest phase of the previous sleep cycle. If alarm does not go off early, as a failsafe it will always go off at the set time. The alarm does not affect any other alarms you may have set, so I would recommend setting some other alarm too as a failsafe.

Developers: I would appreciate it if I could find a keen .NET Compact Framework developer out there to open-source and maintain this project because I don't have any more time to work on this.

Regards
Ashfaq

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
All Windows Mobile 5, 6, 6.5 devices which have a gsensor/accelerometer. All resolutions supported. Tested on Touch HD.

CHANGE LOG:
- 2010-02-11
+ Improved UI, with volume slider.
+ New alarm music, gently increasing alarm volume and vibration.
+ Sleep time statistics.
+ Start menu icon.
+ Less CPU usage to conserve battery.
- 2010-02-07
+ Fixed bug where device did not wake up to sound alarm.
+ Improved the way the system switches to unattended mode to keep it running in background.
- 2010-02-06
+ Original release.

Last edited:

norgan

May 7, 2006
Sydney, AU
awesome i reuqested this a week or more ago, didn;t realise someone else was interested. i'll give it a shot. thankyou!

mike_dangerous

Dec 28, 2008
I tried this latest release on my Touch HD last night. I had two bars of battery left and it had run out by the time I woke up in the morning so the alarm didn't go off.

thomas0782

Aug 1, 2006
Hi Ashfaq,

great work in this short time. Are you going to release the project as open source and e.g. host it on codeplex?
Probably you should reconsider the name of the project or talk to the people from sleepsense.com for not running into trouble...

Greets,

Thomas

ash2093

Nov 19, 2008
Hi Ashfaq,

great work in this short time. Are you going to release the project as open source and e.g. host it on codeplex?
Probably you should reconsider the name of the project or talk to the people from sleepsense.com for not running into trouble...

Greets,

Thomas
Well spotted, I hadn't realised SleepSense.com was a trademark.

I would appreciate it if I could find a keen .NET Compact Framework developer out there to opensource and maintain this project because I don't have any more time to work on this.

djkasmic

Dec 16, 2006
just a stupid question?? how does it recognize the sleepphase?? like the iphone app, so you have to put the phone next to you in bed??

or does it recognize the breath-frequency with the mic?

Semicuda

May 26, 2009
Koblenz
It's measuring your movements using the accelerometers, so it works just like the iphone app.
And, even at this early stage, it's doing its job remarkably well :)

Meeko1981

Sep 1, 2008
Dunfermline
Really keen to try this out but the Placement Test does not seem to be working as far as I can tell. Started placement test, placed phone facedown on bed and then moved around. Didn't hear any sounds though? :confused:

Handest is an HD2.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Graeme

glennvho

Jan 14, 2010
I tried it the past night and it is great. :)
My battery drained about 25% so great power saving. Better than the previous version where I got about 50% battery drainage. So keep up the good work. :D

John Charles

Jan 9, 2009
Cheers for this, tried it last night and it worked great.

I know it's in beta now but a suggestion for full release would be to give the option to turn off the vibrate as part of the alarm (I'm a very light sleeper :eek:)

Running on TP2 btw

Arktronic

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 5, 2006
I would appreciate it if I could find a keen .NET Compact Framework developer out there to opensource and maintain this project because I don't have any more time to work on this.

I was considering writing an app like this myself when I stumbled upon this thread. If you'd like, I can take over development and put it up on CodePlex or Google Code.